PDA

View Full Version : Metrakit PRO PIPE Issues!!!!!

Logan #34's Dad
08-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Hey fellas, Have any of you installed the pro pipe yet? Well, mine came from the courier and I ran out to install it on Logan's '07 DRR/DRX 70 (bought as a w/c 90). The head pipe is simple. Then I began installing the pretty pipe. Well, the fat part of the pipe barely sqeezed between the rear motor mount diagnal tubing and the upper shock mount tubing. Then I noticed the location for the silencer mount (where the silencer meets the pipe) it in the middle and pointed UP at about a 45 degree angle in front and on top of the grab bar. I went ahead and cut off the tail light braket (have to) and slid the silencer in the rubber sleeve. The silencer sticks up and is touching the plastic at a 45 degree angle right behind the seat. Then it is about 5 inches longer than the grab bar. It looks absolutley retarded! Not to mention if Logan were to roll the quad (which will happen) the silencer would be smashed.
I called the supplier (down south) and he did not have any answers. He is going to be installing one on a DRR Friday. Hopefully he will see the obvious flaw and have it addressed.
For $429.00 there should be NO issues. IMO.
If I knew how to post pics I would.

etondaddy
08-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Instead of trying to explain it to ya right now just e-mail me the pics and I’ll post them for ya. mikekozura@yahoo.com

Mike

Logan #34's Dad
08-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Hey Mike, Pics were sent to ya - I think. LOL.

etondaddy
08-17-2007, 04:37 AM
Here ya go Rock

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe001.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe002.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe003.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe004.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe005.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe006.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe007.jpg

kenjolly
08-17-2007, 06:39 AM
I saw one last night but they cut about 5 inchs off the silencer to make it work. i hope you get this fixed im getting mine tomarrow. keep us updated.

drr5
08-17-2007, 07:02 AM
i installed one the other night i cut 4 inches off the length reassembled it and also added a 45 degree piece of exhaust tubing to lower it under an ac grab bar, our install looks great ,you also need to cut off the battery box for this pipe to fit well. as for the 429.00 should fit what you ordered it for, they made this pipe for one frame style and although it does basicaly fit mods will be needed in order to make these silencers fit, but on the other hand this pipe works really well, if i get a chance ill take some pics.

markvette
08-17-2007, 08:33 AM
man thats weird looking. i have had to make a bracket to make a pipe fit but i have never seen a pipe you had to almost totally redesign to make it fit. i really cant see what mini quad frame that pipe would work on in its stock form. also pipes are usually built for a certain rpm range band power curve, when you have to add or take out of the pipe or silencer you change that power curve. think i would want something that fit a little better for that price.

Mark

jetmedic
08-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Pipe was originally fitted for a Unison Desert Cat. You will need to be creative to make it work but it is well worth it. I have welded a tab to the end of the pipe,not the silencer, and supported the pipe at the end as well. I also use a drr silencer with it on my APEX.

drr5
08-17-2007, 09:12 AM
changing the silencer size is only going to make minimal amounts of change im not saying to cut on the pipe, we have them on a predator an apex and now the drr the apex has about 4 inch silencer made from the origanal mk , and the other has an hetrick style silencer.

wrhracing
08-17-2007, 09:45 AM
$429.00? Jesus Christ !

:eek2: I'm Gonna go get me some more Kool Aide mixed up!

dodgepower
08-17-2007, 10:26 AM
LOL @ Billy...........................

jetmedic
08-17-2007, 11:02 AM
LOL

markvette
08-17-2007, 11:30 AM
ok man i got a new pipe that will be out next week built expecially for mini quads. you do have to do a little work to make it fit. you only have to have a welder and a pipe bender. you have to cut 12" out of the head pipe, then you will have to slice into the expansion chamber and downsize it to make it fit through the frame. then the silencer is only 2" long so you will have to extend it to get past the shock. this thing will add 10,000 rpm to your quad and none of these mods to the pipe or silencer will effect what power range the pipe was built for. best thing is that it will cost $ 1.500 and we all know the more it cost the more power it will make. ROFLMAO

sorry guys but i just dont see it, expecially for the price. i think i will stick with what has been proven and is winning national races.

