PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Bike Kill Switch

MO-EX-RIDER
08-14-2007, 06:39 PM
who's using one as a starter button and how do you like it?
which model? is it water proof? go bad often? how'd you wire yours?

thisperishedmin
08-14-2007, 08:59 PM
i have a dirtbike kill wired in as the starter button, but i didnt do it and cant tell you anything about it.

I just know i like it and its working great.

hope its of SOME help somehow or other :)

GOTFEAR
08-14-2007, 09:42 PM
one of my buddys got one off a rm125 and used it for start button works good.

QuadManiac
08-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Take the yellow/red wire that comes out of the stock handlebar switch assembly, (you can cut it real close to the assembly) connect it to the wire on the type of kill switch that shorts to bars when you push it. Insulate the connection between the yellow/red and kill swich wires with electrical tape or preferably heat shrink tubing. Mount the kill switch to the bars (make sure theres a clear metal patch, no paint, where the kill switch mount contacts the bars).

With everything else correct, when you push it, the bike starts.

MO-EX-RIDER
08-15-2007, 07:11 PM
^^ cool i have 2 stock switches so im going to tear it apart and keep the 2 wires with the factory plug and discard the rest.

QuadManiac
10-17-2007, 12:19 PM
I made a mistake and need to update my previous answer to this post; I hope it isn't too late.

Just grounding the yellow/red wire will NOT crank the starter over. The Y/R wire needs to be connected (by the push button switch) to the black wire to do this. I made the assumption that the black wire was ground, but it is not. It is 12V switched on by the key switch.

You need to use a kill switch that's normally open (ON when pushed, OFF when not pushed) and has two connections - tie one to the yellow/red wire and the other to the black wire (both wires originally come up to the left handblebar switch cluster). NOW the starter will turn over when you push the button, when all other things are correct also (in neutral or clutch pulled, etc.).

Sorry for the error, hope nobody had problems due to it.

Good Luck!

exrider272
10-17-2007, 01:12 PM
i got one on my 400 just cuz i got aftermarket plastic and no headlights and dont waht that big starter on my bars so i put one on its really nice i love mine

dariusld
10-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by MO-EX-RIDER
go bad often? how'd you wire yours?

I read in another thread that they do.
I also got this in another thread after I wired mine.
"If you never use your 400ex headlights like myself and are tired of hitting the on/off switch by accident and kiling the motor then here's a simple way to get rid of that bulky contraption on your handle bars.

I orderd a dirtbike kill switch to use as a starter button. The process is easy and pain free. You can also use a kill switch off an ATK quad or any dirtbike for that matter.

Remove the entire wiring harness from the quad, at the handlebars, headlight connection and the connector under the fender. This way you can track down all the wires to be sure your getting a correct connection and it's easier work with this way.

Connect the kill switch to the (red/yellow and black) wires that go to the OEM starter button. Cut the wires and connect the new starter button so that your sure you have connected the proper wires. Use good wire connectors so that in wet conditions it doesn't cause ignition problems. There are several black wires in this harness so BE SURE to seperate the proper black wire from the others.

The (green/yellow and Green) wires need to be connected so that you can start your quad in gear, otherwise it has to be in neutral.

The remaining (brown, black/white and black wires) are relays for the headlights and can be taped up and DO NOT need to be connected to anything.

The wires for the headlight connection are of no use so cut them away and set it aside.

Be sure to use black electrical tape and tape the wires and spliced areas back up real good to keep moisture out and consider the job complete.. :xyxthumbs

What once was made to stop a motor is now used to start one"

AtvMxRider
10-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
I read in another thread that they do.
I also got this in another thread after I wired mine.
"If you never use your 400ex headlights like myself and are tired of hitting the on/off switch by accident and kiling the motor then here's a simple way to get rid of that bulky contraption on your handle bars.

I orderd a dirtbike kill switch to use as a starter button. The process is easy and pain free. You can also use a kill switch off an ATK quad or any dirtbike for that matter.

Remove the entire wiring harness from the quad, at the handlebars, headlight connection and the connector under the fender. This way you can track down all the wires to be sure your getting a correct connection and it's easier work with this way.

Connect the kill switch to the (red/yellow and black) wires that go to the OEM starter button. Cut the wires and connect the new starter button so that your sure you have connected the proper wires. Use good wire connectors so that in wet conditions it doesn't cause ignition problems. There are several black wires in this harness so BE SURE to seperate the proper black wire from the others.

The (green/yellow and Green) wires need to be connected so that you can start your quad in gear, otherwise it has to be in neutral.

The remaining (brown, black/white and black wires) are relays for the headlights and can be taped up and DO NOT need to be connected to anything.

The wires for the headlight connection are of no use so cut them away and set it aside.

Be sure to use black electrical tape and tape the wires and spliced areas back up real good to keep moisture out and consider the job complete.. :xyxthumbs

What once was made to stop a motor is now used to start one"

Remove the whole harness to just install a starter button?:huh

dariusld
10-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Remove the whole harness to just install a starter button?:huh

I pretty sure he talking about the wiring in the front of the bike, not " the whole harness". And not just the "starter button", but the kill switch, lights, high beam, and starter buton. Whats that whole thing called?