PDA

View Full Version : water cooling a quad, maybe. +more

danney f
10-28-2002, 03:39 AM
I have been kicking this thought around and figured I would see what you guys/galls thought. I was thinking about getting a radiator from a 250r and buying the smallest electric water pump I can find. Than take something like copper tubing and rap around the head and jug in between the fins. I would hook it up to where the water pump would pump the water up through the tubing around the motor and back into the radiator. Thus cooling the top end of the motor. So what do you think, GOOD IDEA OR JUST PLAIN STUPID?

I just thought of another idea while I was typing the first one, it might not make that big of diferance in peformance to mess with, but here it is any way.

What if we made some kind of water jacket for the air tube coming into the carb?(like an intercooler for turbos) Something that would hold water around the air tube and attach air scoops to it to pull air in and cool down the incoming air, thus also makeing more power.
Just an idea.
Thanks

YZROOSTINYA
10-28-2002, 04:11 AM
lok at four stroke tech's website, he made the "real" version of watercooling a ex 400

he shaved all the fins of the head and made pockets then bumped it ip to 500cc and took a electric pump from a ktm 520. pretty neat. its under pictures

danney f
10-28-2002, 04:20 AM
Yea I saw it in dirt wheels a while back, big bucks there. I heard it didn't perform very well. I was just thinking that this would be something cheaper but do almost as good and it could be removed for winter ridding. I don't know it was just an idea I've been kicking around. Thanks for the reply though.

10-28-2002, 04:21 AM
pretty neat. And pretty expensive too!!

I am not sure how well the copper tubing would remove heat but I cant see why it wouldnt either.

This is just my opinion but the only thing I believe that would work correctly would be too cast a completely new head and cyl with the water cooling jackets or ports designed in it. Sure it would be expensive though unless there was a large production.

If you do the coper tubing please post the temp changes.

danney f
10-28-2002, 04:33 AM
This is just my opinion but the only thing I believe that would work correctly would be too cast a completely new head and cyl with the water cooling jackets or ports designed in it. Sure it would be expensive though unless there was a large production.

Yea that would most likly be the best way,but just lick you said expensive.
I am going to work on this idea some more this winter and so if I can come up with something better or differant.
Thanks for the replies.

crashinmatt
10-28-2002, 06:12 AM
the idea sounds cool, keep us informed on how things work out and if u actually try it.

danney f
10-28-2002, 07:20 AM
I most likely would of already tried it if it wasn't for haveing to find and BUY a radiator and pump.

EricB
10-28-2002, 10:31 AM
no copper is one of the better metals that disapate heat. i meen it might look kinda stupid i guess but if you don't care what does it matter? i personaly would try it but i'm still saving money to do preformance and suspension mods. but that could serriously work if you got the copper hot with out pinching it or bending it up to bad. it wouldn't work as well as say, water jackets on an engine. only because it has to go through the jug, to the tubing and to the water. who really knows though, but in theroy it should work.

danney f
10-28-2002, 07:03 PM
Copper tubeing was just an idea because its soft, bends easy, and disapates heat. I don't think it would look to hot either but like I said it's just an idea that I've been kicking around. Thanks for all the replies on this wild idea.

Sick0
10-28-2002, 08:08 PM
Sounds to bulky and a very practcal way to cool your motor.,