PDA

View Full Version : Raptor not a trail quad?

bkquill
08-15-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm in the market for a new quad, so I went up to the local dealer and was talking to the salesman and he said that the Raptor wasn't a very good trail bike, WTF?

He said it was too much bike for what we have around here (upstate of SC), and that I would be better off with a 450R. Needless to say that this was the total opposite of everything that I have heard or read about the Raptor.

Am I correct in my thinking that this guy was a little off his rocker?

Cheers,
Brian

yAmAhA-rIdEr155
08-15-2007, 08:44 PM
yea they r good trail atv's, in my opinion tha 450r is tha fastest atv stock u can buy, tha compression is 12.0to1 adn on top of tht it doesnt have reverse

raptor
tht guy is jus tryin to make money

honda300EXtreme
08-15-2007, 08:57 PM
a raptor is a decent trail bike, they are a bit top heavy and the gearing is a little to tall for my likeing.

thats my 0.02

08-16-2007, 12:28 AM
the 700 is a perfect trail quad sounds like he just wanted to unload a 450 to me.

bkquill
08-16-2007, 05:29 AM
I pretty much thought he was trying to unload some 450's myself. He said the Raptor is a great dune bike, but not good on the trails. I'm glad that you guys confirmed my thoughts. Thanks!!

Krandall
08-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by bkquill
I pretty much thought he was trying to unload some 450's myself. He said the Raptor is a great dune bike, but not good on the trails. I'm glad that you guys confirmed my thoughts. Thanks!!

wow.. I think that guy is wack :eek: the rappy is a great trail bike, the low end torque certainly helps it out to do such a great job.. the 700's arent' top heavy at all you can throw the weight around pretty good. they are a lot better than the 05's and previous 660's for sure!! You can't go wrong w/ the 700 mate!

-Randy

www.raptorforum.com

Honda10
08-16-2007, 03:53 PM
that guy must have been on something, beacause a 450 needs to be reved high, since its a race quad, and u have space to do that on a track, but through the windy trails u dont. Compared to the 450 the raptor is definetly a way better trail quad.

08-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey bkquill come over to www.raptorforum.com bunch of great guys over there check it out.

QuadManiac
08-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Here are the FACTS that you can tell your riding 'friends':

The Raptor was designed as a TRAIL quad. It has a relatively long stroke engine, designed for high torque at low RPM, so you can ride in one gear and concentrate on making course decisions on the fly. It doesn't rev as high because of this, but the torque is huge compared to most other quads.

All of the 450 class machines were designed to be RACE quads. They all have short stroke engines that have little low end torque. They rev a lot higher, and since horsepower is torque TIMES rpm, when they get up in the R's they have as much power as the Rappy, or in some cases slightly more. The downside to this is that when they need power NOW, they need to be in the correct gear to be up in the rpm's. They need to shift a lot to stay there.

You, on the Rappy, can just punch it and use that low end torque to do the job... your shift foot and clutch hand stays calm, collected and very happy... They're feeling like they're left foot and hand are going to fall off.

Thats it! Enjoy your Rappy, DESIGNED for your trailing comfort while still hauling A**.

Krandall
08-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by QuadManiac
Here are the FACTS that you can tell your riding 'friends':

The Raptor was designed as a TRAIL quad. It has a relatively long stroke engine, designed for high torque at low RPM, so you can ride in one gear and concentrate on making course decisions on the fly. It doesn't rev as high because of this, but the torque is huge compared to most other quads.

All of the 450 class machines were designed to be RACE quads. They all have short stroke engines that have little low end torque. They rev a lot higher, and since horsepower is torque TIMES rpm, when they get up in the R's they have as much power as the Rappy, or in some cases slightly more. The downside to this is that when they need power NOW, they need to be in the correct gear to be up in the rpm's. They need to shift a lot to stay there.

You, on the Rappy, can just punch it and use that low end torque to do the job... your shift foot and clutch hand stays calm, collected and very happy... They're feeling like they're left foot and hand are going to fall off.

Thats it! Enjoy your Rappy, DESIGNED for your trailing comfort while still hauling A**.

:eek2: WELL SAID!