PDA

View Full Version : rear shock bucking..?

yellow400ex05
08-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Ok I want to know how I can get my rear shock adjusted on my 400 so it won't bounce my quad's rear end all over the place over whoops, I lean back and pull up the front but it still does it.. Do I need to soften them up? I'm only 100 pounds.

08-14-2007, 08:55 PM
read my aftermarket suspension thread

allstock
08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
did you soften your compression and lower your preload?? also slow down your rebound

08-14-2007, 09:06 PM
well i'm not sure but softening compression to me would mean more bottoming out. I would say slow your rebound? i'm not ure though

mx1791
08-14-2007, 09:09 PM
at 100lbs, he shouldnt have a problem with bottoming out. start with lowering the preload, and adjust the comp/rebound from there

08-14-2007, 09:12 PM
idk about that, I'm 135 and I have bottomed out my suspension several times. It all depends on what you do. I mostly bottom it out over jumps

mx1791
08-14-2007, 09:16 PM
if its bottoming out alot on jumps, it might be time to look into rebuilding or getting a new shock. im 135 with gear and the only problem i have with my rear is it sits pretty high compared to my front. although we do have different bikes so idk what a 400ex shock is like

honda300EXtreme
08-14-2007, 09:17 PM
it sounds to me like you need to slow your rebound a bit,,

allstock
08-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
idk about that, I'm 135 and I have bottomed out my suspension several times. It all depends on what you do. I mostly bottom it out over jumps

if it only bottomed out a couple of times its fine but if it bottoms most of the time when your jumping you must be jumping without a landing or you just have to learn to ride better

08-14-2007, 09:21 PM
or the fact if you jump high enough you will bottom it out. Today I even had a small landing ramp and I bottomed out on this step up type jump

allstock
08-14-2007, 09:27 PM
no offense and sorry yellow400ex05 not tring to steal your thread but FoxHondaRider you gotta learn how to land right if it has a landing ramp that is greater then 15 degrees lol and the launch ramp isnt over 90 degrees you should be frine if you land the right way:rolleyes:

08-14-2007, 09:31 PM
well bein in a state park with all woods doesnt exactly have the tools needed to build ramps or landings. We modify a highbank turn and make another small one and do a little modifying to that for a landing. And I have jumped ramps 90 degrees straight up for about 5 feet and I bottom out on that but not to worry i'm not taking chances like that ever again

dezertfreak
08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
It sounds to me like your shock is "packing up". Packing up means that your shock is not fulling extending before you hit the next whoop. After a half dozen or so whoops, your shock will no longer have any travel left and then your just bouncing off of the bump stop.

Being that you only weigh 100lbs I would lighten the comp, and speed up the rebound.

08-20-2007, 06:26 PM
gt thunder link(or derisi link) and revalve is the best way to do this...it don't matter how you adjust the shock, or attack the jump or woops, this will happen.

dezertfreak
08-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
gt thunder link(or derisi link) and revalve is the best way to do this...it don't matter how you adjust the shock, or attack the jump or woops, this will happen.

so in other words if you dont have the link you cant adjust your shock correctly. get real. yeah the link will help, but not perform magic.

08-22-2007, 09:49 PM
i agree with you that the shock is packing, but it is not the shocks adjustment, it is the positioning of the shock in the frame. the stock linkage sets the travel of the shock too high in the chassis. this is why the shock packs so easily.

some say with proper valving, that it can be overcome also.

it won't totally eliminate the problem, but it helps more than trying to compensate with the stock settings.

cchrider
08-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Actually I've talked to sabastian at elka along with others, I have elka lt front end a a rebuild in the rear with the stock linkage. I still get bucked, wut eliminates the buck is the linkage. Call up GT thunder and as Laz if you would like.

Colby@C&DRacing
08-24-2007, 08:49 AM
I disagree with bucking coming from the linkage. The stock comp adjuster on the 450r shocks is the real problem it has limited flow and cuases the a spike in pressure in the shock that almost locks its stroke, so changing the leverage ratio on the linkage is just masking the real issue. You can revalve the adjustor or replace it with a new high and low speed adjustable one this will truly fix the kicking in the oem 450r shock.

08-24-2007, 01:49 PM
but the point is that in stock form, the bucking can not be eliminated...