PDA

View Full Version : Break in

cthomps07
08-16-2007, 07:52 PM
I just got my 08 home and I was wondering as I didnt find a whole lot on it in the manual........how do they want you to break it in? Says be gentle for 15 miles...is that it?

ryanowarrior
08-16-2007, 09:22 PM
everyone has different opinions on this!! some say take it easy for a while to break in, and some believe drive it like you stole it, not really, just got out and ride it like you normally would!!! i've done both ways and really cant tell one from the other, so its your own opinion on that!! post some pics of it, your the only one i know on here that has an 08, so lets see it!!! ha!!

Flyin-Low
08-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Very controversial topic.

But here is what I do personally and never had a problem with. I just take it out for a light trail ride ranging from idle to blips of full throttle, making sure not to hold it at one consistent RPM, for a bout 15 mins the first time. Let it cool down, then take it out the same way for about 20-30 mins, let it cool down and then change the oil/filter and ride like I normally would.

You'll get lots of different opinions, but it's work for every rebuild on my 400ex and 450r.

-Martin

cthomps07
08-16-2007, 09:29 PM
I will have some pics tomorrow its dirty right now and its dark out and my garage is a mess I barely got it in there. Its the black with blue flames. Not exactly what I wanted. I wanted a red kicker but I got a price for $6800 about 70 miles away and had to wait 3 weeks. I went to a local here and got mine for $6300 and his cost was 62 and change so I figured I didnt make out too bad. I was sad to have e-start but oh well I guess its nice in a way. Its all stock right now but I will get some skids for it this winter and either a white bros or yoshi pipe before spring its just way too quiet:D

cthomps07
08-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
Very controversial topic.

But here is what I do personally and never had a problem with. I just take it out for a light trail ride ranging from idle to blips of full throttle, making sure not to hold it at one consistent RPM, for a bout 15 mins the first time. Let it cool down, then take it out the same way for about 20-30 mins, let it cool down and then change the oil/filter and ride like I normally would.

You'll get lots of different opinions, but it's work for every rebuild on my 400ex and 450r.

-Martin

I did exactly that except havent changed to oil and filter yet. Once my ship ment of oil and filters comes in I will change it and I should be good to go.

GOTFEAR
08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
i would ride it like you would normally would go ahead its not a two stroke and go ahead and give it your personality.,.,.,.,.,,..,.,.,.,

08-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Break it in hard.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

ryanowarrior
08-17-2007, 10:43 AM
you mentioned an exhaust!! i got a white bro pro carbon, that is close to mint as they come!! i might be willin to sell it, lookin to try a new exhaust!!!!! i think at black and blue R is the best color besides good ol RED!!

cthomps07
08-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by ryanowarrior
you mentioned an exhaust!! i got a white bro pro carbon, that is close to mint as they come!! i might be willin to sell it, lookin to try a new exhaust!!!!! i think at black and blue R is the best color besides good ol RED!!

Is it a slip on or complete system? How much? I agree on the color. It looks alot more purple than blue in certain light but who cares when its screaming up hills or blasting down the trail. I am more than impressed. I just took it out and thrashed it a little and all I can say is wow will that thing ever move:eek2: My buds yfz doesnt even come close on power.

Dupontster
08-17-2007, 11:30 AM
I say break it in like you are gonna ride it. Ride it hard but dont stay in to high of rpms for to long.

ryanowarrior
08-17-2007, 11:59 AM
its the full system with the carbon canstor!!! here's a pic of!!! i love the sound of it!! just tryin to deside if i get rid of it, what i should get!! shoot me a price, i dunno!!

sandmanblue
08-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
Break it in hard.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

A LOT of ppl are misunderstanding that website. The guy is referring to breaking in a new piston/rings on a well broken in motor. He is NOT saying that you take a brand new, never been run motor and go out and rag on it!

There's plenty of things that take time to wear in properly on a new quad. If it moves, it will need break in.

I personally subscribe to a three heat cycle break in method. 1st, a 5 minute run at moderate rpm (not idle - not at high rpm), then let cool OVERNIGHT. 2nd, a good 3 - 5 minute warm up and a 5 minute light trail ride. Then let it cool completely - a few hours at least. 3rd is another 3 - 5 minute warm up and another light trail ride for about 10 - 15 minutes with occasional full throttle runs in one gear. hen let it cool overnight and the next time you ride, you should simply warm it up good and light trail ride for a couple minutes before ragging on it.

Don't listen to the numbnuts telling you to rag on it right off the bat. Let them fubar their own motors.....

08-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Your misunderstanding read closer. This is the first line on the website

I wrote "Break-In Secrets" after successfully applying this method
to approximately 300 NEW engines, all without any problems whatsoever.

08-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue

Don't listen to the numbnuts telling you to rag on it right off the bat. Let them fubar their own motors.....

Do you build motors?