PDA

View Full Version : Engine Trouble HELP!

casey_lamm
08-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Well I adjusted my idle down a little...and its fine now, it was a little high.

A few of my questions/concerns...

1) I haven't rode the bike for a 3 weeks. When I started it I got a cloud of what looked like black dust... after that poof... nothing...no smoke, nothing...just like normal... is that 1st poof normal for a bike that has been sitting?

2) During warm up is it normal to hear a ticking sound from the engine? Im not sure what it is but it seemed to go away after it warmed up...any ideas what that might be? scary cause it almost sounds metal...

Im getting kindof frustrated because I dont think I push the bike much...and am worried that I might have done something too it.

As far as it riding...still seems to run great.... That sound just scares me.

Thanks for the help

400exwheelieboy
08-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by casey_lamm
Well I adjusted my idle down a little...and its fine now, it was a little high.

A few of my questions/concerns...

1) I haven't rode the bike for a 3 weeks. When I started it I got a cloud of what looked like black dust... after that poof... nothing...no smoke, nothing...just like normal... is that 1st poof normal for a bike that has been sitting?

2) During warm up is it normal to hear a ticking sound from the engine? Im not sure what it is but it seemed to go away after it warmed up...any ideas what that might be? scary cause it almost sounds metal...

Im getting kindof frustrated because I dont think I push the bike much...and am worried that I might have done something too it.

As far as it riding...still seems to run great.... That sound just scares me.

Thanks for the help

mine did that after sitting 2 days its normal dont worry bout it ..

400exrapes
08-17-2007, 08:12 PM
yeah its normal dude ride it hardd

EX LONERIDER
08-17-2007, 08:51 PM
black smoke is probably from the burnt up packing sitting inside... no worries there.

the ticking sound is your valves. its normal... when you pay close attention especially after letting it sit you are likely to get too overy concious of noises... stuff will get quiet after warm up cus stuff gets lubed. it'll also expand metals also getting oil to those places that are dry from sitting.

check your oil, do your normal routine check up before goin on a ride. if all is good, hit the trail and ride!

casey_lamm
08-17-2007, 09:13 PM
I will sleep better tonight. Im a hypocondriac when it comes to this bike :)

I do appreciate the help...and i will post some riding videos tomorrow.

Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
black smoke is probably from the burnt up packing sitting inside... no worries there.

the ticking sound is your valves. its normal... when you pay close attention especially after letting it sit you are likely to get too overy concious of noises... stuff will get quiet after warm up cus stuff gets lubed. it'll also expand metals also getting oil to those places that are dry from sitting.

check your oil, do your normal routine check up before goin on a ride. if all is good, hit the trail and ride!

casey_lamm
08-18-2007, 07:36 AM
actually now that I have had it out...im getting a little smoke...not much at all every time I blurp the gas...

seems white/grey in color, but there isn't that much to tell the color...

so I guess I just ride it and see if it gets worse.

Originally posted by casey_lamm
I will sleep better tonight. Im a hypocondriac when it comes to this bike :)

I do appreciate the help...and i will post some riding videos tomorrow.

TRFOXX
08-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Yeah dont worry about the ticking mine dose that also from sitting, after it warms up it goes away. Make sure that your valves are adjusted though. Mine is but still ticks at start up.

casey_lamm
08-18-2007, 04:27 PM
its an 07 so i haven't messed with anything like that...

seemed ok after warm up today...

On the up side I just stuck in some awesome mud pits for the 1st time :)

But I made it through a few that a 4x4 didn't get through...

Fun day :)
Originally posted by TRFOXX
Yeah dont worry about the ticking mine dose that also from sitting, after it warms up it goes away. Make sure that your valves are adjusted though. Mine is but still ticks at start up.

CarGuy7a
08-18-2007, 09:55 PM
you think it ticks now. put a hotcam in it, it will give you a new definition of ticking. but they do that normally.

if it ticks let it rip.