PDA

View Full Version : sprocket work

oleboy87
08-19-2007, 09:14 AM
i recently put new tires on the rear they are 20x11x10 and i thought they would be stock size just a bigger rim but i was wrong they are taller than what i was hoping for... soo i think im giong to do sprocket work to even it outt.. my question is would it be better to go 1 up in the front or 1 or 2 down in back what would be the best set up

hornetgod13
08-19-2007, 09:38 AM
One or two down in the back would be a minor change. One up in the front would be a radical change and I doubt you would like it. Changing one gear in the front is like changing 3 to 4 in the rear.

oleboy87
08-19-2007, 09:53 AM
do you think going 1 up would make a diff or should i go 2

hornetgod13
08-19-2007, 10:05 AM
In my opinion, two down in the rear.

gcart2
08-19-2007, 10:16 AM
listen if u have larger tires u want to go up in the rear for more torque. if u have smaller tires u want to go down in the rear.
the front sprocket is opposite.

JOEX
08-19-2007, 10:32 AM
How much bigger are the new tires? Have you ridden with them yet and noticed a signifigant difference?

I'm thinking going down one in the front may be too much if you like the current gearing. So going up one or two in the rear may be a better match but it will cost more unless you're planning on replacing the both sprockets and chain anyway which is recommended.

oleboy87
08-19-2007, 11:18 AM
yea thats what im going to do.. im going to go down on the rear but i have 20x11x10 holeshots and i do notice a diff with the new tires on it i would like to get the gearing down but i dont want to go too much soo im wondering will going one down on the rear be enough or should i go 2 down

JOEX
08-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by oleboy87
yea thats what im going to do.. im going to go down on the rear but i have 20x11x10 holeshots and i do notice a diff with the new tires on it i would like to get the gearing down but i dont want to go too much soo im wondering will going one down on the rear be enough or should i go 2 down
Go UP in the rear if the tires are taller and you want to get the gearing back to where it was with the stock tires.

There's a way to do the math to figure out how many teeth to use but i'm not sure how to work it out. You will need to know the actual hieght of the tire.

Ace Sixx
08-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Go UP in the rear if the tires are taller and you want to get the gearing back to where it was with the stock tires.

There's a way to do the math to figure out how many teeth to use but i'm not sure how to work it out. You will need to know the actual hieght of the tire.

(new tire diameter/old tire diameter) x old gear ratio = new gear ratio

tanner 222
08-19-2007, 06:36 PM
man i did the same as you and went one down in the front. it doesn't make a difference at all plus it's a lot cheaper. if i were you go one down in the front. it wont hurt you.

project400ex19
08-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by tanner 222
man i did the same as you and went one down in the front. it doesn't make a difference at all plus it's a lot cheaper. if i were you go one down in the front. it wont hurt you.

you didn't notice a difference? I can actually pull hills in third finally where as I would hit the hill in third then have to downshift to 2nd. it's expecially nice for pulling out of corners at the track. If i downshift in a corner i spin and loose time and if i stay in third i pull in my clutch and rev it up, dump the clutch and hook up every time, and never lose traction.

tanner 222
08-20-2007, 05:23 PM
not really with those kind of tires. i got 20's on 9 inch rims and i find a difference with them.