PDA

View Full Version : mud / water trouble?

casey_lamm
08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
humm...

I thought I was in the clear...maybe not.

I kindof burried my ex yesterday... everything up to the muffler was in mud / water... guess the whole was deeper then I thought. The engine was not turned over with water or anything covering the pipe...I was pretty careful about that.

What I got it out...started right up and rode the rest of the day..

Got home and had trouble starting it in the evening... sputtered and sounded liked it was flooding I guess...

Checked the air filter it was dry, I cleaned it and reinstalled, same result.

Cleared the air box drain, same result...

Now up until this point I have never had a problem with the engine starting really...always started fine...idled a little fast, but didn't have much trouble...

now when I want to give it gas after I get it going it wants to bog and stall out... im sure if I warm it up it will be fine...

my concern with that is before I nose dived into the mud/water It would respond to throttle w/o hesitation even if I just started it.

I didn't check/change the spark plug...dont know if that could be part of it...

What do I need to check?

hungus07trx400
08-19-2007, 08:20 PM
I wouldnt definetly check the plug, it could be fouled and it would be an easy thing to fix.

chris46250r
08-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Take the carb off and disassemble and clean everything. I had the same troubles from the 350x. After sitting all the crap that got sucked through the air filter into the carb has settled into the bowl. The 350 would always get trash in the pilot jet and it would pop and sputter because it was leaning it out something terrible.

casey_lamm
08-19-2007, 08:29 PM
sounds like a plan...

im hoping i didn't damage anything...i really dont think i could have...i mean i see people ride away from worse messes all the time.

Originally posted by chris46250r
Take the carb off and disassemble and clean everything. I had the same troubles from the 350x. After sitting all the crap that got sucked through the air filter into the carb has settled into the bowl. The 350 would always get trash in the pilot jet and it would pop and sputter because it was leaning it out something terrible.

chris46250r
08-19-2007, 08:39 PM
If there is no water in the oil the worst you have done is gunked up the carb.

casey_lamm
08-19-2007, 08:46 PM
crap...i was going to check that today and forgot...

oh well ill have my dad check it for me...

If there is no water in the oil the worst you have done is gunked up the carb.

cbr929rr
08-21-2007, 03:06 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but crap that gets by the air filter should pass straight through the carb throat and never get down near the pilot jet or bowl. Stuff that gets by the screen in the petcock will end up in the bowl of the carb and plug up main and pilot jets.