PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Engine builders/porters?

honda182
08-14-2007, 10:25 PM
I have a Ct 350 powervalve with low end porting I want more? I want to port the cylinder more for a mid to top end if not full drag porting. I figure If I drag port it the powervalve will smooth the hit and make it more ridable. I want this thing to be a rocket. Who does good porting in Arizona. I have a 39 pwk and cpi bigbore topend pipe. Also I am curios what do they do when they shave the head? what does this do? thanks

250r4life
08-15-2007, 01:46 AM
where abouts in AZ are you at? who have you considered?

have you considered sending it off?

juanki
08-15-2007, 01:09 PM
there are some guys on here from tucson, they do custom bikes, but not shure if they do this job or knoe somebody that can do it.

these guys are R3CONCEPTSor something like this

Hondarluvr
08-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Check out custom cycles on country club in mesa they do awesome work! I forget the guys name I think it starts with a D anyway he knows the R inside and out and does Awesome engine work! either that or ship it to C-leigh racing pm me if you want more info.

250r4life
08-15-2007, 02:27 PM
I wouldnt go to Custom if I was you... Gary is a super cool and nice guy, and he knows his stuff, but the problem is he is working the front desk and doesnt touch the bikes...

back in the day when Wayne owned it they did good work on R's... now that Gary owns it, I have not been impressed with their work...

starts with a D? Danny, one of their mechanics, hasnt been with Custom for several years now... he left or was let go 3 or 4 years ago at least, and went and worked for some fab place... about a year ago he went and worked for Black Widow Motorsports, but that place was a joke and was only open for a few months... he still works out of his house on the side i beleive, but i dont know how to get a hold of him... i couldnt tell ya either way of the quality of his work...

the mechanic at custom now that works the 2 strokes is named Kurt- and i wouldnt take my stuff to him...

Rush Powersports is absolutely horrible- i've seen cylinders that he had "ported" that looked like you gave a dremil tool to my nephew and said "have at it..." i could have thrown a cylinder into my dryer with different bits and dremmel tools and got a better port job from out of that...

MC cycles on Main is a joke with the new owners... that would probably be the worst you could go out of the 3 already mentioned...

if i were to go to anybody in Mesa it would be Kenz Cycle tech by far... i try and do all my own work, but if i was going to take it to somebody it would be him...

sending if off to C-Leigh may be your best bet...

Hoppedrap
08-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Paulbuilt 623-772-1018 Expensive, drag motors are his specialty

Halls Precision 623-931-8132 expensive as well but quality work.

Both start @ $500.00 or so for porting and head mods. Have you used the CPI pipe yet?

honda182
08-16-2007, 10:39 PM
The two shops I was leaning towards were kenz and custom cycle. I am leaning more towards kenz now. Were is paulbuilt and halls located at? If they do better work I would be willing to drive a ways. I am in Gilbert. If any of you guys have had any experience with them I would like to know. I know that a good port job can make a huge difference in power.

I was thinking maybe I will just send it to c leigh, I have never heard a bad thing about him. The only hasle is that it is so far away and I want it now but I would rather have a good job. what is c leigh phone number may be I will give em a call?

Yes I have tried the cpi pipe and it made a little bit of a difference in the way my bike performed but I think the port job is holding it back right now and the low end port job is fighting with the mid to top end pipe. So I think when I get the mid to top port job they will compliment each other.

If any of you have had experiences with any of these shops I would like to know about them good or bad. this will help me make my decision. thanks for the comments so far.

gojk
08-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by honda182
The two shops I was leaning towards were kenz and custom cycle. I am leaning more towards kenz now. Were is paulbuilt and halls located at? If they do better work I would be willing to drive a ways. I am in Gilbert. If any of you guys have had any experience with them I would like to know. I know that a good port job can make a huge difference in power.

I was thinking maybe I will just send it to c leigh, I have never heard a bad thing about him. The only hasle is that it is so far away and I want it now but I would rather have a good job. what is c leigh phone number may be I will give em a call?

Yes I have tried the cpi pipe and it made a little bit of a difference in the way my bike performed but I think the port job is holding it back right now and the low end port job is fighting with the mid to top end pipe. So I think when I get the mid to top port job they will compliment each other.

If any of you have had experiences with any of these shops I would like to know about them good or bad. this will help me make my decision. thanks for the comments so far.

Ken usually does good work, but I think sometimes he gets caught up working on his own engines and doesn't put the time into customers engines. I have saw a few of his engines that flat out haul, and others that have nothing but problems from day 1.

I also know that you usually get treated like you are bothering the people at Kenz. I easily spent $500 there in one visit, and they guys in there acted like it wasn't worth their time. Needless to say, I would rather not deal with Kenz. But I do know alot of people that swear by Ken. So take my opinion as you please.

My vote, send it to Neil @c-leigh. I plan on sending a cylinder to him very shortly.

250r4life
08-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by gojk
Ken usually does good work, but I think sometimes he gets caught up working on his own engines and doesn't put the time into customers engines. I have saw a few of his engines that flat out haul, and others that have nothing but problems from day 1.

I also know that you usually get treated like you are bothering the people at Kenz. I easily spent $500 there in one visit, and they guys in there acted like it wasn't worth their time. Needless to say, I would rather not deal with Kenz. But I do know alot of people that swear by Ken. So take my opinion as you please.

My vote, send it to Neil @c-leigh. I plan on sending a cylinder to him very shortly.

ha ha ha.... that is Kenz alright... they do good work, but as far as being friendly and outgoing, not the best...

I've sat and shot the shiz with Gary at Custom for a half hour when i stopped by just to buy Oury grips... theyre very friendly, but i dont trust their work...

but i totally know what you mean about Kenz... they dont have much personality down there...

i had Kenz port a cylinder for me, and i was pleased with it...

and when Kenz builds a bike, they call you a weak or two later to make sure everything is running ok, and if its not, bring it in and theyll fix it right away... i dont know any other shops that do follow up checks with ya...

250r4life
08-17-2007, 12:56 AM

any of these shops you send it to here locally are going to have a week or two turn time anyhow, so i dont know how much time difference there would be between here and C-leigh...

i dont have any experience with C-Leigh whatsoever, but I have heard nothing but good about him...

Hoppedrap
08-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Both shops are on the westside of town, Paulbuilt reported my 344PV for more topend and it definately compliments my CPI pipe. Halls built my 250R motor which has been solid. PM for the good and bad

Hondarluvr
08-17-2007, 12:37 PM
I was happy with the work custom did on my R, but it has been a few yrs since I was last there, so things may have changed? but I will say Gary is a cool guy - they were very helpful with my 1st R project. I have heard similar things about kens cycle - poor customer service among other things so I have avoided them. I am in the process of building another R and have talked with Neil from C-Leigh numerous times about doing the port work. Neil knows his stuff and is very good about answering questions. He is who I have decided to go with for this build. I would suggest you narrow it down to a few shops and give them a call, hopefully one will stand out above the others.