PDA

View Full Version : Water in the bottom end

gojk
08-16-2007, 08:40 PM
I have had this R for about a year now and it always seems to have a bit of water in the tranny oil when I change it. It isn't a ton of water, but it is enough for me to notice. Where can the water get into the bottom end and should I be too concerned about the water?

mfr422
08-16-2007, 09:05 PM
gojk,
It sounds like your inner water pump seal is leaking, how milky is the oil when you change it? I would remove your side cover and check to see if it's leaking.

GOTFEAR
08-16-2007, 09:06 PM
engine case vent under your carb? or your water pump seal bad.

gojk
08-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by GOTFEAR
engine case vent under your carb? or your water pump seal bad.

I am not sure what you meant by this. Can you elaborate please?

What needs to be done to replace the inner water pump seal? Can it be done by just taking the side cover off?

redrooster310r
08-17-2007, 05:55 AM
yes....the mechanical water seal is located behind the water pump. cost about 50 $.... must replace mec seal oil seal bearing,,, all behind h2o pump in clutch side cover... after you remove old.... stuff.. put case in oven @ 170 degrees, put bearing in freezer... both for about 15 min... seal will almost drop in ... a 1 in. deep socket makes a nice press tool..... careful... the mec seals are ceramic....fragile. check for water pump replace thread....

gojk
08-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by redrooster310r
yes....the mechanical water seal is located behind the water pump. cost about 50 $.... must replace mec seal oil seal bearing,,, all behind h2o pump in clutch side cover... after you remove old.... stuff.. put case in oven @ 170 degrees, put bearing in freezer... both for about 15 min... seal will almost drop in ... a 1 in. deep socket makes a nice press tool..... careful... the mec seals are ceramic....fragile. check for water pump replace thread....

I have read the thread and I don't think it should be a prob to replace.

Where do you order the replacement parts from? I have looked around on the net a bit and I can't seem to find anyplace that sells them

redrooster310r
08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
ronnies ... honda o f troy racing ,,, service honda...

86 Quad R
08-20-2007, 06:51 AM
do you ride your R in wet conditions from time to time?

gojk
08-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
do you ride your R in wet conditions from time to time?

Pretty close to never.

86 Quad R
08-20-2007, 10:41 AM
i have seen water leak past the clutch lever seal while washing the quad and get into the crank case.

in most cases if the mechanical seal is leaking it will leak from the lower weep hole. not saying that it cant get into the crank case.

gojk
06-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I have now replaced the Mech Seal, oil seal,ect.

And still the problem persists.

It actually shows itself first by leaking out of the where the electrical comes out of the left crankcase cover. The water coming out is actually milky as if it is oil/water mixed.

Any other ideas?

stever250r
06-19-2008, 06:38 AM
When the mechanical seal on the impeller wears itself enough to allow water into the transmission oil, it will be enough that it overfills your transmission and you will start seeing the excess oil and water mix blowing out of the center case vent nipple underneath your carb.

You said you are now seeing the water behind the left side flywheel/stator cover?????

I always have some water behind that cover when I remove it. The water is condensation that is caused by the heat from the flywheel and stator assy. If you have oil behind that cover when you remove it, then I believe that is caused by the counterbalancer mount plate bearing seal, (o-ring). Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I wouldnt worry so much about just a small amount of water behind the stator cover. I've seen alot of people tap into the top of the stator cover and then install a fitting and a rigid brake line like on a car to vent the heat from behind the stator cover to help prevent the condensation buildup and water on the magneto points