PDA

View Full Version : jumped timing?

not2hi
08-17-2007, 09:44 AM
I currently own the worlds most expensive non-running 300ex...

anywho, I did a complete rebuild this past winter, including a 11:1 Wiseco 40 over...it ran great all winter and spring till the first warm day, then it ran crappy for a bit, then wouldn't start at all. I figured with the recent temp change, it was jetting. So I rejetted. Then it still wouldn't start...at one point the starter got stuck on and the clutch got let out a bit and then it got jammed, stalling the bike in gear (bad!). I replaced the starter solenoid and starting switch. Still no start. Checked compression, it was way low. Tore the top end off, timing was way off (Chain, gears and guides all look fine). Did a leak down test on the valves, and they are fine. My only concern was the head gasket actually delaminated into two pieces...one stuck on the block, and the other side stuck to the head.

So I guess my questions are:

1. when the starter got stuck on, could that have messed up the timing?

2. what else could have messed up the timing?

3. could the no start be caused by a failing head gasket? (no oil leaks were evident)

My next move is to get an OEM head gasket and put it back together, but I just want to make sure there's not something I'm overlooking on the inside before I button it up.

xxnightraven73x
08-19-2007, 07:27 AM
is the timing chain tensioner still good and strong? if not that will cause it to jump timing as for the accedent of starting in gear that should have nothing to do with the timing.have you checked for spark and fuel while it was together? the no start situation could be caused by the failed head gasket and the timing being off lack of compression and it wont start.id check the tensioner for the timing chain i bet you find thats what caused it to jump timing and the head gasket didnt help any either good luck let me know how it goes