PDA

View Full Version : A arm wideners

cr977
08-19-2007, 06:59 PM
a arm wideners or extended a arms? are the a arm extenders worth it? do they work? they look kind of iffy to me here is a link, this link will expire soon so i will post a new link if i can find one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-400ex-450R-or-300ex-A-arms-Shocks-Wid-Kit_W0QQitemZ170138663962QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 70138663962

416exfreak
08-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Looks kinda shoddy to me....id just save up and get some a-arms...or if your to cheap for that, some wheel spacers.:ermm:

svahle
08-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I would not get that widening kit. Do a search and you will see that they have been discussed several times. The primary issue is that the widening kit adds bump steer because the pivot point of the a-arm is moved further from the pivot point of the tie rod/steering stem. The quad will not handle as well and can even be dangerous especially in corners.

If you want to widen your quad, stay away from the widening kits and wheel spacers (atleast in the front) The wheel spacers add feedback and magnify input from rocks or other bumps. Search this also if you want more indepth discussion.

My advice is to save up and get extended a-arms and axle. Remember that you will need a different shock set up when you add extended a-arms because shocks for standard width a-arms will be much too soft on extended a-arms. Unfortunately, there just isn't a cheap and effective way to safely widen a quad.

08-27-2007, 08:27 PM
yeah I would deffinately save the money for some suspension and wider a-arms. iSHOCK has a pretty good kit, their top of the line F8 shocks and either +1.5" or 2" a-arms for like 1400 or something like that

400exrider707
08-28-2007, 05:52 AM
Read the sticky at the top of the page in steering and suspension... should help you understand them a little more.;)

08-28-2007, 04:38 PM
oh, i never clicked the link, the diamond j customs have been know to hold up well actually. For a 400ex you will most likely be beating it more but on quads with a smaller stock width than a 400ex they work great and dont bend or anything.

400exrider707
08-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
oh, i never clicked the link, the diamond j customs have been know to hold up well actually. For a 400ex you will most likely be beating it more but on quads with a smaller stock width than a 400ex they work great and dont bend or anything.

The problem never was with the structural integrity of the kit (not that Im really sold on that either) but more on how it effects the handling characteristics of your quad.

svahle
08-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
The problem never was with the structural integrity of the kit (not that Im really sold on that either) but more on how it effects the handling characteristics of your quad.

You are exactly right! I don't care how well this type of widening kit holds up to abuse, it will adversely affect the handling of your quad. The whole point of widening a quad is to improve handling and cornering stability. The widening kits just don't fit the bill. With the added bump steer your quad will handle worse than in stock form in most types of riding. I suppose the widening kit could provide some benefits for a TT rider, but if you ride MX or trails with turns over less than smooth terrain, the added bump steer will be evident and a detriment to the handling of your quad.

Just trying to help! Good luck with your decision.

400exrider707
08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by svahle
You are exactly right! I don't care how well this type of widening kit holds up to abuse, it will adversely affect the handling of your quad. The whole point of widening a quad is to improve handling and cornering stability. The widening kits just don't fit the bill. With the added bump steer your quad will handle worse than in stock form in most types of riding. I suppose the widening kit could provide some benefits for a TT rider, but if you ride MX or trails with turns over less than smooth terrain, the added bump steer will be evident and a detriment to the handling of your quad.

Just trying to help! Good luck with your decision.

I agree with about 98% of that, I dont think its good for TT riders either...

One thing about custom suspension, it is designed around your riding style, so if your style is TT your shocks are going to be set up to use full travel on a TT course, either way, they are still traveling the same amount, and you will still get the same amount of bumpsteer. TT'ers leave the ground too, they are jumps on their courses. Other than that, you are exactly correct.:D

svahle
08-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I agree with about 98% of that, I dont think its good for TT riders either...

One thing about custom suspension, it is designed around your riding style, so if your style is TT your shocks are going to be set up to use full travel on a TT course, either way, they are still traveling the same amount, and you will still get the same amount of bumpsteer. TT'ers leave the ground too, they are jumps on their courses. Other than that, you are exactly correct.:D

Yeah you are probably right. I should have probably said flat track. But even then the wideners would probably not be recommended.

Lets just say this: Don't get the widening kits. Do it right, get shocks, a-arms, extended axle.

I know to do it right is much more expensive, but, unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast

EDIT: Geez I just used the word probably three times in a two sentence paragraph. :rolleyes: