PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain

nickk
08-20-2007, 07:24 AM
do you guys pull the clutch basket out to put the timing chain on the Crankshaft gear?.. also how do you check for bent valves.

JOEX
08-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by nickk
do you guys pull the clutch basket out to put the timing chain on the Crankshaft gear?.. also how do you check for bent valves.
Yes, the clutch basket needs to be removed.

There may be other ways to check for bent valves but one way is to set the head upside down and pour a very thin liquid like gasoline over the valves, I don't know if water will work. If it seps past the valves then there is a problem.

nickk
08-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok thanks Joex one more question though, is it commen to bend valves when the timing chain snaps?

JOEX
08-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Yes, i'd considered it lucky if you don't.

nickk
08-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Yes, i'd considered it lucky if you don't.

I guess i'm lucky then because i Flipped the head upside down then put gas on it and the gas just sat there didnt seap through the valves or none came out of the exhaust / intake ports . Then tryed it with water and still the same so thats good news then.

gojk
08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
I guess i'm lucky then because i Flipped the head upside down then put gas on it and the gas just sat there didnt seap through the valves or none came out of the exhaust / intake ports . Then tryed it with water and still the same so thats good news then.

I would at least pull one intake and one exhaust valve and spin it to see if it is bent. It should spin perfectly true. If it is slightly bent it could wear the valves guides out very quickly. Also, if you are replacing the cam chain, I would order a new cam chain tensioner to go with the new cam chain. I opted to not replace the tensioner and, sure enough, it has come back to haunt me.

nickk
08-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by gojk
I would at least pull one intake and one exhaust valve and spin it to see if it is bent. It should spin perfectly true. If it is slightly bent it could wear the valves guides out very quickly. Also, if you are replacing the cam chain, I would order a new cam chain tensioner to go with the new cam chain. I opted to not replace the tensioner and, sure enough, it has come back to haunt me.

Hey thanks bro for the tips yeah I was planing on pulling the valves anyways because I'm putting on new seals and i'll check them by spining the valves, and did your tensioner cause your new chain to break or ?

gojk
08-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey thanks bro for the tips yeah I was planing on pulling the valves anyways because I'm putting on new seals and i'll check them by spining the valves, and did your tensioner cause your new chain to break or ?

Sorry for the delay on answering. When the tensionor broke, it let the chain come completely off of the cam sprocket and it got in a bind. It pulled hard enough that it put a flat spot on both cam bearings. It also bent all 4 valves, but luckily, since the chain came off, it didn't let the valves ruin the valve seats.

nickk
08-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by gojk
Sorry for the delay on answering. When the tensionor broke, it let the chain come completely off of the cam sprocket and it got in a bind. It pulled hard enough that it put a flat spot on both cam bearings. It also bent all 4 valves, but luckily, since the chain came off, it didn't let the valves ruin the valve seats.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.