PDA

View Full Version : C&D Shock rebuilds rock

rummerd
08-19-2007, 09:32 AM
This is a brief ride review on the C&D stock shock rebuilds for the LT-R. I had my fronts converted to tripple rate with no preload and the rear a dual rate no preload setup built for an aggressive rec rider. I ride a lot of different terrain, so Colby spent a lot of time talking to me on the phone, getting the information he needed to build the shocks and answering all of my questions. I have owned and ridden on a lot of aftermarket suspensions including Axis, PEP, Elka shocks with Houser, Roll, Lonestar chassis parts, so I do have some experience other than stock.
First off, opening the box and inspecting the shocks I was impressed, very good looking setup. I installed them and called Colby to get the initial set up specs, the rear just needed to be raised up a bit. As I do not race MX, I don't need a lot of sag or lowered ride hight. I am just about an inch lower than stock, but could easily go lower for racing on a track. The front shock is now about 1/2" longer than before due to the "travel extenders" and that gave at least a full inch of additional downtravel over stock. The rear does only has 5mm (Colby's info to me) more shaft travel over stock, but due to the linkage, you get about an inch more downtravel in the rear as well.
Now to the important part, the ride. I took it to the Oregon Dunes on Friday afternoon for a couple of hours, mostly to break in the springs and fluid and get a general feel for the new shocks, not to make any adjustments. After 30 minutes of fast duning, I started putting the shocks through their paces. I will say that my initial impression is that these shocks are now as good as any I have ever ridden on. The bike flies through the whoops with no issues at all. It tracks straight, doesn't kick in the rear, floats across the tops of the big ones and you don't even notice the small whoops. This was my biggest complaint about the stockers. The dunes were pretty tracked up and the ride across the small chop was smooth, no issues. I have not done any significant jumping yet, but the smaller jumps I did were just super plush. 4 to 5 foot drops were no problem, very easy landings, not bone jaring like the stockers. Where the machine would bottom before (especially on G-outs) there is only smooth controlled suspension action.
I am going out on Tuesday to ride a lot harder and test them on jumps, but I expect them to be just excellent. If anyone is considering the purchase of new shocks, I really think you should seriously take a look at rebuilding the stockers. I am sure that a new long travel setup has some advantages, but unless you are a really competative rider, you will most likely be far better off saving some money and riding your stockers rebuilt, you will be impressed.

dixie1
08-19-2007, 09:56 AM
what was the turn-around time on getting that work done and what kind of price are we talkin about ?

rummerd
08-19-2007, 10:02 AM
800 dollars and about a week and a half. Colby will give you the rundown on what gets done to the shocks, but basically new springs, crossovers and retainers, new shock pistons, modified compression adjusters and valving to your specs tops the list.

Derno24
08-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Nice part is he includes the high flow piston no extra charge that other shock service place charge extra for.

Colby does top of the line work.

Colby@C&DRacing
08-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the input on the shocks. I am glad you are happy so far:) Let us know how they perform on the bigger stuff. As for price yes it is $800 for the full coversion front and rear with all the above mentioned parts and more:). The LTR shocks require a lot of exstensive internal mods to make them perform to this level. If anyone has questions on any of our shock conversions you can call and talk to me a 402-614-2508, or post a question in our forums and I will get you an answer.

LTandRaptorider
08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I will ship mine to you over the winter. ;)

rummerd
08-22-2007, 06:19 PM
I went out and rode a lot harder today. Still no really big jumps as it was pretty windy and I was not feeling great, so I just went and did some really fast dune running. If you go out and buy new shocks for your LT-R, you are throwing away money. I am sure that a nice long travel setup with all the bells and whistles is going to be better, but not by enough for the difference in price. These shocks just do everything right. Going through the big, choppy, deep whoops is fun now. 4th gear pinned is no big deal. I am sure that 5th flat out is going to be just as smooth, but I was not feeling ballsy enough for that today. Regular sized whoops are not an issue at all, haul *** and don't worry. I did a lot of drop offs from the razorbacks today, some flat landing, some on the downside. Even big drops onto flat landings are nice. The shocks did bottom on those, but it was very smooth, progressive, and not bone jarring like it was stock. Uneven landings are not a problem as the machine will settle into the landing without a violent pitching motion. I was launching into the steep bowls at an angle and it was just like a smooth roller coaster. Same thing coming up out of them, or up a steep dune at an angle. I just kept in the gas and the suspension handled the landing.
I had these shocks built for aggressive Recreational riding. I bet if you had them built for pure MX, they would be just as good on a track as any other shock out there. I have had a 250R with standard travel PEP tripple rates and a stocker rebuilt by PEP that was a desert racer. It handled great, but did not take the big hits or jumps very well. I have had a 310R with Houser/Elka tripple rates (long travel) up front and an Elka long travel dual rate in the back. It was actually a pretty good setup, sucked up everything from little to Gigantic, but was terrible in the deep whoops. I have had a 440EX with Roll Design Long travel, Axis tripple rates with a Elka dual rate long travel w/link set up for MX. It was a great setup, did everything extremely well. And I still have my 426EX with Roll/Elka quad rates up front and Elka dual rate with Houser +1.25 swinger and Long travel link setup for very fast desert racing. It does everything perfectly including big assed jumps. This LT-R is every bit as good as those last two setups. Before anyone turns their nose up at my Elka's...They were all revalved to get them working right.
Save yourself some money....Call Colby.