PDA

View Full Version : gas pouring out of bottom of carb???

flaneledholes
10-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Hey u guys, I am posting again to a previous thread... When I wheelie gas pours out of the bottom of the carb... There is a little "valve" on the bottom of the carb pointing to the airbox and rear tires, there is not a hose there, but looks as if there should be... Well, when I wheelie it seems as if gas is coming from there... Any help would be appreciated, pictures of this little "valve" would help me alot... Please tell me what could fix this problem...:( :grr

Pappy
10-27-2002, 03:52 PM
i belive it should do this when at an extreme angle...as in wheelies etc. if it doesnt do it on flat ground ...i wouldnt worry about it. the vent hose is cheap and available at honda dealership.

2002_300_EX
10-27-2002, 03:56 PM
Why does it do it in the first place anyways.....When i flip it on its grabbar it leaks all over the damn driveway....but i just shut the gas off...but it still does a little bit...

Pappy
10-27-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 2002_300_EX
Why does it do it in the first place anyways.....When i flip it on its grabbar it leaks all over the damn driveway....but i just shut the gas off...but it still does a little bit...

im sure someone will explain it.....but i think of that kinda stuff as crap i dont worry about....lol:D

Bean
10-27-2002, 04:08 PM
if it didnt drain, it would flood out the carb

flaneledholes
10-27-2002, 04:10 PM
Thanx you guys, It doesnt do it on flat ground, but after I get through riding a wheelie, it is still pouring gas until I turn the gas off... Do you think I could get a hose lying around the house that fits it and put it on there... If I do get a new hose, where am I supposed to run it to??? And do you know which place I am talking about???

optikid123
10-27-2002, 04:43 PM
every quad leaks gas when tilted for a peroid of time it just goes into the floatbowl and drains out the tube i think mine has a hose maybe yours just ripped off but eveything leaks gas when u put it on its grabbar with the gas on

flaneledholes
10-27-2002, 04:55 PM
Ok, sure, it leaks gas while tilted, but when placed flat on the ground and it is still leaking??? What gives?

Live2Ride300
10-27-2002, 05:20 PM
Have you done mods to your carb? Maybe one of the gaskets is worn out in the float bowl and needs to replaced?

flaneledholes
10-27-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
Have you done mods to your carb? Maybe one of the gaskets is worn out in the float bowl and needs to replaced?

Yes, I have only took the bowl off 1 time to re-jet the carb... And the gasket thing, wouldnt it leak before riding wheelies if this is the problem???:confused:

Live2Ride300
10-28-2002, 02:55 PM
Ya your right, it would be leaking all the time if that was the problem. So its fine when you start riding, then after youve done a wheelie, its still leaking after you put down the wheelie? How long does it leak after the wheelie? Does it stop after a while, or does it contiue leaking for a while after the wheelie?

flaneledholes
10-28-2002, 06:24 PM
It still pours gas until I shut the gas off... Then I call it a day and say the **** with it... The next dat when I go to start her up, she is runnin fine adn no gas... So I am like wtf here??...???...:confused:

Live2Ride300
10-28-2002, 06:48 PM
I dont know man, Id say take your carb off and look it over, see if your missing anything, take it apart and make sure everything is right, check all the hoses. I had this problem once on a dirtbike but I dont remember what fixed it, I think it was cuz the floatbowl wasnt adjusted right, but I took the carb all apart, cuz I had to clean it anyway and whatever I did fixed it. Maybe your floatbowl isnt adjusted right is letting in too much gas then that gas has nowhere to go and just drains out. Maybe when you wheelie the float moves back and lets the bowl flood w/ gas and it starts to drain out, but then maybe the float is getting caught on something and lets the bowl continue to flood w/ gas and cause it to drain out? just a guess

cals400ex
10-29-2002, 12:15 AM
my neighbor had the same exact problem with his 2000 400ex. he actually took his to the dealer and they fixed it. the dealer told us that they redid the float for 2002 to fix this problem because some other people had the same problem. they just put in a float for a 2002 in his quad and it works great now. ask your dealer about this and see what they say. you may just be able to get this float and fix the problem also.

flaneledholes
10-29-2002, 06:16 AM
Thax you guys for all your help... I will keep this post here and I will take it to a dealer if the problem persists... Well, keep those good guesses coming, haha..

MSL
10-29-2002, 06:20 AM
it does sound like a problem with the float

fuddrucker
10-29-2002, 06:40 AM
When you tilt the quad back like when doing a wheelie, or standing it up on the grab bar, gas is supposed to come out. That's the reason the hose is there. When you crash and roll the quad, or lay it down on it's side, the fuel from the carb will run through the hose and be led away from the hot engine and not ignite. There should be two hoses, one for the overflow, and another for the bowl drain (the little screw that you turn to drain the fuel from the bowl when you are going to store the quad for a while.)

As long as you turn off the fuel BEFORE you stand it up on it's grab bar only what is in the bowl will come out and then stop. If you turn off the fuel AFTER you tilt it up, then it will take longer for it to stop leaking out. There is more fuel in the bowl than one would think. It will take a minute or two to completley stop.

If the float was bad, then it would be leaking out all the time when flat and at a pretty good rate.

HTH.

cals400ex
10-29-2002, 11:37 PM
but i don't think the gas is suppose to pour out like it does. my friend had the same problem. we experimented with mine and his and yes gas will come out of the hose but when mine is standing on the grab bar it just drips out, his would leave a puddle in matter of seconds. he took it in to the shop and they said he did have a problem and they fixed it. also when he would go up steep hills the bike would die sometimes because gas was coming out of that hose instead of going through the carb. who knows

Castor-426ex
10-29-2002, 11:57 PM
drink it...dont waste gas you know how much that crap is a gallon?

flaneledholes
10-30-2002, 06:02 PM
Bump...:) ;)

josh
10-30-2002, 09:08 PM
i would have had to type alot like fuddrucker, but he layed it out on the line perfectly for ya, so i don't have to say much besides i agree with him and i would put a hose on it that follows somewere by the rear shock away from the chain onto the skid plate, there should be little hooks or something that you put all the hoses through, at least there are on my 250x, but ya, any little rubber hose will work, it should reach down by the middle or bottom of the rear shock, i think, not exactly sure on the 400 but that little hose you see hangin on by the rear shock on all the dirtbikes, that's what it is