PDA

View Full Version : Jumping problem..

Hondamaster5505
08-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Can anyone help me? Whenever im going off a jump, as soon as a leave, it nose dives. Even if you give it throttle, it nosedives. Do you think my back shock is too soft and its preloading too much, or am i doing something wrong?

08-16-2007, 04:18 PM
What is wrong with my 450R or 400EX rear end?
The stock linkage on these two bikes sets the travel of the shock too high in the chassis, thus making the rear end kick up very harsh when you hit a sharp object or come up just a hair short on a jump where the rear tires just clip the down side of the landing and you end up going over the bars. To solve this you can either raise the top shock mount on the frame by cutting and rewelding it or buy the GT Thunder linkage.

the gt thunder linkage works wonders or you can go to derisi racing for the same thing...site sponsor c&d racing say they can achieve the same effect with just a revalve

Kaleigh
08-16-2007, 04:33 PM
if its still stock front shocks.. you can turn the preload up a bit..

Hondamaster5505
08-16-2007, 04:36 PM
i dont think it has anything to do with the front shox, cuz its the rear that flies up

f150mann
08-16-2007, 06:11 PM
i just let off when at the top of the jump, then give it a quick blurp, and it works good

CarGuy7a
08-16-2007, 06:34 PM
if i gas mine real hard at the bottom of the jump my rear will fling up too.

what i've played with is i've turned the rear compression and dampening on the stock rear shock to full hard and it seemed to help. i've also been trying to hold the throttle at a constant all the way through the jump instead of hammering it real hard at the bottom of the hill i'm jumping.

08-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
i've also been trying to hold the throttle at a constant all the way through the jump instead of hammering it real hard at the bottom of the hill i'm jumping.

That is key. Be on the throttle at a steady pace instead of slamming the throttle at the bottom or top of the jump. I experienced the nose dive situation 2 days ago doing a step up type jump because I hit the gas at the bottom. Hitting the gas at the top isnt so bad but it makes your wheels spin therefore your not going to go as far. TRY AND STAY STEADY ON THE GAS AND PITCH THE BIKE WHILE IN THE AIR. Once you master this jumps are a breeze.

Kaleigh
08-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
i dont think it has anything to do with the front shox, cuz its the rear that flies up

are they stock shocks.. if so. what are they set at.. also.. a stiff rear and a soft front will make the rear end come up more.. well thats what i personally experienced with mine..

try playing around with the setting in the front and back and see what it does..

08-16-2007, 08:13 PM
did anybody read my post? you cannot completely eliminate without revalving the rear shock. that is why i have done the suggested mod to both my ex and my 450r.

Hondamaster5505
08-16-2007, 08:56 PM
i am running the fronts on the softest setting, (we do mainly trails and hillclimbs) so ill tighten that up and see. And yes, i did read your post, i dont have time to get them revalved right away. Im going riding in freeland pa real soon.

GOTFEAR
08-16-2007, 09:25 PM
just takes practice everry rider is diferent in how they jump on stock or full blown mx you need to find your style. learn how to move your bike around in the air and use your legs to help i full throtle up to the jump and blip the throtle just as the front tires are just about to go air born.

08-16-2007, 09:28 PM
For me judging speed foir a distance is hardest for me. I got down pitching the bike and landing things are great now.

08-16-2007, 09:57 PM
i was referencing all of the other people giving you suggestions. while those may hep in some cases, none are nearly as effective as mine. 26+ years of riding experience could not guarantee a "no buck" jump everytime.

08-16-2007, 09:59 PM
i was referencing all of the other people giving you suggestions. while those may hep in some cases, none are nearly as effective as mine. 28+ years of riding experience could not guarantee a "no buck" jump everytime.

QuadManiac
08-17-2007, 01:57 AM
"Long sigs are a waste, please keep them short, we don't need to know what quad your buddy, dad, brother, mother, aunt, uncle, and the neighbors cat is riding, or the mods that they have, want, have ordered, looked at, thought about or sold."

Lol... nor pompous descriptions of long sig.... sigs.

johnsls
08-17-2007, 06:42 AM
where are you positioned on the bike??
I noticed when I first starting taking some jumps I was sitting up close to the gas tank. Now I try to make sure I'm positioned further to the back of the seat.

Try it, it may work, but other than that try what others said about keeping a steady throttle,, don't stab at it.