PDA

View Full Version : may buy used, what to look for??

whc
08-16-2007, 10:00 AM
am looking at a kfx400 2004, was wondering if there are any know problems to watch for. Thank Mild Bill

jonboy
08-16-2007, 03:18 PM
In my opinion the 04 model had fewer problems than the rest. early 03 model had the thin wall tubing that made them prone to cracking and breaking. 04 is when they gave it a removable grab bar. 05 had the recall on the mag. clutch cover. although 05 did get better shocks up front and a bigger carb but only by 1mm. I say the most you should look for is paint chipped away around the welds which is a sign of stress on the frame check for cracks and broken welds. Also listen to the engine for hard starting which is an indication of possibly needing valve re-shimming listen for knocking or timing chain slap(you'll will notice the difference) Rock the axle and check for bearing play and check the balljoints and tie rod ends. Pretty much do a full systems check on it to see if it is going to be worth your money. I'm sure there are areas I missed but thats what the other forum members are here for.:D

jherbie28
09-02-2007, 08:13 PM
i got one for sale:D full mx bike if your interested its in the atvs for sale, 05 pep/houser kfx