PDA

View Full Version : building a 250r

fmfracing5
08-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi everyone i was just wondering if anyones got some estimates on a full from the frame up build? and also do you guys suggest just buying a decent 250r for 2grand or soo is cheaper to build or is building from the ground up cheaper just need some opinions.

TheFontMaster
08-17-2007, 11:32 PM
It's cheaper, and easier to start with a quad, and do an overhaul on it. I built one from the frame up, piece by piece, and it cost more than I thought it would. When doing a frame up build you need to locate all the little parts that will just nickle and dime you to death.

havinnoj
08-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Pro's and Con's to each.

After starting with 2 pretty stock qauds and turning them into what I have now, I'll share this with you.

You may feel like it's great to start with a quad and do an overhaul on it... since most parts on cheap R's are trashed anyways, why not just buy all these parts new from an oem parts finder? Ask yourself what you want to do...how much stock do you want? If you want a full aftermarket chassis, nice motor, and accessories, I'd just buy the parts you want and need as you go. Then you won't have a garage filled with all the parts you've taken off.

The nuts and bolts...use a microfiche and record the sizes of the bolts - then buy those in bulk somewhere besides Honda (3x more than store cost).

For the bike I paid 4550 for - I have an additional 15k into it...and it stll needs a couple grand more to be perfect. This now rides a full aftermarket chassis, everything chromed or polished, painted plastic...etc.
http://www.planetsand.com/memberphotos/58027-n19711450_32474728_5086.jpg

For the bike I paid 3900 for - I have an additional 10k into it.
http://www.planetsand.com/memberphotos/58030-n19711450_32474723_3564.jpg

beobe99
08-18-2007, 03:21 AM
Ive built 2 from the ground up (well almost done my second).. And I love doing it! Nothing as nuts as havinnoj's (good work man) but im stock frame and everything else aftermarket or restored. (I'll attach pics of them below).. first one i had 4400 into, and this second one will prob reach 5k tops.

If your restoring one to stock/oem I would look for a whole quad. Break it down and restore/replace parts as needed.

If your building a full aftermarket bike or mostly aftermarket bike I would go part by part.

Take your time either way. Buy the parts you REALLY want even if you have to save. With online forums like this and ebay there is sooo many oem and aftermarket parts for sale its very easy to build one no matter what direction you take.

Theres alot of cool guys on here also so feel free to ask Qs. as you move along with this.

good luck

pic of my first build (not the best pic sorry)

beobe99
08-18-2007, 03:22 AM
and my second build so far

redrooster310r
08-18-2007, 05:48 AM
do an overhaul. either way its big money kid .... bought mine for 3200.... 8 yrs ago..... smacked down with a beat 295 bore job... well more than 8 yrs and an awesome ride.....20,000 $ later i have the best 2 stroke quad honda ever made..... get a third job and a good credit card.... it worth it...... ill never sell my R!!!

redrooster310r
08-18-2007, 05:53 AM
here she is . http://i16.tinypic.com/66l16ae.jpg

mineralgrey01gt
08-18-2007, 10:20 AM
im doing a frame up build as we speak. Mods are in my sig. I went with a bunch of stock stuff because I found it at awesome deals. Like my full suspension including front/rear shocks, a-arms, tie-rods, tie-rod ends (bought new), spindles and hubs, came up to around $275. Thats a full front end minus the calipers which I got those for $55 shipped. So a full front end on a quad cost me around $330, give or take a little. I went with all stock so it would allow me to upgrade later down the road. With what I have so far in mine (full rolling chassis minus fenders, motor, and exhaust) I have about $3000 into mine and another good $2000 to get it going right.

