PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys do it?

yellow400ex05
08-18-2007, 12:57 PM
I want a set of TCS shocks race series with the remote reservoir, but they are so expensive, I wish i could get a deal like the same shocks for like 500-600 dollars, or are there any sites that have discounts or deals?

TRX 400EX, RACE/SPORT SERIES W/ REMOTE RESERVOIR*

$875.00

:ermm:

08-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Works shocks are cheap like that. People say the stock 400ex shock revalved and resprung is better than aftermarket but I say no way. You can read everything on the debate in the Aftermarket Shocks thread

honda300EXtreme
08-18-2007, 06:40 PM
to find them that cheap, your best bet would be to look for a used set..

procircuit406ex
08-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
People say the stock 400ex shock revalved and resprung is better than aftermarket but I say no way.

If it's done right, it will.

allstock
08-21-2007, 08:26 AM
450r stock stocks are only $200-250

svahle
08-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Wait, I didn't think the front stock 400ex shocks could be revalved and resprung. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

Many people rave about the 450r shock on the 400ex when it is revalved and resprung. I would think this would be a better set up than the Works (Works have never impressed me, with the exception of the Black Widow which I hear is pretty good but more expensive). I would also think that the TCS would be better than a resprung/revalved 450r shock.

400exrider707
08-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by svahle
Wait, I didn't think the front stock 400ex shocks could be revalved and resprung. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

Many people rave about the 450r shock on the 400ex when it is revalved and resprung. I would think this would be a better set up than the Works (Works have never impressed me, with the exception of the Black Widow which I hear is pretty good but more expensive). I would also think that the TCS would be better than a resprung/revalved 450r shock.

The black widows impress me about as much as the AT steelers...

Im not a fan of non-zps shocks though...

400ex stock fronts can not be rebuilt at all... they are simply garbage...

stock 450Rs built to work on a 400ex by someone such as C&D will perform great.:cool:

svahle
08-28-2007, 06:34 AM
I am not promoting the Black Widow shocks necessarily, but I believe that Works now offers a ZPS version. Just FYI. ;)

They are the Pro Series Black Widow
3 & 4-Way Adjustable -w- TRS Stadium

400exrider707
08-29-2007, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by svahle
I am not promoting the Black Widow shocks necessarily, but I believe that Works now offers a ZPS version. Just FYI. ;)

They are the Pro Series Black Widow
3 & 4-Way Adjustable -w- TRS Stadium

I understand, I was just stating my opinion on them as I have actually rode on them. They're nice for sure, but not for me.

I would like to try a set of the "top of the line" works pro series shocks.

svahle
08-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I understand, I was just stating my opinion on them as I have actually rode on them. They're nice for sure, but not for me.

I would like to try a set of the "top of the line" works pro series shocks.

Gotcha! A friend of mine has the Black Widow w/preload adjustment. They seem pretty good but are not set up for my weight so it is a little tough to tell how well I would like them. In my humble opinion, there are many other very nice shocks out there for the same money.

yellow400ex05 - sorry we kind of took your thread on a tangent. In your price range I would think resprung and revalved 450r shocks would be your best bet. Another option would be to look out for a used set of aftermarket shocks that are already set up for your weight, a-arms, and riding style. Unless they are already set up how you want, you will have to invest in having them revalved and possibly resprung and might wind up having as much in them as a new set. I have experience with Ohlins, Axis, PEP, Elka and TCS. All are very nice and I would recommend any one of them. Just remember, even the most expensive shocks will not perform well if they are set up properly. I think you are on the right track in wanting to improve your suspension. If I had to choose between motor mods and suspension mods, I would do the suspension mods first. I am faster on a stock 400ex with suspension than a 400ex with motor mods and stock suspension in all types of riding except straight drags.

Good luck!