PDA

View Full Version : Tire sizes

Lowcountrydave
08-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I was wondering why some quads have larger front diameter tires compared to the rear (like my 400). Does it have anything to do with handling? Smaller rear tires for more power/torque gains?

Thanks Dave

GraphicDisorder
08-16-2007, 04:47 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm

You can use that to see difference by changing tire sizes.

blasterandy
08-16-2007, 05:26 AM
smaller rear=more power

Larger rear=more speed

Lowcountrydave
08-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the replys guys

08-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I could play with that calculator all day haha its awesome and very accurate. I think the rev limiter on the 400ex is 9k RPM and to me 20" tires would be best for anything balanced mix of top speed and acceleration. Starts playing with it and see how gear speed changes. Are the sprocket number of teeth stock when you 1st open it?

gcart2
08-17-2007, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by blasterandy
smaller rear=more power

Larger rear=more speed
true but if your rear tires are too big like 22's it will take all day to get to full speed.
basically... 18's are for mx and 20's are for all else including dragging.

CarGuy7a
08-17-2007, 10:46 AM
yup changing the rear tire size theoreticly has the same effect as changing the front sprocket.

shorter tire = more acceleration less top speed
taller tire = less acceleration more top speed

that's why top fuel dragsters run such a tall arse tire on the rear because they have enough horsepower to not even worry about losing take off power they want the huge top speed.

that's why when i bought aftermarket tires and wheels i just stuck with the stock sizes because it ran good enough with the same size tires. plus i do mostly trail riding so i didn't want to sacrifice a whole lot of ground clearance getting shorter tires.