PDA

View Full Version : starting in gear

wanta450
08-19-2007, 11:08 AM
my girlfriend has an 06 and she has started racing harescrambles with it and we start dead engine so i was wondering if and how we can make the bike start in gear. any help please or pcs on what to do thanks

tedwilley
08-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I have yet to see any info on disabling the neutral switch for the 250ex, although I am sure someone has done it.
However, if you are even considering a rev box (which extends the gears on the 250ex nicely), the one from AMR racing does disable the neutral switch electronically. You can start in any gear. The only annoying thing is the neutral light stays on as long as the key is on. This makes it an 'ignition on' light instead of an 'in neutral' light.
I have the AMR and really like it. 2 year warranty, also.

m.h.s.c.#527
08-19-2007, 12:33 PM
im not taking credit gasman did this

I had to move the key switch, indicator lights, and choke from the original plastic clamp cover to various places on the front plastic. It also had a neutral safety switch, so it would only start in neutral. I figured out how to bypass it with a ground wire. I ran it through a toggle switch I put in the dash, so when I turn the switch on it will start in gear, but with it off it reverts to normal and will only start in neutral.

wanta450
08-19-2007, 01:15 PM
so it can be done then do you really need that switch or can it just be ground out i dont see the point of the switch so the question now is what wire and where is it thanks

Gasman
08-19-2007, 02:51 PM
On the back of your tranny, from underneath the quad, there is a small steel guard held on by two 10mm bolts. Take the guard off and find the two wires that hook to the tranny. One is marked "R", the other "N". If you just want to bypass it permanently, just take the "N" wire off it's tranny terminal and ground it straight to the frame. Your neutral light will stay on, but such is life. :D

My switch idea was pretty slick, until I figured out that my switch wasn't mud and water proof. :rolleyes: The switch failed either from the mud of last weeks race or from the two hours of power and hand washing to get it clean. I had to re-do it yesterday to a straight ground so it would be ready for today's race.

250exkid
08-20-2007, 09:34 AM
yea they actually make togglle switch kits my bro bought one for his honda foreman 450 s footshift like the 250ex. and yea like the kid said you flip the switch and it will start ill have to see how it works but u guys really dont need to do that... like my bro did it so when his atv dies out in the mud thats past ur waist he need one but other wise u really might not need one for those races but then again i dont race so yea dont yell at me but thats my 14 cents worth of knolage

Dusty
08-20-2007, 04:48 PM
I modified an 02 to start in gear, and have the nuetral light work as it should. It has been so long I'd have to take a look to see what i did. I do know it was completely reversible if you decided to sell, or whatever. It was also very simple. (easy to say that now that I've figured it out, lol ) This is on an 02 though, so I dont know if wiring has changed.

I found this if it helps
start in gear mod (http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=347216)

jrafter
08-21-2007, 06:06 AM
just get a revbox and it will start in any gear

www.amrracing.com