PDA

View Full Version : Timing

BasSTiD
08-16-2007, 10:35 AM
I screwed up when i marked the timing when i disassembled my motor, Any one have guide or something to line up the timing correctly. I usually work on everything except the motor... so i don't really have any experience on how to line up the cam timing.

00.400ex#55
08-16-2007, 10:43 AM
get the piston at tdc by using the little sight hole on the left case cover and find the tdc mark. its a little t with a line beside it. the cam gear has 3 lines on it. two of them should be allinged with the top of the head and the other pointing straight up. if thats all corect your timing will be spot on. oh and dont forget to have the cam lobes pointing down.

08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by BasSTiD
I screwed up when i marked the timing when i disassembled my motor, Any one have guide or something to line up the timing correctly. I usually work on everything except the motor... so i don't really have any experience on how to line up the cam timing.

My brother screwed up his whole motor with the cam timing and what not. I just have to ask, you have the stock rear 400ex shock revalved and resprung? How do you like it? Is it that much better or does it compare with aftermarket?

BasSTiD
08-16-2007, 10:51 AM
I actually don't have the rear resprung... but the front did make a little difference. I had it revalved as a temporary solution until i get a set of aftermarket shocks. If i woulda kept it not revalved then my quad sat too low.

08-16-2007, 10:52 AM
So having it revalved didnt make much of a difference. Everyone is telling me a stock revalve and resprung will be just as good if not better than aftermarket but I cant see that being true.

Def-e-nition
08-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
So having it revalved didnt make much of a difference. Everyone is telling me a stock revalve and resprung will be just as good if not better than aftermarket but I cant see that being true.

I must just say that I had a set of 450 fronts re-valved and re-sprung , as per pappy's recommendations .
Apart from the fact that they are not $700 , or whatever aftermarkets cost , I must tell you that , when done properly and according to your weight , they are a MAJOR improvemnt over stockers . The stock 400 shocks are really not sprung too bad for heavy rough terrain , but you miss the adjustability of the 450 shocks . Once the 450 shocks are tweaked , you will not be sorry . I still get major blisters after 4 hours or more in the saddle during an event on my Thumbs , but this is simply beacause I went and ran spacers instead of the correct method of +2" Arms , something of a luxury this side of the atlantic .This meant that the steering was far more easily affected by the terrain because of the incorrect offset ..
Anyhow , Im dawdling off-topic. Revalved , resprung , i have to give that mod the thumbs up .

08-16-2007, 02:05 PM
I just dont feel the 400ex rear shock hs the potential that aftermarket have. I have experienced the Works lower end rear suspension an I experienced obviously my stock suspension and the Works feels amazing. I just doubt that a stock revalved and resprung will feel the same.