sldhd700
08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
That looks like a pipe for when the sh#%t get deep. If they made an air intake for 250.00 you could use it for mud bogging!!!

drr5
08-17-2007, 12:23 PM
LOL

jetski_dawg
08-17-2007, 01:20 PM
ill stick with the trinity pipes

kenjolly
08-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Ok then, whats the next best pipe for drr 70 or 90.

kgmtech
08-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Are the trinity pipes good pipes for mx racing,I have ran a koso and a west coast quads pipe which both work decent,trying for a little more grunt on the bottom...

kenjolly
08-17-2007, 02:48 PM
OK Gary this is what you do best and im sure im a step behind, but call Ozzy and have the pipe made to fit the DRR.

because you get things done!!!!!!!!!!!!

markvette
08-17-2007, 04:48 PM
ok to answer a few questions. the koso is more a top end pipe, the hetrick/trinity pipe and wrh pipe have more bottom and mid than the koso. off road.com done a test on these pipes a few years ago and that was their results. the reason i put a slash between the trinity and the hetrick pipe is because they are the same pipe. jon anderson aka raptor 720 designed that pipe. wrh pipes are his design and build and he has more than one, some for botto, some for mid and some for top end. it is almost impossible to build a pipe that will shine in all rpm levels. a pipes rpm range depends on a lot of factors, head pipe length and diameter, expansion chamber shape and diameter, stinger size and yes silencer. you start messing with any of these things and you change what rpm range the pipe was built for. now as far as the metrikit pipe i know very little about it but i would like to see a pic of it on the mini it was built for with no mods done to it to make it fit. also on being built for a desert cat i cant see that, the desert cat is a predator clone and i know it will not fit a predator without major surgery. the rear frames of the predator and drr are very similar so the fit should be the same. now you can take this for what its worth but all these just bolt on parts will never compete with a properly ported. built and tuned mini quad and i know that for a fact. i really try to stay out of most this stuff on here, just curiously watch and listen but truthfully i only know a handfull of people that have had their hands in more mini quad motors than i have. now i will again sit back and watch and listen curiously.

Mark

kenjolly
08-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Mark, My son turn's 7 this month and will be running the 70 production class but will be the youngest and doesnt need all the top end. I am looking for a pipe that will get him good starts and pull out of the corners. The speed will come as he gets use to the power and with age and experiance. We are running metrakit head cylinder and crank also pvl and a 24mm kiehin.

thanks Ken

ecmini1
08-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Guys,
You have to back up a bit and note where these eng. first came from SCOOTERS and untill recently most parts were for the scooters and we made them work.
By the way that looks kicking up in the back is mosy likely for a scooter.
I agree with mark you should only have to modify some not revamp the whole rear section. Also for that horrilble price it better bolt on.
The stock DRR pipe mirrors a koso pipe which is a good pipe. If you are going to spend stupid money spend smart money on a custom pipe that will be to your specs.

The most HP is made by tuning the proper parts not just bolting on a bunch of expensive parts.

BradLoomis
08-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by ecmini1
By the way that looks kicking up in the back is mosy likely for a scooter.
Unfortunately... this was built for a mini. But it also states " an Armstrong frame". At least that's what I think Oz meant to type, I just don't know what that means in a difference to frames. Definately a Unison Desert Cat body, which has the same frame as a Predator.

http://www.cycleimports.com/acatalog/large.jpg
http://www.cycleimports.com/acatalog/ATVPROexhaust_und_tail.jpg
814Q0013 - ATV EXHAUST - ATV Pro Race Exhaust pipe

Pro Race, Under seat exhaust. Designed for MK Pro race Cylinder kit #814Q0021.
Fits most Asian Quads with Amrstrong frame

