PDA

View Full Version : simple battery relocation

kyexgirl
08-18-2007, 12:12 AM
my husband is quite talented at figuring things out. a couple days ago we were talking about the side mounted battery on my 03 400ex. we have seen them get busted by rocks and sticks thrown by the back tire. so he moved it.

1st: he took off the airbox lid. measured the width and length of the backside.

2nd: he cut a piece of 1/16 in. thick steel to fit inside the box on the backside and slid it into place.

3rd: took the battery out and unbolted the battery box. drilled 4 holes through the airbox, the steel and battery box and mounted the battery box on the outside of the airbox at the rear. using 3/8 countersink type bolts, flat washers on the outside to keep the bolt head from getting into the plastic, and lockwashers on the inside to keep things tight.

4th: lengthened the wires and such so the solenoid and everything would reach. bolted the ground to the frame next to the taillight.

i think i got it all. lol. anyway, i have ridden several times on the trails without any mishaps so far. if you decide to try it, do so at your own risk. lol. i dont wanna be responsible for something gone wrong. just wanted to share that with you all just in case you wanted to try it. you may have problems, or you may save a battery. who knows?

kyexgirl
08-18-2007, 06:46 PM
how can i move this into the how-to section? someone else might want to try it.

Hondamaster5505
08-18-2007, 07:00 PM
im not sure, i think a moderator has to do it, or if not, just copy what you wrote and start a new one in the how-to section also.

JOEX
08-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Adding some decent quality pics will be helpful:)

If you can provide them I can either move this or copy it to the How-To section;)

kyexgirl
08-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Adding some decent quality pics will be helpful:)

If you can provide them I can either move this or copy it to the How-To section;)
i will try to get some pics on here tomorrow.

dariusld
08-18-2007, 08:00 PM
This mod makes it difficult to clean your air filter all the time, unless I'm not picturing it right. Many of our other members have done this long before this, why sticky now?

EDIT I reread the thread. Is the battery inside or outside the box. Either way I don't like it. Just my .02 cents.

kyexgirl
08-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
This mod makes it difficult to clean your air filter all the time, unless I'm not picturing it right. Many of our other members have done this long before this, why sticky now?

EDIT I reread the thread. Is the battery inside or outside the box. Either way I don't like it. Just my .02 cents.
its on the outside. and to each his own. you dont have to do it, just an option. but all in all, i feel better with it back there. i dont have to worry about a stick or rock getting thrown by the tire into my battery.

EX LONERIDER
08-18-2007, 11:15 PM
sounds interesting. i would also like to see a couple of pics of this modification.

j450rking
08-19-2007, 07:45 AM
yeah it sounds good i would think it would hold fine and i bet it is alot easyer then the battery inside the stock air box witch is a pain in the butt

i would like to see how you get to the top of the battery so def get some pics

Ace Sixx
08-20-2007, 12:53 AM
I wonder how the added weight of the steel plate and the battery plus the stress of it bouncing up and down will affect the plastic mounting tab at the rear of the air box? I'd think that it would be prone to failure at some point. Keep us posted as to how it works out.

j450rking
08-20-2007, 08:48 AM
yeah you might want to put a plate on the tab to help it hold the exstra 4 lb or more

kyexgirl
08-20-2007, 04:37 PM
sorry for the delay folks, but my camera is not working. i will get some pics of the battery on here as soon as i can