PDA

View Full Version : stupid question about grips

toady
08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
The grips on my bmx bike need to come off . I'am taking the brakes off cause thats what I want to do. does anybody have any tips I don't have an air compressor or I would have all ready done that. thanks for the help:confused:

quad2xtreme
08-20-2007, 03:54 PM
garden hose...you will still need to put a hole in one of the ends. just use a 1/8" drill bit. Then, hold the metal end of the garden hose tightly against the grip.

Honestly, I've never done this but it seems it would work just like air pressure.

Good Luck. Let me know if it works.

infantry317
08-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Taking them OFF? A razor of some sort, safety knife and buy some new ones for like $12 :chinese:

But that's just me :devil:

DVXracer
08-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by infantry317
Taking them OFF? A razor of some sort, safety knife and buy some new ones for like $12 :chinese:

But that's just me :devil:

3exrider23
08-20-2007, 05:40 PM
m not positive to what your saying but if you want the grips off without cutting them i would trying like a hair dryer or something. im not exactly positive if it works but im pretty sure it should. if i were you id just cut them though.

Scott-300ex
08-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Ride your bike to the gas station, they got compressors to fill up your tires.

416exfreak
08-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Take a flat head screw driver and run it all the way around the grip, between the grip and the bar...it will break the glue's hold and then youll have to twist them off, which can still be a PITA...

Id cut em off and buy new ones...

www.Danscomp.com

spdygonzalez450
08-20-2007, 07:57 PM
get a flathead screw driver pry up one end and spray hairspray in it and than do it on the other side. than you should be able to twist the grip off, than you can do the same thing with putting them on dont use a ton tho. and since it is sticky you will be able to ride the bike shortly after you do it. Compressed air works great as well.

toady
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
thanks for all the help.. the air compressor at the gas station would have been smart except my bike was in pieces at the time lol..I really like my grips now, and I dont' really have 12 bucks yea I know its sad..I ended up with a flat head screw driver and w-d 40. another question for people who are good with bikes. how do I get my back axle in a straight line like even between the frame and keep my chain tight. I like to run my chain tighter than most and I can't seem to figure it out

infantry317
08-21-2007, 06:27 AM
The most sure way I know (since your swingarm markings, tabs, etc. can be off) is to measure from the center of the swingarm pivot bolt on the frame back to the axle on each side. If you run the chain too tight you'll snap er off the next time you do a good size jump.

Good luck

toady
08-21-2007, 09:40 AM
that could work even though my bike dosn't have a swing-arm pivot bolt.. its hard to explain like its a left side drive and i pull the right side back farther than the left and its tight, but when I make them even its loose:confused:

YAMERNA
08-21-2007, 10:29 AM
I have done this manny times get a can of WD40 with the red extender it works great

toady
08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
yup it worked like a charm and spay paint is good for making it sticky again just be sure it dosn't drip on the frame :mad:

Raptor68
08-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Hairspray also works well for helping them stick to the bars...plus it doesn't hurt your paint.

toady
08-21-2007, 12:42 PM
I tried hairspray but it didn't work at all :confused: maybe I didn't use enough.. thanks for the help everyone