PDA

View Full Version : Never get a credit card

Scro
08-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Especially from the big companies...they are nothing but thieves!! In order to buy a camera for my girlfriend for Christmas, I got an Office Depot credit card. Since then I have been making the regular payments, which I setup to have it payed off in 6 months. Keep in mind the card was interest free for 6 months.

I was making the payments through their website. Well, 7 months later, I get a bill from Office Depot saying they haven't recieved a payment yet, and the 22% interest rate took effect a month ago, Making my bill $75 more than it was before.

I check the status of my account online, and low and behold, all my payments were reversed the same day for reasons that I'm unaware of - and it wasn't cause the money wasn't in my checking account.

Why couldn't they send me a statement before the 6 month interest free period was expired? Because they are greedy thieves that will screw you out of money any way they can!

Moral of the story: Credit cards are the devil - don't ever get one.

2nd moral of the story: Don't be buying *****es expensive cameras:eek2:

chris46250r
08-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Did you not notice that this money was still in your checking account?

Scro
08-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Did you not notice that this money was still in your checking account?

I should have, but I'm not the accounting type. I guess it is partly my fault, but they still should have sent me some kind of statement.

I'm not mad that they charged me, I'm mad that they didn't even attempt to contact me when 6 payments didn't go through.

gbcap
08-15-2007, 11:32 AM
it is ****ty they didn't contact you...but you didn't check to see if the money was gone either. i wouldn't blame them at all. maybe when you did the online payment thing it flipped a switch in thier system that said you didn't want a paper bill every month.

CC companies are in it to make money too. you signed up for thier terms, why complain when they only do what they said they were going to do in the first place?? you can always call and talk to them about what happend. on a first time occurance they normally are pretty good about working with ya to resolve the issue.

chris46250r
08-15-2007, 11:32 AM
I agree with thinking they should have got with you somehow. I bet now with the 22% in effect they will let you know you are late with payment.

Scro
08-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by gbcap
it is ****ty they didn't contact you...but you didn't check to see if the money was gone either. i wouldn't blame them at all. maybe when you did the online payment thing it flipped a switch in thier system that said you didn't want a paper bill every month.

CC companies are in it to make money too. you signed up for thier terms, why complain when they only do what they said they were going to do in the first place?? you can always call and talk to them about what happend. on a first time occurance they normally are pretty good about working with ya to resolve the issue.

Yeah, you're right. I'm giving them a call today after work. Do you think there is any chance that they will waiver the interest fees, when it is clear from their records that I have been attempting payments?

chris46250r
08-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Do you at least still have the girlfriend and/or camera? I've had a few GF's that didnt last as long as the payments. Fricking gold diggers!!! It's all prostitution no matter how you look at it. You gotta spend some to get some.:devil:

mineralgrey01gt
08-15-2007, 11:53 AM
thats a big reason why i do not pay over the internet. Something always gets messed up

Scro
08-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Do you at least still have the girlfriend and/or camera? I've had a few GF's that didnt last as long as the payments. Fricking gold diggers!!! It's all prostitution no matter how you look at it. You gotta spend some to get some.:devil:

Girlfriend is gone with camera in her hands, but the benefits are still intact;)

tim colston
08-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
thats a big reason why i do not pay over the internet. Something always gets messed up

95% of my transactions are internet. I don't write checks anymore. Better get used to it, soon we will be a cashless society. I do all my banking through National City Bank. They have a great system, and it is free.

I hate that the cc company or office depot got you. That is all accrued (sp) intrest. They are hoping that you don't pay it off because everything you have financed under that 6 month intrest "free" agreement, all 6 months of that intrest will be tacked on and an unfair rate will be applied if the card isn't paid off in full. Just pay it off ASAP

mineralgrey01gt
08-15-2007, 12:19 PM
if a cashless society comes it will be after my time. Im not looking for that to happen anytime soon.

It sucks that you got ripped off. Office Depot is famous for doing that stuff. Happened with me on my laptop from them on their card. I didnt recieve a bill for 5 months on mine

gbcap
08-15-2007, 01:05 PM
they aren't going to send you a bill if thier isn't anything to pay either.

if you signed an interest free payment free thing for 6 months they might just let you take care of making payments.

it can't hurt to call them on the payments. have printed out records that you tried tomake payments and don't take no for an answer. most big companies won't allow thier employees to hang up on you so just keep asking for the boss till you get the answer you want.

Villageidiott83
08-15-2007, 01:49 PM
It almost seems illegal but its not. credit card companies including banks are set up so that when you f up just alittle you pay out the pooper. im sure everyone on here knows what happens when you over draw your account. corporate banks are worse, fines can excede 60 bucks. And even when you try to make double payments on credit cards you end up hurting your credit score more. its all set up so you spend the money and pay it off longer hence keeping the card longer and paying more interest. it kinda makes ya feel like you want to walk into the CEOs office and choke the life outta him..

chris46250r
08-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Girlfriend is gone with camera in her hands, but the benefits are still intact;)

Money well spent then! Just politely explain to her that she needs to up the benefits by 22% and everything will be good. Good luck with that also.:D

Scro
08-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Money well spent then! Just politely explain to her that she needs to up the benefits by 22% and everything will be good. Good luck with that also.:D

LMAO! I hear ya!

Raptor68
08-15-2007, 02:31 PM
It's all about being responsible with your credit cards and using them wisely on stuff you can afford. I started using my Visa about 5 years ago and started with a credit limit of 6K. I have paid it in full every month and have never missed a payment or been late and now the credit limit is at $12,800. Plus my credit score is now close to 800. Credit cards are good to use as long as you are careful with them. It sounds like they kinda screwed you Scro, but i'd just explain to them what happened.

I also got the Yamaha card in '03 when I bought my Raptor. They were offering the $0 down, 0% interest, 0 payments for 6 months. I paid it at the end of the 6 months and had no issues. It's a good way to build your credit.

mephyst
08-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Yup... I agree with Raptor68. I'm 19 now and just got my credit score checked. 723. Not too bad... haha.

I just got my 3rd credit card... I use them all every month and pay them all off in full. I pay all of my bills online and it is so much easier to manage. I use my credit card for nearly everything... even some Taco Bell or other fast foods. I am trying to get my credit as high as possible so in about a year I can purchase a new BMW that I want all on my own. =]

MOFO
08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
We've used the interest free route at many places (best buy, circuit city..etc) to purchase large items with the idea of not using our money - it gets placed where it works for us (investments).

When you go that route, I would highly suggest that you NEVER plan on paying it off "just in time". We always pay them off well before the interest would kick in. I would also recommend you pay them online and get a statement showing your payment. Keep in mind, if its interest free for 2 years, and you do not have it paid off in time, all of the interest you did not pay for the 2 years now gets applied to your balance!

If you use it correctly, it can work in your favor - if you make a mistake, its costly!

MOFO
08-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by tim colston
I don't write checks anymore. Better get used to it, soon we will be a cashless society.

I'm in the industry - we wont see a cashless society for a VERY long time - TRUST ME.

08-15-2007, 07:31 PM
yep if you use credit cards wisely, its like getting discounts on things that you're gonna buy anyway. with all the miles and such. i purposely use cards when i have the cash in my pocket. i just pay it in full at the end of the month and reap the benefits. it takes restraint, but if you have it, getting a free flight or hotel stays every so often, because i made purchases i needed too anyway is way sweet!!