PDA

View Full Version : How to go from 440 to 400?

ride-to-live
08-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Is there a easy ans cheap way to go from a 440ex to a 400ex? My 440ex just goes through to many gaskets and gets really really hot. Could you just buy a new head and piston, sleeve and all that junk?

Ruby Soho
08-14-2007, 05:51 PM
your gonna need everything new, or used but at the stock size.

you can add a larger oil tank/cooler and put in HD studs in the 440 and it will solve your gasket/heat problem too

Ry007
08-14-2007, 06:03 PM
You can always get a stock size sleeve, even with the overbored cylinder. Call La sleeve. They can make one for you, but I'd just get the HD studs maybe an 11:1 piston and make sure the head isn't warped! don't overtighten! Hope that helps!

honda300EXtreme
08-14-2007, 06:11 PM
yup, if iwwere you i would consider hd studs and a larger oil cooler and that will solve your problems....

ride-to-live
08-14-2007, 06:19 PM
See i have to drill and retap a hole in the head where i believe but dont know yet if the screw is stripped, broken off, or what. But anyway i am going to change gaskets again... soon and check my rings as well as fix the screw problem.... and ill look in to getting hd studs.

MO-EX-RIDER
08-14-2007, 06:48 PM
or buy my stock bore cylinder with a wiesco 10:1 piston that has less than 5 hours on it!

79400ex
08-14-2007, 07:41 PM
I have run a 440 for years. What type of riding of due you do? Is your oil cooler plug? Are you jetted it wright? And what is to hot?
THe only time my 440 got to hot is when I forgot to clean the oiler cooler. I have only blown two head gaskets in 7 years. One as above and the next when we rebuilt the egine and the head studs pulled out. I run them very hard. Your egine is going to give off heat. And if you are complaining about the valve chattering that is normal when they get hot.

ride-to-live
08-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Well i like to Mx and Xr racing, My gasket is blown right now on the thing and i have to keep putting the 10w-40 in there because the oil is spitting out. And could a leaking gasket make your bike smoke any?? Because mine smokes alot when i havent rode it in a few days and i start it and take off but when it gets hot it doesnt smoke to much at all. Im just going to fix the gasket and check the rings, then put fresh oil in and a bigger oil cooler. My bike has air scoops with help alot... i just dont what to get my bike to hot where it will blow... that would suck. The Jetting is right on, no back fire, no delay or anything, and im getting oil from the oil tank because i go through alot of it.

And theres a picture of the 440ex.

JOEX
08-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by ride-to-live
Well i like to Mx and Xr racing, My gasket is blown right now on the thing and i have to keep putting the 10w-40 in there because the oil is spitting out. And could a leaking gasket make your bike smoke any?? Because mine smokes alot when i havent rode it in a few days and i start it and take off but when it gets hot it doesnt smoke to much at all. Im just going to fix the gasket and check the rings, then put fresh oil in and a bigger oil cooler. My bike has air scoops with help alot... i just dont what to get my bike to hot where it will blow... that would suck. The Jetting is right on, no back fire, no delay or anything, and im getting oil from the oil tank because i go through alot of it.

And theres a picture of the 440ex.
May need valve seals and possibly valve guides in addition to the head gasket.

79400ex
08-15-2007, 10:14 AM
If you are riding it with a blown head gasket then you might have a warp head. THis will cause you to keep blowning head gaskets.

gcart2
08-15-2007, 10:20 AM
replace the piston rings. this will cause the oil, to burn. is ur exhaust blue? like 2 strokes exhaust. hd studs are a must for a 440.

ride-to-live
08-15-2007, 01:18 PM
No the Exhaust is aluminam... its a Novleen Hvo "High Volcity OutPut"... i might have hd studs but i dunno how to see if i do..? And the Valve Stuff is right on as well.. i think its the rings...

ride-to-live
08-15-2007, 01:19 PM
The Back