PDA

View Full Version : Few questions regarding my rebuild.

2001400ex
08-19-2007, 10:55 AM
So I have a large portion of the quad disassembled, right now I am hoping/trying to remove the swingarm. Before I tried I did some searching here and it seems that the bolt that you need to remove to get the swingarm off is called the "swingarm pivot bolt"?

If so, is it this bolt in these pictures?

And, can anyone confirm that it is the bolt that is SUPPOSED to be a PITA to remove? Right now my only option is to cut it I'm thinking. Can anyone tell me where to cut? I would assume the opening on the right side in the first picture.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9593/dsc05446sh6.jpg

And also, do I have to remove this nut? As you can see it is starting to round, I've tried it with an impact wrench that can use 500 ft/lbs and it still doesn't move...

This nut is on the opposite side of the long bolt that runs across the stop of the swingarm, it is on the right side of the quad.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/554/dsc05447ke1.jpg

Thanks for all your help so far! Off to order more parts.:devil:

gcart2
08-19-2007, 11:03 AM
i c the pb blaster didnt help lol:p

2001400ex
08-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Absolutely not, the miracle fluid did not work this time. This is the only time it has failed.

Ace Sixx
08-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Did you try heating it up with a torch?

2001400ex
08-19-2007, 02:54 PM
No sir I did not try heating it with a torch. I am assuming heat all exposed areas with the torch then start pounding again?

If that doesn't work I am just going to throw it in the truck and bring it to a shop with a cutter and let them do it.

Ace Sixx
08-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
No sir I did not try heating it with a torch. I am assuming heat all exposed areas with the torch then start pounding again?

If that doesn't work I am just going to throw it in the truck and bring it to a shop with a cutter and let them do it.

Yeah. I'd be careful heating any aluminum parts with the torch, though.

Bill Fuller
08-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Do not put heat to it-heat expands the metal. The nut you are trying to get off is the end of the swing arm pivot bolt, once you remove the nut on teh other side you push it out. I have always had good luck with an air hammer .If not you can make a puller but I forget what site it was on that had that thread. To answer your question YES it is usually a Pain in the Arse to get out if you wait more than 6-8 months to remove it and regrease it with Anti-seize.Lean it on it's side and spray some penetrating oil on the bolt and swing arm areas and let it sit for a day or so while keeping it lubed then try a punch and a big hammer if you can't get an air hammer. Unfotunatley I have seen people have to use a plasma cutter to get them out:( Don't panic just yet.

2001400ex
08-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Ace Sixx
Yeah. I'd be careful heating any aluminum parts with the torch, though.

Yeah that is a good point. I ran into someone I know who had some problems removing their swingarm and they said they took it to a local shop and they cut it out for 20-25 dollars. I am going to call them actually tomorrow and see if it's true.

2001400ex
08-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Do not put heat to it-heat expands the metal. The nut you are trying to get off is the end of the swing arm pivot bolt, once you remove the nut on teh other side you push it out. I have always had good luck with an air hammer .If not you can make a puller but I forget what site it was on that had that thread. To answer your question YES it is usually a Pain in the Arse to get out if you wait more than 6-8 months to remove it and regrease it with Anti-seize.Lean it on it's side and spray some penetrating oil on the bolt and swing arm areas and let it sit for a day or so while keeping it lubed then try a punch and a big hammer if you can't get an air hammer. Unfotunatley I have seen people have to use a plasma cutter to get them out:( Don't panic just yet.

Bill,

Thanks for that post that was very helpful. The only thing is should I be punching it from the LEFT side of the quad out to the RIGHT, or should I be punching it from the RIGHT side of the quad out to the LEFT? I would imagine from L to R, right?

Bill Fuller
08-19-2007, 03:20 PM
None of those parts are aluminium:confused: If you can't get that nut to spin then that means you are not spinning the pivot bolt. That means that it has guaded to the other metal Try my advise first, but if someone would remove it for $25 I would load it right up:D I do believe they sell a pivot bolt that has a grease zerk but I forget who.

Bill Fuller
08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Sitting on the quad left to right.

2001400ex
08-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Awesome, thanks a lot Bill. I still have some stuff to do for today so I could always give it a shot. (What you said.)

Ace Sixx
08-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
None of those parts are aluminium:confused:

Isn't the engine case and swingarm aluminum?

Bill Fuller
08-20-2007, 04:58 AM
Yes that is correct I was talking about the bolt and frame area.

250x_kyle
08-20-2007, 12:32 PM
the swingarm is cast aluminum. i took my plastics rear breaks gas tank carb and air box out. already had the axle pulled and took a cutting torch in and made a cut. it didnt help so i ended up having to cuz my swingarm off. not to happy about that. and even after i cut my swingarm off and heated it up it wou ldnt pound out. i ended up cutting it in 5 places and pounding it out piece by piece. heated one up cherry red and pounded it out with a ratchet extention and a sledge. when i put it back to gether i packed the swingarm bearings full of greease and covered teh swingarm bolt in nosiez grease i put the ratchet on and turn it once a month if it feels tighter than the first time i pull it out and grease it again.