criminalpoet
08-18-2007, 01:58 PM
You know ive built quite a few bikes from the ground up in my time. And all I can say is that its a lot cheaper to find someone whos already done most of the hard and expensive work for you and is now selling it for cheap lol. I picked up this badboy a few months ago for $5500 from 1 Dir Racing who was selling it for a client that put 15-17 grand into it. This bike was off a fresh off the frame restoration with only 4 hours on it. Every nut, bolt, bearing, seal, bushing, everything is brand new or better (aftermarket). And it has a fully built top and bottom 270cc class race motor to boot. The only thing that ive added so far is the rims and tires. However it came with a full set of brand spankin new paddle tires on ITP T-9s all around. I also have some polished OMF radiator shrounds and a billet grille on the way.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pa5b200458676f3efe13e8fcb5c55857c/e896b4d8.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pc79454e4f5abda3e7a17e84c7382f22a/e896b7d9.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p344c45ccbc86d8ce79692ce6625b74b3/e910960e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p0933ae7596334a6ca8cf496b495c342d/e91093f8.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pc721976c98a8bd36789c749952b52dee/e91082d5.jpg

I know right now that 1 Dir Racing has a couple more pretty nice 250rs for sale for under 5k. There not quite as built up as mine, but they do have full race motors on them. And for under 5k thats a pretty good deal.

Aceman
08-18-2007, 08:35 PM
That's a nice lookin R Criminal! If that engine is polished and not chromed that looks like A LOT of upkeep to keep it that way. That upper radiator hose looks like it's half kinked, is it flattened out a little bit?? I'm not a big fan of that kind of hose either, I don't think it has the temp rating required for hot coolant but I could be wrong.

blasterfreak99
08-18-2007, 08:46 PM
vera nice r criminal! what kind of a arms are those

criminalpoet
08-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
That's a nice lookin R Criminal! If that engine is polished and not chromed that looks like A LOT of upkeep to keep it that way. That upper radiator hose looks like it's half kinked, is it flattened out a little bit?? I'm not a big fan of that kind of hose either, I don't think it has the temp rating required for hot coolant but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the compliments! You are absolutely right about that clear hose. In fact, as soon as I got the bike home that is the first thing that I changed. Even though it lasted 4 hours in the dunes for the previous owner, I go on 175 mile desert races lol. And that stuff would be melted in the first 30 mins from the way I ride.
In the first pic I posted you will notice the black heater hose that is now on it.
And yes, the engine is polished, it was done in the chrome shop at 1 Dir Racing and actually requires no real up keep. I dont know exactly what they did when they polished it, but I havent had to do any upkeeping thus far and it still sparkles. Either way though, I dont mind cleaning my bikes thouroughly. After every ride I take the bike home, spray it off real quick, pull the plastics off, and take the gas tank off. And give it a really good bath. Dry it with compressed air, do a compression check, and then throw it back together.

criminalpoet
08-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by blasterfreak99
vera nice r criminal! what kind of a arms are those

They are Herman Racing a-arms.

250Renvy
08-19-2007, 12:17 PM
IMO there are only two things you have to consider when deciding this:

1. Is money an issue?
2. Is time an issue?

Almost everything in life comes down to time or money.

If money is no issue, build it from the frame up - you'll get exactly what you want and most stuff will be easiest to get new.

If time is an issue and you want to ride right away and not spend a year or more trying to find parts go with a built bike and replace as necessary or when you find stuff you like.

IF you don't have a lot of time or money, go with a 2K 250R and ride the way it is.

mineralgrey01gt
08-19-2007, 01:02 PM
^^^ very good point. Neither was a real issue with me. Time surely wasnt as I knew what I was getting myself into. Its been 6 months into my build and I JUST got my motor yesterday and had a rolling chassis now for about 2 weeks.

daman02
08-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I started from scratch with a bare frame and have $10k in mine.

timmersam
08-19-2007, 07:26 PM
My frame up build that cost me just shy of 5500 to complete. I actually bought the frame and motor that I stated with from 250Renvy.

stever250r
08-28-2007, 12:50 PM
I also started with nothing but a frame and I would not consider doing it any other way.

I think the person who spoke of time and money was dead on.

You have to be patient enough to save the money to get the parts that you want. Dont settle for something less than you want because of either time or money. If you do, you will end up with something you really arent happy with.

If time and money are an issue then find something that is running and rideable and update it as you can.

Here is a picture of my frame up build... I am 4 years and about 8k into it. I still need suspension, plastics, graphics, skids and a few other misc. parts to finish it like I want too. Looks like it may be another year before that happens, but when it does, it will be nothing short of exactly what I wanted.

Good luck with whichever you decide to do.