PDA

View Full Version : Just installed DMC Alien... My full review

Hondamaster5505
08-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Heres the low down, i had just purchased this pipe, and am doing this review for people looking for a pipe. I am not a BS artist, everything i say is what it is when t comes to this stuff. Hope you enjoy!

INSTALLATION:

I have to admit, this part was a pain in my A.S.S! Because of the fact the two head pipes are seperate all the way back, made it confusing on how to install them. Other than that, the muffler section was 3yr old type simple.
(note: be careful not to strip the bolts)

SOUND TEST:

Ok, this pipe had a nice top-end growl to it. Instead of having a low end "grunt" type of a noise, (ex: HMF) this pipe had more of a grunty top end, it sounds better the more you rev it. This pipe in my opinion sounds sick!
(note: This is NOT the pipe for you if you have pissy neighbors. It is very loud!)

THE RIDE:

In front of my house, there is a 1/4 mile straight of a road. This is where i did performance runs.
The stock bike on the street was mediocre. It was alright, but the stock bike isnt much of a screamer.
With this pipe, the power came on strong. The bike was a lot free'er reving. The pipe increased mid-top power, and bottom didnt change. As soon as you take off, you can feel the extra beef in the mid to top range. It felt alot quicker, and you see yourself shifting quicker because the pipe pulls the top so much better than the stock bike, and it revs up free'er and quicker. If you want your 400 to be a trail bike, yet still have a decent top end punch, then i recomend this pipe.

OVERALL: (out of 5)
Looks: **
Sound: ****
Power: *****
Ease of installation: *
Overall: ****
Recomendation:
yes, if loudness isnt an issue.

Thanks for reading, i hope i helped you guys on the subject.

EX LONERIDER
08-18-2007, 10:02 PM
nice write up.

i agree... ive done an install and test ride on one of these and its is a good mid-top end pipe. definately on the loud end, but unique sound.

Hondamaster5505
08-18-2007, 10:54 PM
yeah, I was getting weary of it at first the way alot of people call it low end and not that great, but i really like the pipe. I mainly ride at coal mines, so i need that mid-top pull, and it doesnt matter if its loud. (being we're in the middle of nowhere)
lmao.

EX LONERIDER
08-18-2007, 11:13 PM
true true. but hey, so long as you are happy with what you got thats all that matters.

dariusld
08-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I had a problem with mine, it kept cracking on the midpipe mount. I didn't hear anyone else with this problem, so maybe you won't either. DMC was very nice though.

EX LONERIDER
08-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
I had a problem with mine, it kept cracking on the midpipe mount. I didn't hear anyone else with this problem, so maybe you won't either. DMC was very nice though.

just curious, but where on the pipe exactly did it crack? front near the header flange? twards the middle? twards the rear near the muffler?

dariusld
08-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
just curious, but where on the pipe exactly did it crack? front near the header flange? twards the middle? twards the rear near the muffler?

The midpipe. You have the two headpipes, they bolt on to the midpipe and that bolts onto the muffler. In his description, he says the two headpipes "seperate all the way back", not quite true. On our quads, there are two rear mounting points. The very back one, and the lower one. There is a mounting bracket on the pipe for the lower one and that kept cracking(more than twice).

Hondamaster5505
08-19-2007, 03:25 PM
i dont even use the bottom one, since i lost the bolt. lol. I only use the top mount

REDRIDDER
08-19-2007, 07:23 PM
CAN YOU SPEAK UP I CANT HEAR YOU OVER THE DMC PIPE LOL.. THEY ARE LOUD.my brother had one on a crf150r and it was loud as hell on that cant imagine it on an ex lol.....

Hondamaster5505
08-19-2007, 10:53 PM
lol, i hear ya bro. My neighbors hate my GUTS, yet again, they always hated us, so i piss em off anyway.

EX LONERIDER
08-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
CAN YOU SPEAK UP I CANT HEAR YOU OVER THE DMC PIPE LOL.. THEY ARE LOUD.

:D :D :p :p LMAO! exactly what i was thinking... but i guess its a matter of opinion.... or ear plugs.

Hondamaster5505
08-21-2007, 10:12 AM
bump