PDA

View Full Version : louder valve train noise

rooster300ex
08-19-2007, 10:38 AM
My 300 has had valve train noise since I put the webcam in there. Its normal I know that, but yesterday at the end of the day I could tell the valve train was louder. I just got the engine looked through because I had to put a new tranny in it. All he did was put the tranny in, he said the head looked fine,but it needed new intake valves. I'm stumped here. why is it getting louder?

Aceman
08-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Did you readjust the valves yet? Your rockers may have worn into the new cam a little bit, they probably just need a little adjustment.

wilkin250r
08-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Did you readjust the valves yet? Your rockers may have worn into the new cam a little bit, they probably just need a little adjustment.

Ditto. Try adjusting the valves.

rooster300ex
08-20-2007, 09:54 AM
The cam is broken in and its had an adjustment since then. The cam has been in there for a few years. The motor has been broken all the way down 3 times. The motor was gone through when I had to replace the tranny. That was about a month ago.

Aceman
08-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Have you verified the valve clearance yourself?
Does the engine have enough oil?
Is the oil filter in backwards?

You need to make sure the topend is getting oil. Maybe try pouring a little oil on the cam/rockers and see if it quiets down. If this fixes it, I think you can assume your topend is not getting enough oil. I'd then pull the line off the side of the head, run the engine at an idle and verify oil is being pumped up to the head.