PDA

View Full Version : Finally back in the game...have some questions.

2001400ex
08-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Well, I used to come here religiously before I got myself into cars when I finally turned 17, now a few years later I am back and ready to start riding again since I am done with cars, and modding them.

I have a few questions that could easily be answered by people that are still here in the sport. I have been out of the loop for about 4 years now so I pretty much know nothing, but I'm going to change that because I am rebuilding my 400EX from the ground up.:devil:

Since I'm rebuilding I need to replace some damaged/broken parts. Obviously I'm going to want to replace some with aftermarket, so, if you guys could, please just let me know what the most popular/solid/"best" choice would be...like I said I've been out of the loop for a few years and I know these questions can be answered easily, however researching will take forever...and I want to ride ASAP!

1) I need a new rear brake rotor...mine is bent. What are most of you guys running...?

2) Rear brake pads! Need those too...what are you guys running?

3) Rear brake main cylinder...the piston in mine is shot...am I better off with OEM or is there an aftermarket one?

4) Oil tank/reservoir tank. The threads for the drain bolt are stripped on mine...not even going to deal with it and just replace it with a new one. Last time I was around there was an oversized one...is it still around? How expensive is it?

5) My carb. has stripped screws in the bottom so I can't re-jet anymore...is there a moderately priced GOOD aftermarket carb. I can get? Or am I better off just saving my money and going OEM?

6) Steering stem/stabilizier. I definitely want to go aftermarket with this and reduce a lot of bump-steer.

Thanks for all your help guys, and pictures will be posted as soon as I am done. Just finished up a huge amount tonight on my first night.

08-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Go with the EBC sintered pads for the rear, they work great.

2001400ex
08-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Cool! I will look them up right now!

08-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Rocky mountain has the cheapest price I have seen so far on them. But if you want to replace the rear brake piston or anything order frm motosport because they sell every OEM part. You can get the rotor and brake pads at either rockymountain or motosport but only motosport has OEM parts. So it might just be better to order all from motosport to get free shipping if the order is over $100. Look at both sites to decide because some have better prices on certain items. IE Rockymountain$21 EBC Motosport$27 To your carb solution I hear a 450r carb is a good upgrade when properly jetted otherwise you cant go wrong with edlebrock. And Motosport OEM oil tank or anything.

EBC brakes
OEM brake piston/etc
Rear Brake rotor aftermarket or OEM
Oil tank I say OEM
Carb OEM/Edlebrock/450r

All of these can be found on motosport. I order from bgoth sites to get the best prices on items.

2001400ex
08-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Cool I will look into that too. I remember Rocky Mountain having kickass prices back when I was on here and was just going to do the order through them. I'm probably going to end up ordering from both sides for various parts.

08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I edited my post for everything

2001400ex
08-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Cool thanks a lot! I'd imagine picking up a USED 450R carb. is cheaper than ordering from a vendor, correct? What am I gaining from going with a 450R carb?

I also am going to edit mine right now because I will also need a steering stem/stabilizer. I bent mine I think.

fastredrider44
08-16-2007, 10:06 PM
From the sounds of it, ur about to pour a bunch of money into your old bike. Unless you plan on racing, you can scratch out some of the aftermarket parts and work with what you have. Small vise grips will grab the carb screws. once you get them out, go to fastenal or somewhere like that and get new ones. From what I can tell, the 450 carb provides lots of headaches until you get everything ironed out and then you only pick up a little bit better throttle response and hp. Stock brake rotors are fine, check e-bay, but examine closely so you dont get a pos. Oversize oil tank isn't exactly necessary, so find a used stock one to save you money. PEP and Denton make decent steering stabilizers for the buck. I run EBC pads, but because my rotor is slightly bent and chews them up. SBC seems to be better, but they are more expensive. As far as the rear master cylinder, mine went out. I had two options... Rebuild kit... $45. New OEM, $60. I got the new one. Best of luck.

2001400ex
08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Well since my stock carb. has fubared screws on the bottom plate I figured if it's out I might as well see if I can spend a few bucks to upgrade. After all the money I have dumped into my cars money for quads is nothing, so it's actually a treat to see parts under the $600 range with the exception of a few things like suspensions, different engine setups etc.

I COULD try vise-grips but I am too lazy and far too short tempered to try a tool/die kit to get the screws out. I'd rather spend the extra money and get another 400/450 carb.

I think I'm going to take your advice on the oil tank and probably just go with another OEM unit...

If there is no real advantage with running another rear rotor OEM would be fine for me too, just figured while it's out and if there's something better I'm all for it.

I will check out PEP and Denton for steering stabilizers, never heard of them, sounds great.

Where did you get your rear master from for $60?

Thanks!

Kaleigh
08-16-2007, 11:00 PM
on your carb.. you can use an 18mm socket/wrench to get to your jet.. you should notice what im talking about next time you look at your carb..

08-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Steering stabilizer if you want the best of the best but be willing to pay get precision. They are amazing and they last forever, no rebuilds or anything

fastredrider44
08-17-2007, 09:01 AM
I got my master cylinder from a place in hopkinsville kentucky called ATV specialties. He does a lot of ordering from honda. You might try www.servicehonda.com as well. Yes, you can get to your jet from the drain bolt on the bottom of the bowl in the carb, but that takes a little bit of patience as well. I don't mind freely letting go of money ( I got used to it on my first ex) but I still will spend an extra few minutes to save quite a bit of money. I'm pretty sure you can do it, and I also know how you feel about spending money on cars, as I did the same on trucks.

