PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex vs. raptor 660r

jhall12
08-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I have a 400ex with a full hmf exhaust and my neighbor has a raptor 660r. Everytime we race he beats me by about a quad length at the most sometimes less. What are some suggestions with what i can do to my quad so that i can beat him just about every time?

08-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Do you have a K&N? Also sprokets can make you go faster.

jhall12
08-15-2007, 08:39 PM
no i dont but my friend told me to do that and i wasnt sure whether or not i should

Sparky_20
08-15-2007, 08:46 PM
try a hotcam stage 2

08-15-2007, 08:52 PM
well for something to add that doesnt require opening your engine would be the K&N and just rejet it

Wheelie
08-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Poke and stroke it.:macho

EX LONERIDER
08-15-2007, 09:46 PM
honestly, for the cheapest and most effective mod, do a sparks ignition key... definately will get you the holeshot alot faster. when i raced my buddy on his 660 rappy, he had a full exhaust with a K&N. i had a full exhaust system, K&N, and the sparks key... i could beat him most of the time cus i could out pull him off the line..... i also had low PSI in the back tires to hook up better too.

drop a tooth on your counter sprocket and you'll go through the gears faster but, you'll pull away faster.

honda300EXtreme
08-15-2007, 09:55 PM
to beat him i would get a good filter, and rejet it... if your still on stock tires i would consider some 20'' because 22's kill acceleration...

then you can play with some gearing you could go up one tooth up front... or down 2 in the rear (slightly lower gearing),

then i would consider an aftermarket cdi, and the sparks ignition key..

beyond that i would get a good cam and maybe a 450r carb,

Wheelie
08-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme

then you can play with some gearing you could go up one tooth up front... or down 2 in the rear (slightly lower gearing),

then i would consider an aftermarket cdi

A CDI is a waste of money on a stock engine. Going larger on the front sprocket and smaller on the rear is actually gearing UP not down.

Def-e-nition
08-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Buy a 700 Raptor ...

You going to throw Plenty at a Trx before you start making a dent in a 660cc Motor , trust me .If not , then trust Gpracer 2500 .

That motor has so much low down torque it's not even remotely Funny .
And if outright dragging is all you're after , to qualify your bike as being somehow "superior " , may I suggest then , lending somebodies 'shee instead ?

That should straighten out all the kinks in his armour .

I would not bother myself too much in winning what amounts to a David vs Goliath scenario . To do it - be prepared to dig deeeep into your pockets ....

yamablue419
08-16-2007, 10:12 AM
dont get a k&n they are **** and i had to rebuild my whole carb cuz of it. there fine for the street and stuff but they let way to much dust through. foam is the best becuase they catch all of the dust

08-16-2007, 10:32 AM
did you have the outerwears on it?

honda300EXtreme
08-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie
A CDI is a waste of money on a stock engine. Going larger on the front sprocket and smaller on the rear is actually gearing UP not down.

agreed a cdi is a waste on a STOCK engine,

yes i know that is gearing up, what i said was:

you can go 1 up on the front,
or you can go down 2 on the rear

going down 2 in the rear is slightly lower gearing then going up 1 on the front...

gcart2
08-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
did you have the outerwears on it?

dont start this! u may like them he obvously does not. i dont like them. it is the reason i blew up my motor. dont start with "aww k&n idnt do it ur bad maintnance did.... bs" now some ppl get lucky(anothe opinion) and hjave great 1's.

Got Boost
08-16-2007, 02:05 PM
for drag racing, you would want ot drop a tooth up front, don't bother with the back, my 440 will run with a piped and cam 686, I have 20" rear's and 13 tooth front sprocket, it is all in tuning, rider skill, and weight of rider, 660's have alot of tourque, but the weigh a ton, and until you mod them up, they aren't real quick.

08-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
dont start this! u may like them he obvously does not. i dont like them. it is the reason i blew up my motor. dont start with "aww k&n idnt do it ur bad maintnance did.... bs" now some ppl get lucky(anothe opinion) and hjave great 1's.

I'm not trying to start anything but yes what you have or do depends on the outcome. Open air box lid with a K&N and no outerwears is asking for trouble. If you do not have an outerwears then yes you are letting a lot in. And if you run open airbox lid you should get the outerwears airbox cover. Doing that you will have no problems at all.

CarGuy7a
08-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by jhall12
I have a 400ex with a full hmf exhaust and my neighbor has a raptor 660r. Everytime we race he beats me by about a quad length at the most sometimes less. What are some suggestions with what i can do to my quad so that i can beat him just about every time?

take him down through the woods. my buddy has a 660 and we smoke him all the time in the woods.

gcart2
08-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I'm not trying to start anything but yes what you have or do depends on the outcome. Open air box lid with a K&N and no outerwears is asking for trouble. If you do not have an outerwears then yes you are letting a lot in. And if you run open airbox lid you should get the outerwears airbox cover. Doing that you will have no problems at all.

Just remember u started it..
i had to k&n's. kept 1 in my bag with a bottle of filter oil. ran a closed airbox with no outer wear. i would ride 1 ay change my filter for the next. the filter stopped little sand/dirt/dust. when i noticed the little build up on the filter i just say "eh.... closed air box lid.. makes since" well 1 day i was ridin hard and sur enough there the motor goes! now i have a foam. run 2 like before with no out wears. stops everything.

Heres another thing.... why buy a filter for your filter?? i mean why dont u just buy 1 good foam filter. foams let threw plent of air. belive me there is not a "big" differance. i want to c a test of a foam vs a k&n with outerwears on same bike on dyno. the out wear and k&n can not be but a little better.... if any. id rather loose a little power than loose my motor... again.

Recently tore down my motor after about 4.5months riding. everything looked perfect. no wear and tear like what would happen with k&n.

In conclusion, K&n sucks literally and sarcastically.

jhall12
08-16-2007, 08:57 PM
So this sparks ignition key sounds like a good and easy upgrade...only $20. I dont exactly understand it fully, how exactly does it help?

honda300EXtreme
08-16-2007, 09:14 PM
So this sparks ignition key sounds like a good and easy upgrade...only $20. I dont exactly understand it fully, how exactly does it help?

it helps because it advances the timing 6 degrees,

the sparks key is a great mod for the price,, but its not a good idea to use it with any other engine mods.. (suc h as cams & hgh compression piston)

its on sparks website if you wana check it out...

08-16-2007, 09:16 PM
advanced auto parts did a test on k&n vs regular foam. You insert 1 filter and watch the ping pong ball float. Foam made it just hover a little and then with the K&N it made it go up to the top.

idro
08-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Beat it? You're already beating it. 400vs.660r and he has a length on you? that's pretty good imo. What is it like in the trails? My 400 fares pretty good against those beefy top end quads pretty good.

I'm sure you're talkin about drag, I didn't read the whole thread.

jhall12
08-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Ya i was talking about drag, but on trails i could def. beat out my neighbors 660 the handle on the 400ex is excellent. It makes me mad tho that he beats me in drags and brags even tho he has a 660 and i have a 400=P

idro
08-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Ya i was talking about drag, but on trails i could def. beat out my neighbors 660 the handle on the 400ex is excellent. It makes me mad tho that he beats me in drags and brags even tho he has a 660 and i have a 400=P

Then when he starts braggin just make him out to be an idiot. He's stating the obvious. He paid more, and has a bigger motor. No crap its going to be faster in the straights...