PDA

View Full Version : Which Synthentic Oil to go with?

Ted J
08-20-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm wondering what is the best Synthetic oil to go with on my 440EX? I'm wanting an oil that won't cause any transmission noise or shifting issues. Which oil and what weight should I go with? I'll be riding in Georgia and mostly in the fall but the temps should be in the 40's and 50's.

The brands of Oil I've been looking into are:

Mobil 1 - Kind of spendy, don't know if it's even a Synthetic or not.

Silkolene
Bel-Ray
Maxima
PJ1
Repsol
MoroRex

Any suggestions or do you guys by chance use these oils in your 400EX?

Thanks!

250x_kyle
08-20-2007, 12:00 PM
none dont use synthentic oil

Ted J
08-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle

Take it just stick with the regular Honda oil then?

EX LONERIDER
08-20-2007, 12:08 PM
i have personally seen royal purple make a noticable diffrence. i have a buddy who dont run anything but that in his bikes... especially his restored vintage bikes.

he used to run the best spectro, bel-ray, mobil-1 oil. we would go ride out to the country on our bikes and the bike would get hot. especially the sidecases where you couldnt even touch em after we got there. tried some royal purple and when we got out there, he swore the bike picked up some power. we touched the cases and thing was dead cool.this was on an old Norton 850 commando. im sold on it.

Ted J
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
i have personally seen royal purple make a noticable diffrence. i have a buddy who dont run anything but that in his bikes... especially his restored vintage bikes.

he used to run the best spectro, bel-ray, mobil-1 oil. we would go ride out to the country on our bikes and the bike would get hot. especially the sidecases where you couldnt even touch em after we got there. tried some royal purple and when we got out there, he swore the bike picked up some power. we touched the cases and thing was dead cool.this was on an old Norton 850 commando. im sold on it.

I take it this was the oil he was running?

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mcycle.html

If so, do you use it in your EX?

my88r
08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
im running specto 20-50 can i just change to a differnt oil or do i need to run spectro. where did you find royal purple.

fastredrider44
08-20-2007, 01:32 PM
I run Kendall GT-1 20w-50. Definately don't run synthetic. Its bad for the clutch.

JOEX
08-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Why not?

Originally posted by fastredrider44
I run Kendall GT-1 20w-50. Definately don't run synthetic. Its bad for the clutch.
Can you explain this?

Ace Sixx
08-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Try this:

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mcv.aspx

fastredrider44
08-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Well, first off, the motor is designed for petroleum based oils. But the wet-clutch transmissions like the 400s use begin to slip when used with a synthetic oil. Apparently they have some sort of additive in them that is not found in petroleum oils. That's what I've always been told. And I wouldn't believe it except a fourwheeler mechanic told me that.

Ted J
08-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Well, first off, the motor is designed for petroleum based oils. But the wet-clutch transmissions like the 400s use begin to slip when used with a synthetic oil. Apparently they have some sort of additive in them that is not found in petroleum oils. That's what I've always been told. And I wouldn't believe it except a fourwheeler mechanic told me that.

What if those synthetic oils were engineering and designed to be used with a wet clutch enviroment? I don't see an issue with it then, or am I off on something here?

The brands I have listed above are the ones I can easily get so that's why I wanted to find out which brand was best of that list. Now I'm leaning towards royal purple or Mobil 1. If I can get Mobil 1 at Wal-mart though that will make it a lot easier for sure.

sevans
08-20-2007, 02:10 PM
I use Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40. I have heard a lot of good things about it. What is great about it is you can get at Walmart 24/7 and it is cheap. Just my $.02.

250x_kyle
08-20-2007, 02:37 PM
your clutch does slip with synthetics. atleast mine did.

Ace Sixx
08-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Try the Amsoil that I listed above...

Provides Excellent Wet Clutch Performance...
AMSOIL MCV contains no friction modifiers and promotes smooth shifting and positive clutch engagement. AMSOIL MCV controls heat and prevents slippage and glazing, and its high TBN resists acids that can degrade clutch material, helping improve clutch life.

JOEX
08-20-2007, 03:24 PM
your clutch does slip with synthetics. atleast mine did.
You may have used the wrong kind. There are some available for wet clutch trannies but they are very expensive compared to regular oil.

flauge
08-21-2007, 02:11 AM
^ yep. Lots of the synthetics have moly in them which aint good for wet clutches... I dont think I'll ever go back to regular oil after running syn. The biggest difference i could tell is when shifting gears. Its a lot smoother than before... So far Im running Klotz Mx4 15/50 but I think i might switch over to Amsoil b/c i heard lots of good things about them.

EX LONERIDER
08-21-2007, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Ted J
I take it this was the oil he was running?

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mcycle.html

If so, do you use it in your EX?

yea. thats it right there. however, there is a motorcycle specific oil that he uses (that prevents the slipping of the clutch system) yes, some synthetics will cause your clutch to slip due to the "friction reduction" chemicals they have for regular motors.

ill look for it after i get back in but royal purple does make a wet clutch motorccle oil that ill be using. from everyone who's used it ive heard people use it and never go back to anything else. i still havent used it in mine since im in break in process. after i change it though thats whats going in it.

oh and yes, it will be a bit more pricey then the rest but what would you rather have? cost effective or a better lubed/running motor?