Price: $429.00 (Excluding: FL residents will have tax added at 6.5%)

http://www.cycleimports.com/acatalog/ATVSPexhaust_side_mount.jpg
814Q0011 - SP Exhaust, universal fit

SP tuned exhaust, side mount for universal fit. Fits all minarelli powered Asian Quads

Price: $320.00 (Excluding: FL residents will have tax added at 6.5%)

jetski_dawg
08-18-2007, 01:13 PM
if i had to pay for someone to fix my kids quads and build them i wouldnt be able to afford this sport...i was a heavy equipment mechanic for 15yrs so i know how to hold a wrench but i dont know jack about these engines.. thats why im here to learn and ask questions and if i think i can help someone, ill pass on what little i know, because its sucks starting out and you can run out of money real fast.. my kids dont have to come in first..but i dont want them out-gunned or worse...HURT.. ok..my .02 the DRR pipe i had on my daughters 07 welds broke 3x.. it was a good pipe but i had great luck with the trinity pipe on another quad that took a severe beating and held up..plus when i installed it it was like going from a lawn mower to a V8.. and not to kill any-bodies sales here.. but i seen someone selling the pipes brand-new on e-bay for 175.00.. i did have to cut the battery box out to make the pipe fit(only mod).. and i just want to say thanks to mark and others that help us dads out.. its about the kids

ecmini1
08-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Jetski dawg. You hit the head on the nail with that one. At a local level of racing its all about fun and some people loose site of that. Have fun but stay competitive kids hate to come in last but they still are smiling if they had fun.

The sp pipe looks to be more for the DRR frame.

i-zapp
08-19-2007, 02:16 PM
with one or two strategically placed band saw cuts, you can twist the rear section of the pipe to bring the stinger down under the grab bar. i also had to shorten the silencer and make a custom hanger (not shown below).

is 4 hundred bucks too much for a piece that still needs rework to fit your mini? it all depends if anything else can put you out front for cheaper. we took 8 out of 10 holeshots at natls with this combo. (c.h. took the other, and he's running mk too).

http://i-zapp.com/metrakit2/images/mkpipe2%20015.jpg

WOLFPACK
08-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by i-zapp
with one or two strategically placed band saw cuts, you can twist the rear section of the pipe to bring the stinger down under the grab bar. i also had to shorten the silencer and make a custom hanger (not shown below).

is 4 hundred bucks too much for a piece that still needs rework to fit your mini? it all depends if anything else can put you out front for cheaper. we took 8 out of 10 holeshots at natls with this combo. (c.h. took the other, and he's running mk too).

http://i-zapp.com/metrakit2/images/mkpipe2%20015.jpg I'm glad to see you sitting in on this discussion! Yours is just the feedback needed.

From the many discussion that took place at Loreeta Lynns pretty much everyone agreed that Zachary Szappanos had the fastest set-up. Even Christian Horn's Grandfather agreed. Christian is running an MK motor built by Justin but not the MK pipe.

Say what you want about the price, fitment or whatever. Bottom line......this set-up rips!

jetmedic
08-20-2007, 05:30 AM
Well said WOLFPACK. Bottom line.

Logan #34's Dad
08-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey G, If Ozzy does not come up with a "recall" or a "fix" then I'm sending my pipe to you!!! LOL. Also, did you see I'm whipping you in the points in the CRA!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

i-zapp
08-22-2007, 08:11 AM
i wouldnt hold my breath. ozzy was aware of the fit issues back in march when i first recieved my pipe. i even offered to reverse engineer my pipe and send him drawings of the required changes. he never took me up on it, i'm guessing because it would have been cost prohibitive for metrakit to retool. too bad really.

we may run Lorain county this weekend. it'd be nice to cap off our career with a win, especially when running our 70 in the senior class!