CarGuy7a
08-17-2007, 10:29 AM
yeah as far as the carb if your just looking to say screw it and get a new one a stock OEM carb is like $300. you could find a 450r carb like said before or you could pick up an Edelbrock for around $450 or an FCR for around $500.

Hondamaster5505
08-17-2007, 10:41 AM
you should invest in a pipe if you want performance. Im running a DMC Alien system. Its a top end pipe and sounds sick!! After that, get a hot cams stage 2 (124 bucks on ebay), sparks timing key, air filter, 450r carb and jetting, and it should come to life. I only have the pipe right now, but i heard from alot of ppl, those mods ^ are great, over the winter im investing in them

2001400ex
08-17-2007, 11:42 AM
fastredrider: I will check that website out, thanks!

CarGuy: I will not spend that kind of money on an OEM carb, I'd just pick up a used 400 carb., and I have to research prices on the used 450 carbs. :)

HondaMaster: I already have an HMF slip-on. I bought it way back when HMF first came out, it is for sale right now since I am going with their full system now and a candy red HMF pipe along with a bunch of other goodies.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

One last thing I forgot...my clutch cable or lever is trashed, I am just going to get a new one, are hydraulic clutches softer on quads like they are on cars? What's a nice one for the money to get?

Thanks again!!

fastredrider44
08-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Hydraulic clutches aren't very common. The last I heard, you could get a magura hydraulic clutch for aroun $200. I could be totally wrong opn that one, so don't hold me to it. The best thing to do would be get a dirtbike perch, so you can avoid the mess of the parking brake and neutral switch. Clutch cables are great if you take care of them. I oil mine on a regular basis and it's as easy to pull in now as the day it came off the showroom floor. It will last a lot longer too if you oil it on a regular basis. The main thing is to avoid sharp curves in the cable, and keep it oiled. It'll last a long time that way. Good Luck!

Ruby Soho
08-17-2007, 03:24 PM
get a 450r carb off of ebay or something.. decent improvement and not very expensive at all.

Kaleigh
08-17-2007, 03:39 PM
hyrdo clutches are great.. best investment I ever made.. I got a Magura one.. for about $200.. look around you might be able to find it for 189.. not much difference but hey.. you're still saving money.. its feels so much smoother and so easy to pull.. its like butter..

2001400ex
08-17-2007, 04:29 PM
OK so far I have bought:

OEM oil tank
450R carb.
OEM rear brake rotor
EBC Sintered rear pads

I am going to need a new chain...should I be picking up a CHAIN/SPROCKET set? Apparently some people are saying from what I've read that the chain will wear out faster with old sprockets...and also, can anyone confirm what size the chain is? Some posts say 92 links, some say 94, some say 104...

Also, where can I find a place that has nice handlebars? RockyMountainATV is giving me nothing...

And any idea where I can get a quality set of BLACK nerf bars?

I am going to pull the trigger on the hydro clutch now -- thanks for the post!

Ruby Soho
08-17-2007, 04:37 PM
handlebars (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Control&webTypeId=70&webCatId=12)

theres the rockymountain bar selection.

the black ac propegs are nice, but i hear they are a terrible fit..

2001400ex
08-19-2007, 03:13 PM
OK I am looking to get TAG T2 bars (like I have always wanted) and at RockyMountain it is asking me what bend I want...the thing is that they are all dirtbike bends and I don't have an ATV bend/400EX bend choice...the choices are:

CR double high bend
CR high bend
CR low bend
KTM bend
KX bend
RM high bend
YZ bend

I know there are 400EX guys/quad guys running T2s...any help would be appreciated as to what I should select from RockyMountains list or from another vendor that sells T2s.

Thanks again!

fastredrider44
08-20-2007, 01:41 PM
CR High Bend:D

If you want cheap nerfs, get tusk nerfs from rocky mountain. My buddy got a set for like $109 for his z-400. He uses then with IMS pegs, not a bad set-up.

I don't know how long the chain is, I always cut out the extra links when I get a new one.

Definately get sprockets the same time you get a chain.

2001400ex
08-20-2007, 02:10 PM
OK I was wondering if I should have picked the CR high bend.

I don't really care about price in nerfs. I am just looking for something to fit the theme of the quad. Black will look great. I think I'm giong to try the one set of Black ones off RockyMountain.

2001400ex
08-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Another question! (You guys have been a huge help so far!)

I am going to buy a new sprocket/chain kit tonight and I am looking here on Rocky Mountain

They have Alloy kits and Steel kits...what's the difference? Lighter weight? What?

The alloy kits are more expensive and the Steel is less expensive...

Thanks!

04blasterkid
08-30-2007, 07:17 PM
steel will last longer but alloy is a little lighter... for the price dif/durability your better off going steel, you wont notice much or any dif going with alloy

REDRIDDER
08-30-2007, 07:29 PM
yes the alloy are lighter by far but if your not using your quad for mx and trying to save all the weight you can i would go with the steel one it will out last the alloy one by about...... IMO 3 times if not more.

REDRIDDER
08-30-2007, 07:30 PM
04blaster kid you beat me to the punch..........

2001400ex
08-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!