PDA

View Full Version : Yukon, Baldwin, or Cryo-ed Stock Gears??

bushwesl
08-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm in the process of building a big bore motor and would like to know which of the three listed tranny's is the best option to go with. Also, if I end up going with the cryo-ed stock gears, is there any other parts of the tranny to have done? And also, where could this be done at in Michigan?

zedicus00
08-16-2007, 01:39 PM
i believe baldwin resales the yukon gear kits. back in the day thouse kits were like 999$ a set. i paid around 700$ for my first set i think. now they can be had for about 400$ but you hav to remember its not a full tranny, only a set of the most commonly broken gears.

if your buying a new complete tranny i would buy a new stocker and hav it cryoed.

if you hav a tranny to use already maybe buy the yukon kit to replace what you have and hav the whole thing cryoed for extra insurance.

zedicus00
08-16-2007, 01:43 PM
note on cryoing while im thinking about it.

CRYO EVERYTHING. gears, bearings, washers bolts nuts pistons rings top ends gaskets rods cranks. the more the better.

i use www.onecryo.com good quality and service and they know what they are doing. unlike some of thouse fly by night shops that just liquid nitrogen dip stuff and do more harm then good.

RichM1983
08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Could someone who has access to liquid nitrogen could they cryo their own gears or is there special process for sure?

zedicus00
08-16-2007, 08:43 PM
the process these places use is slowly chilling the metal down to the correct temp. liquid nitrogen dunking will cry the parts but it shocks the metal and makes it brittle.

86 Quad R
08-20-2007, 06:37 AM
zed is correct. there is a special process and it requires that the metal be slowly carried to the sub freezing temps. i've had this done in the past on trannies and it works very well and to top it off doesnt cost much at all.

as mentioned i would as many parts done as possible especially all the trannies hard parts and also all gears on the clutch side.

bushwesl
09-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Anybody know of anyone that does this service in MI (cryo-ing, that is)? Also, if I could find a place to take my entire assembled engine to, I should let them do the whole thing, is that what you're trying to say?

trailwart
09-08-2007, 06:14 PM
jas250r had all his done, i think its called cryo1 or somthing. he sent his motors in pieces, not assembled. i think its around 100 for everything. pm him he should give ya the details.