Logan #34's Dad
08-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Come down and run a little Malvern. Zach would love it. Nothing over aggressive. Fast and smooth. I'd like to see if he could put one on that 14yo 90cc rider!! Also, I'm thinking of runnig at Mapleshade in upper PA on the weekend of Sept. 1st and 2nd. Suppose to be a good turn out - not that far for you. Mapquest says 3 1/2 hrs for me and I go right through your fair city. Later

etondaddy
08-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey Rock do yourself a favor and go to Maple Shade, It’s one of our D5 tracks and we’ve been there three times this year, Kyle loves it. I will guarantee you at least fifteen 90’s if not a full gate, not sure about the 70’s I know at least two Reimer, and Joe Dogg. We’ll be up Saturday night Kyle fractured his elbow riding his bike in the yard and is out for at least three to four weeks. You talk about a bummer. I don’t know who’s more upset him or me lol. We’ll both be at the line for the 90 race on Sunday. It’s a D5, D5 state, and a PAMX state race on Sunday the place we be packed. It’s a nice place with nice people running it. Doug and Sherry Lawson tellem’ Etondaddy sent ya

Logan #34's Dad
08-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Hey Buddy, I'm trying to figure it all out as we speak. How about Hotels? I would like to stay overnight there but wifey and sisters won't like that much. LOL. Also, Logan has his first football scrimmage on Saturday. HE TOLD MOM THAT HE WANTS TO GO RACING!!! WOOOO. I'm torn though. He is only a 4th grader and won't play much anyhow. We'll see.
I'd like to know what the turn out should be for the 70cc's. Also, will we have to run against the auto Cobra's in D5 or is there a cvt only class. PAMX runs the auto Cobra's with cvt. :ermm:
Later

etondaddy
08-23-2007, 07:24 AM
There is no CVT only classes in D5. I know it sucks. We'll be there Sunday to watch.............. now that sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!

cz440
08-24-2007, 07:30 AM
We will be at Mapleshade too. We will be running in the 70 and 90 class.

etondaddy
08-24-2007, 08:33 AM
It's going to be a great weekend at Maple shade.......... it's just so hard to believe we're not going to be racing !!

I'll beat ya it's going to be close to a qualifier in the 90's !!!!!

Doug Lawson posted this on the D5 site
http://amadistrict5.proboards20.com/index.cgi?board=MX&action=display&thread=1187955135

Reimer Racing
08-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Rock and Daddy forget the Hotels and camp. There should be about 6 - 70's and 7 - 90's from D4. Looking forward to racing with you guys again. Be sure to stop by sat nite, one of the moms are turnning the big 40 things could get interesting. Jello shots + kereoke = :D

TeamSimsRacing
08-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Hey G, If Ozzy does not come up with a "recall" or a "fix" then I'm sending my pipe to you!!! LOL. Also, did you see I'm whipping you in the points in the CRA!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I think we were probably the first to run the metrakit stuff at the nationals level last year and we too tried to work with Ozzy on some issuess. This is what I figured out... The metrakit stuff is great and it runs very well. Ozzy imports stuff from metrakit and has little to no tech experience except what is passed back to him and I don't believe he has any pull to get the folks back in Spain to make any changes. Unfortunate but it is what it is. With that being said, Ozzy is a great person to work with and he's always been true to his word.

Also the metrakit is fast but there's better out there. We only ran the metrakit mid season, we switched right after Virginia to an even faster set up:D

markvette
08-25-2007, 06:47 AM
now Brad you done blew the metrikit dream. i too know there is better out there

Mark

kenjolly
08-25-2007, 07:15 AM
You made mention of better, but didnt name any names. are you holding out on us guys. hahahaha

