PDA

View Full Version : What oil?

cthomps07
08-15-2007, 07:24 PM
My new 450 will be here soon and I am trying to get a little info on certain things I need to maintain it. Big question is what oil and filters do you guys run in yours? I will be using 20w50 during summer and 10w40 for winter but I am just wondering what brands everyone likes. Thanks

Flyin-Low
08-15-2007, 07:37 PM
I just run 10w 40 or 15w 40 all year round in the engine, usually the Honda stuff with Moly additive. And Bell Ray Gear Saver 80w oil in the transmission.

-Martin

cthomps07
08-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah I was thinking about just running the honda oil. Everything I have ever had I have done that. I am kinda new to sport wheelers. I have rode alot of them but only owned one. I have been a sledder for 7 years though so Im not new to the whole deal. How often are you changing oil in these? I was told it needs to be quite often.

Flyin-Low
08-15-2007, 09:11 PM
I ride pretty much everyday when my collar bone isn't broken haha.. and change the oil every week when I can, longest I leave it is two weeks.

I change the transmission oil every other time I change the engine oil. And usually change the filter every time.

These engines hold VERY little oil and that's part of the reason they need to be changed so often.

-Martin

klutchbuster250
08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
can i run 10w-30 in my 250ex?

cthomps07
08-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
I ride pretty much everyday when my collar bone isn't broken haha.. and change the oil every week when I can, longest I leave it is two weeks.

I change the transmission oil every other time I change the engine oil. And usually change the filter every time.

These engines hold VERY little oil and that's part of the reason they need to be changed so often.

-Martin

I plan on doing similar as I ride everyday. Isnt it around every 15hrs they want the oil changed? What kind of oil are you using from honda I see they have a couple different ones HP4 and HP4M is what I see right here in rockymt. Have you ever used their HP transmission oil?