PDA

View Full Version : How to assemble the rear axle and carrier, 300ex

DANVAN
08-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Ok I blew apart my rear axle and bearings a while ago, carrier was destroyed so Im starting with all new and need some help.

I bought a new factory axle and a bullit carrier with a greese fitting and all bearings and seals installed.

Im not sure about how much greese Im suppose to pump into the carrier before I install it. Also not sure about any o-rings on the outside of the carrier.

I borrowed a repair manual for a 400ex, and I got a 'parts' printout from the honda dealer, and there is some conflicting stuff in the pics. The sheet from the honda dealer is for a 300, is there some differences between a 300 and a 400ex?

The old carrier looks like the was possibly 2 o-rings on the outside of it. the new one from Eastcoast ATV said it was ready to install, but there are no o-rings on it, and only 1 groove which I think is for the big 'c' clip??

Does the caliper stay fit over the end of the carrier? It wouldnt fit over it enough to get the 'c' clip on??

I wanted to put it together tonight but to many questions, I dont want to assemble it wrong and ruin new bearings by letting water in.

How often does the carrier need greesing? It cant be greesed once its installed right?

The 400ex book shows an o-ring at the end of the axle, near the wheel hub, my orig axle did not have any oring there, is this somthing just for a 400?

I havent riden since may and was hoping to get out this weekend, any help is greatly appreciated. I think Ill have more questions after I post this.

Thanks.

cbrooks118
08-17-2007, 12:17 PM
I havent done the after market carrier, but i have replaced bearrings in my stock carrier

Those rings on the outermost part of the carrier are dust seals.

Also, not to be rude, but why are you replacing the axle? I could understand if you wanted a longer one, but another factory one?

Not sure about the c clip, i am trying to remember

let me know on how often you grease it when you figure it out, i will get one of theose carriers on my next rebuild

honda300EXtreme
08-17-2007, 12:45 PM
ok, ill try to help you out with this,, im not queit sure about some of your qestions though

-the 2 o-rings that go around the carrier are not neccessary for an aftermarket carrier

-what kind of carrier did you get? if the greese zerk is in the middle, put enough greese in it till where it gives a good coating on the internals of the carrier,,

and yes the brake stay fits over the end of the carrier and is held on with the clip..

i would consider buying a repair manual for your quad...

i will probably post some pics for you later tonight if your still confused

DANVAN
08-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the help.

I went with a stock axle because from what I read online I found out it was strong enough for my riding. I didnt want any wider because of space in my trailer, I need to fit 4 quads in there that just make it now. I went with an after market carrier because I read that stock ones dont hold up. I dont know what brand it is, but it has double wide sealed bearings and it was $119.00. I had to replace the axle because it got a beat-up when the bearings got wiped out, not because it was bent. Aftermarket axles were too rich for my blood too.

I called eastcoast atv today, the guy there was helpfull. He said that the greese zerk just greeses the sleeve inside the carrier so it doest rust to the axle, and to only pump in about 3 pumps of greese 1 or 2 times a year.The bearings are sealed, so none of this greese will get into them. He said this carrier did not need o- rings on the outside, only the stock one did.

I popped out the o -ring from the inside of the caliper stay and now it does fit over the end of tha carrier, so now I know it fits, just have to clean up the surface and lube the o-ring, and it should fit ok.

Pictures sure would be nice if its not to much trouble honda300extreme, thanks.

I did have to order those wierd shaped rubber seals that go in the very end of the carrier, where the 2 allen bolts tighten up the carrier, so I wont be out until next week now. When I was cleaning it up last night I found 1 seal torn.

Thanks again for the help.

honda300EXtreme
08-17-2007, 07:15 PM
what do you want pics of?

just tell me what you want and ill take pics tomorrow,

i have a whole 300 rear end lying around so it wont be a problem to show you how every thing goes

let me know

DANVAN
08-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Any pics u think will help will be appreciated, dont go to too much trouble tho.

Thanks. Maybe tommorrow night or sunday I can attemp to start putting it together again.

honda300EXtreme
08-17-2007, 07:46 PM
yea, ill get some pics, just so you have some reference pics..

i know how ya feel my quad was down for about a month while i got the rear end set up, its almost finished... i cant wait to ride my quad again...

DANVAN
08-18-2007, 08:58 PM
We assembled it tonight. Seems to be working good, took it for a 5 min ride behind my house at 10pm. No noise, seems tight.

The lock nut gave us a hard time little tricky to figure it out and still not 100% sure its tight enough. How much do u crank on the inner nut, and how much do you suppose to compress the inner hubs. Can I see a pic of the gap between the hubs and the carrier?

honda300EXtreme
08-18-2007, 09:04 PM
glad to hear ya got it together,,,,

the axle lock nut should be pretty snug,, you dont want to crank it because it will put too much pressure on the bearing, causing premature wear...

i can get a pic tomorrow, so you need a pic of the brake hub and the sprocket hub gaps from the carrier,, correct?

DANVAN
08-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Yes that is what I need.

The inner lock nut thightens up against the rotor hub, and the outer nut stays over the ring, is this correct?

Thanks again

honda300EXtreme
08-19-2007, 01:27 PM
the outer ring goes against the ring on the axle and the inner nut tightens against the outer ring..

DANVAN
08-20-2007, 03:22 AM
I tightened the inner nut against the rotor hub, is it supposed to be against the outer nut?

Pics would help if u have them, Thanks.

honda300EXtreme
08-20-2007, 03:50 PM
ok heres a pic,, if ya need anymore let me know

DANVAN
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM
OK, I can see I tightened the inner nut the wrong direction, I have to tighten it againts the outer nut.

I still need a pic of the space between the 2 inner hubs and the carrier.

I was at the dealer today, and I could see on there 400's that I was wrong with the inner nut, but they did not have a 300 in stock for me to see the space that Im looking for, and the 400's are a little different.

Thanks.

DANVAN
08-21-2007, 04:13 PM
any more pics 300extreme?

honda300EXtreme
08-21-2007, 05:00 PM
well, i can get pics, but the only pics i would be able to get to show you the gaps would be of the 400ex rear end on my bike,,, i dont have a spare rotor and sprocket to put on my spare 300ex rear end to show you...

but theres really no way for the gaps to be incorrect, because everything has to fit a certain way to work properly

DANVAN
08-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Thats what I was thinking, the snap ring kind of controls where every thing goes.
When I was at the dealer, I saw a few 400's, they are a little different then my 300, and there werent any 300s to look at.
It all seems to be working fine, tonight I put new rear pads in it, and put the inner nut against the outer nut to lock it in place, so I think Im all set now.

Thanks.

honda300EXtreme
08-21-2007, 06:44 PM
yup, if ya still have any concerns you can post a pic of your rear end, and i can tell you if anything looks wrong