markvette
08-25-2007, 08:00 AM
most the motor builders like brad simms, wrh and a few others will hold out a while on newer and better products. some are pretty good right out of the box but can always be made better with a good port job and someone that knows what all the numbers mean and what they should be to get the best out of a motor. the metrikit cylinder i saw over a year ago when brad simms was the only one running it and keeping it under his hat. billy holt and i made a trip to dallas to justin halls shop and it was sitting on a set of cases with a degree wheel on it ready to be checked out by billy so it is not really new. you want better call the guys i mentioned in another post that i said had been around a while and if they spoke it would pay to listen. dont get me wrong, i am not putting anyone down. a lot of these parts are pretty good out of the box but you have a handfull of people that can make a night and day difference in the same product. the mini quad engine building evolves very quickly. i see things now that a few years ago i would have never dreamed would have worked or been built for mini quads. we all know this is a very expensive sport and whether we like it or not a big part of it is to keep ahead of the other racers if we want our kid to be at the front of the pack. i started like most here with the minis. knew nothing and was looking for a little help. i was lucky and a few of the best helped me and it helped that billy holt only lived 80 miles from me. that friendship has helped me a lot. i have been to the dealer show twice in the past 3 years, i have also been able to meet some of the best in the business and been involved in a lot of the testing and developing of things that work on these little engines. again most was luck and the desire to learn and it did help that i had a pretty good mechanical background. most these guys are on here to help and some are learning too so best advice i can give is to listen and take in all you can.

Mark

Logan #34's Dad
09-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Well fellas, I got er sliced and rewelded to come under the grab bar and out the back. It sticks out about 4 inches out past the grab bar though. I just made a bolt on grab bar (wheelie bar) to protect it. I would really like to cut about 3 1/2 inches off the silencer but I'm afraid it might mess up the performance. What to you think? I'll send photos to Etondaddy to post for me.

jetmedic
09-09-2007, 06:00 PM
logan34 Hows everything working for you. lets see some pics.

kenjolly
09-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Dusty Robinson modified his sons pipe about 3.5 to 4in and it runs just fine and fits under the rear grab bar.

dblacks
09-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Is just fine the same as it ran before cutting the metrakit pipe down or is just fine a little slower but still okay?

kenjolly
09-10-2007, 08:14 AM
That i cant tell you, but it does run very well. It doesnt turn on until the rpm's get up their. our riders are young and are just getting use to the power. I just had some motor work done to the 70 last week and he wants more allready. These kids master the power very quickly so save yourself some money and build it when its apart the first time.

cheatermtrsprts
09-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Actually if you cut the silencer in half it looks and fits decent. I talked with the Oz man several times. He did not like the first one I did with an Apex silencer.(He didn't have a silencer when I got the pipe from him) The next 3 silencers I cut were original MK. I have seen one of his pipes on an Armstrong frame at his house. It looks like it fits perfect. The SP pipe he sells with a REAL carbon fiber silencer is made to exit on the side of the frame and will fit the mini's we run. As far as performance, I cannot tell the difference from a stock length silencer to a cut one. I'm not saying that there isn't one...but not noticable. I prefer the Pro pipe over the SP. The SP works good on 70's. I'm not sure if this will help anyone, I'm just sharing my personal experiences.

etondaddy
10-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Here yeah go Rock

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe2006.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe2005.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe2004.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe2002.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/MetrakitProPipe2001.jpg

Andyman17dad
10-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Well, that's a nice guard.
If that were turned upside down, would it also work if you had the pipe come out over the grab bar like it comes?

bulldogfallon
10-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Here is a picture of our MK silencer cut with an AC grab bar.

Compliments of Dusty at Cheater Motorsports

http://www.g-forcepowersports.com/sitebuilder/images/IMG_3103-600x400.jpg

Logan #34's Dad
10-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks, Etondaddy!
Bulldog - Did Dusty run any dyno tests before and after shortning the silencer? I'm just afraid to cut mine!
As far as the grab bar (cage), I now have a swimming pool noodle around the top edge for saftey.

bulldogfallon
10-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Ozzie said that MK tested the shorter silencer and it didn't lose any performance...just made it a little louder...

I am pretty sure that you will see a shorter silencer show up as a stock option in the future from MK

The longer silencer was designed to run on the Unison mini, but that is not where they are showing up today

The grab bar is from AC and is for the Apex quad

With the MK pipe the AC bolt on nerf bars also fit w/o any mods..

They make some nice blk nerfs that would look great!!!!

Makes me want to redo our whole color scheme to all black with blk wheels...mean.....maybe the Punisher skull for graphics?