PDA

View Full Version : Utah miners

chckmgntEX
08-16-2007, 08:14 PM
being from west virginia i know alot of coal miners,i almost became one myself,but got a job making roof supports for the mines instead.so this stuff kinda bothers me.im sure theres a few coal miners on here as well.i understand the danger the rescuers are putting themselves in,but c'mon something has to give.we can fly to the moon,but we cant find these guys in a mine?id think with all the communication technology we have now,robots,etc. surely they could find these guys in a mine.heck u could put a r/c car on a cable and drive the thing around in there if theres undamaged parts like they say.what do you guys think?

Quad18star
08-16-2007, 08:30 PM
I've been following this since it happened , and just now on the news , they had breaking news saying that 6 ambulances were dispatched to the mine , including an air ambulance .

These guys have been in my thoughts and prayers since it happened. I live in one of the largest mining communities in the world , so this event has a close- to- home feel .

There is a lot of technology out there , but when you don't know which part of the mine these guys were working in , it's kind of hard to pin point where they might be , especially when they're 2000 feet underground . It doesn't help that coal mines advance so quickly that you can't really record progress that has been made until the end of your shift.

Our mine rescue guys , which are the best in the World, volunteered to go down there and help with the rescue efforts , but the offer wasn't accepted. :ermm:

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that these guys make it out alive ... but with each passing hour , the bit of hope is fading . :(

sly400ex
08-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star

Our mine rescue guys , which are the best in the World, volunteered to go down there and help with the rescue efforts , but the offer wasn't accepted. :ermm:

Sounds like the good old states is being stubborn.:rolleyes:

If offered assistance, why not accept?:confused:

I'm hoping for a miracle with these guys!

chckmgntEX
08-16-2007, 08:47 PM
cnn said rescuers were injured by another bump.

i understand the dangers,complications,etc of getting these men out,but it still baffles me all they can do is put a camera or a microphone in there.

they drive robots on the moon,but they cant underground evidently.

my prayers are with these men and their families each day.

Quad18star
08-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by chckmgntEX
cnn said rescuers were injured by another bump.

i understand the dangers,complications,etc of getting these men out,but it still baffles me all they can do is put a camera or a microphone in there.

they drive robots on the moon,but they cant underground evidently.

my prayers are with these men and their families each day.

Just heard that too.

Many complications right now. The earth is moving ... the Mine's owner said that it was an earthquake that caused the initial collapse . Everyone called him a liar and said that it was his fault because of incidents that happened in the past ( poor reports) . Yesturday Peru got rocked by a major earthquake , now tonight more earth shuffle. I guess it wasn't his fault after all.

The reason for a camera and a microphone is because that's the fastest way to get to different areas of the mine . It's faster to drill a hole a few inches wide , rather than a few feet wide . They don't know where these guys are . There's no point of drilling a big shaft into a drift , only to find out these guys weren't in that drift.

Now that these rescuers have gotten injured , that is putting a whole other screw into this ordeal . It's hard to send down a team of rescuers , when the mine isn't safe anymore . All this seismic activity is screwing the efforts up. :(

burrows
08-16-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't know much about mining since I live in Mo. But since they had more trouble tonight in the mine and if they can drill a hole down to drop a microphone and camera why can't they drill a big enough hole to drop a guy down to see if he can find the other guys? I know this would be dangerous but seems like it would be faster than doing what they are doing now. I really feel sorry for the families just waiting for good news and then to hear more bad news tonight. mommab

gncc025
08-16-2007, 11:47 PM
3 rescue workers confirmed dead:(

maybe something good will come out of this and they will find some or hopefully all of the miners alive. :ermm:

Ghost-Rider
08-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Hate to say this, i think their gone...

I have grandparents from shamokin (i think ?) PA, my great grandfather was killed in a mine when a huge piece of slate fell on top of him.

mx825
08-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by gncc025
3 rescue workers confirmed dead:(

maybe something good will come out of this and they will find some or hopefully all of the miners alive. :ermm:

that is absolutely terrible.

i hope there's something good hidden in this tragedy :(

Quad18star
08-17-2007, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by burrows
I don't know much about mining since I live in Mo. But since they had more trouble tonight in the mine and if they can drill a hole down to drop a microphone and camera why can't they drill a big enough hole to drop a guy down to see if he can find the other guys? I know this would be dangerous but seems like it would be faster than doing what they are doing now. I really feel sorry for the families just waiting for good news and then to hear more bad news tonight. mommab

Like I had said above , it's faster to drill a borehole a few inches wide like they have been doing ( 2 1/2 inches) rather than drill a borehole a few feet wide in order to fit someone down there. They would be wasting more time drilling big instead of small.

It takes hours just to drill a few feet of hardrock , and these guys are 2000 feet underground. The process would go a lot faster if they could use dynomite and blast their way down , but because of the unstability of the mine right now , that can't be done. All it takes is one jolt and the roof bolts and screen providing roof support comes crashing down . :ermm:

If these miners were able to make it into a chamber that has air and water , they will be able to make it out alive. They'll be in pretty rough shape , but atleast with water they could survive.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these miners hoping they make it out alright .

Also our prayers are with the families of the rescue workers that passed away lastnight . These guys are true Heroes.

bwamos
08-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
If these miners were able to make it into a chamber that has air and water , they will be able to make it out alive. They'll be in pretty rough shape , but atleast with water they could survive.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these miners hoping they make it out alright .

Also our prayers are with the families of the rescue workers that passed away lastnight . These guys are true Heroes.

Aye, you can survive a month without food. Water is the 2nd biggest issue. Toxic gasses & high heat would be the #1 issue for them probably. 2000ft down the pressure creates a LOT of heat.

Quad18star
08-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Aye, you can survive a month without food. Water is the 2nd biggest issue. Toxic gasses & high heat would be the #1 issue for them probably. 2000ft down the pressure creates a LOT of heat.

I was reading lastnight , that the temperature underground right now would be about 60 degrees and that there was 17% oxygen in one of the chambers that they had drilled into.

I don't think anyone would want to be in their situation right now .... a cold , wet chamber with no food and no light. :ermm: If you've ever been underground with no lights , you know that you can't see your hand when it's 2 inches away from your face ... scary feeling.

I come from a family of miners ( 3 generations) and have many friends that are miners..... they all say that the scariest thought when they jump in the cage and it drops them thousands of feet , is that they'll get trapped underground .

Raptor68
08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Hopefully they will make it out okay.

ThePhantomRider
08-17-2007, 10:23 AM
This just keeps getting worse, another mine collapse has killed 3 rescue miners as well as injured 6 others trying to dig down to them.

At this point, all they can do is add more bore holes to see if they can actually find them, but I fear time is running out, and they may never recover those in there.

TPR

burrows
08-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Gosh this is just getting worse. I know they are use to going in the dark and way down deep but I would not imagine what they are going through. I just keep hoping the bore holes will come through with a postive sign. mommab