PDA

View Full Version : Cases

fireburns99
08-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey guys,
I was curious if anyone had any old cases laying around, they can be cracked, but they have to maintain their oringinal shape. I'm asking because i need a left and a right, in order to decide on the feasibility of manufacturing replacements. If you guys can help me out i'd appreciate it. Thanks,
Nick

C-LEIGH RACING
08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by fireburns99
Hey guys,
I was curious if anyone had any old cases laying around, they can be cracked, but they have to maintain their oringinal shape. I'm asking because i need a left and a right, in order to decide on the feasibility of manufacturing replacements. If you guys can help me out i'd appreciate it. Thanks,
Nick

:D :D :D :D :D :D and how many left hand halfs you wanting LOL.

Once you get some halfs to hold in your hands we can go on the phone & talk about where the cases need to be beefed up at, in other words the places where they are prone to bust.
Neil

fireburns99
08-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
:D :D :D :D :D :D and how many left hand halfs you wanting LOL.

Once you get some halfs to hold in your hands we can go on the phone & talk about where the cases need to be beefed up at, in other words the places where they are prone to bust.
Neil

Well once i get some case halves in my hands i can get the photgrammetry done, which means i will have a 3-d soldworks model, and it would be cake from there. BTW did i mention i'm a 4th year mechanical engineering student. :)

Also after the photogrammetry is done i can start to get costs estimates from aluminum casters. And then i can determine the ultimate feasibility.

Aceman
08-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by fireburns99
Also after the photogrammetry is done i can start to get costs estimates from aluminum casters.

Cast aluminum?? How about billet?:devil:

Found a link to Banshee cases:
http://www.mattoonmachine.com/cgi-bin/Mattoon.cgi/15-100.html

Not exactly what a guy would call cheap though!

fireburns99
08-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Cast aluminum?? How about billet?:devil:

Found a link to Banshee cases:
http://www.mattoonmachine.com/cgi-bin/Mattoon.cgi/15-100.html

Not exactly what a guy would call cheap though!

Well the nice thing about the billet cases, is that they would actually be easier to make than the cast cases. Since they are CNC machine i could send out the dxf file from solidworks, or AutoCad, and they could cut the cases. So if there was a enough demand from the boys running the Saber kits with the deep pockets then it'd be easy to run those as well. I'm just trying to produce stock reproduction cases, that are stronger in the common areas they break. The hard part is the initial getting going part.

250Renvy
08-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I always wanted to find an engineering student to test the feasibility of creating counterbalanced CR250 cases, that way parts will be plentiful and they have powervalves. Or counterbalanced CR500 cases would be cool too.

Mostly because there isn't a real need right now for OEM replica cases because they are still produced - but good idea because who knows for how long.

For mass production - casting is a better way to go - less waste and time.

fireburns99
08-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
I always wanted to find an engineering student to test the feasibility of creating counterbalanced CR250 cases, that way parts will be plentiful and they have powervalves. Or counterbalanced CR500 cases would be cool too.

Mostly because there isn't a real need right now for OEM replica cases because they are still produced - but good idea because who knows for how long.

For mass production - casting is a better way to go - less waste and time.

I was actually thinking about the CR250 thing on my way home. It would be easy to modify the case and studs to accept the Cr250 jug. I just think it will be nice to find a way to keep the R parts alive. And the casting is definitely the way to go. Once the tooling is made you're golden.

Once i start gathering some pieces to model, then i can work on modifying them for various purposes.

brokenbones
08-18-2007, 06:11 PM
what will the guy get in return for giving up a set of cases

i have a few but they are wall fixtures right now

fireburns99
08-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by brokenbones
what will the guy get in return for giving up a set of cases

i have a few but they are wall fixtures right now
After the photogrammetry is done, the cases would be returned to the orignal owner. Or if they would like to sell them i will buy them.

It's also the idea of knowing that you are helping to hopefully keep a supply of R parts around when the Honda ones run out.

250Renvy
08-19-2007, 12:18 PM
fireburns - where are you located?

fireburns99
08-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm located in southern california, about an hour east of Los Angeles.