PDA

View Full Version : See if you can figure this one out...

njk4o5
08-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Okay my 250ex is having some serious electrical problems ever since i sunk it.

After i pulled it out of the water, it wouldnt start at all. So i took all the connections off from the battery and cleaned them all up. Reinstalled everything and it started and ran perfect for a day.
The next day when i went to turn it on, when i turned the key, the neutral light blinked and shut off, and it wouldnt even make the noise like it was trying to start.
I did some hunting with the voltmeter and thought it was the starter relay switch (it starts fine if i bypass that by connecting the red wire to the battery directly...). So i bought a new relay switch and it still wont start!!!!! No noise, nothing!

Ive checked my neutral switch, and starter button wires...they all seem to be in good shape. Im totally lost, and im just thinking about buying a D/C switch at the local hardware and just re-wiring a new starter button switch and bypassing that starter relay all together...

Ohh and the neutral light and reverse light does not light up unless the engine is running a tiny bit above idle....NOT at idle, not at wide open...just for about 100rpms above idle...weird

300exOH
08-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Just a thought but have you checked the 2 wires that lead to the right side of the engine to make sure you don't have a short.

njk4o5
08-15-2007, 02:14 PM
wat wires? the neutral and reverse indicators? wat color are they.

300exOH
08-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by njk4o5
wat wires? the neutral and reverse indicators? wat color are they.

Yes the neutral and reverse wires. They could be shorting out the CDI. Not sure of the colors but I think they lead into a small metal cover on the right side of the engine case. I'll try to take a look at mine tomorrow for you to find out the colors. I would check out all other wiring while you're at it, especially those that run the charging/starting system and the CDI. It wouldn't hurt to unplug all your connectors (one at a time) and clean them out with contact cleaner and apply some dielectric grease to all the contacts and re-connect them. You may just have a bad contact in one of the connections after swamping it.

njk4o5
08-15-2007, 11:13 PM
its deffinitly not those indicators...i checked those over and over. Tomorow im just going to buy a new starter switch from a hardware store and mount that up, then completely remove everything on the left bar.

Is it possible to keep it so the machine acts as though the reverse lever is always engaged? is there a little trick to doing that?

250exkid
08-16-2007, 09:27 AM
well for the reverse trick all u do in weld over that red button so its welded down all the time and all you have to do is scweez the handle and step down the shifter.... and my g-pas old honda 250sx three wheeler had that problem he replaced the cyclinoide and it worked fine for a day,,,, then he replaced the battery and it runs fine like with all the electricals hope this helps a little:blah:

300exOH
08-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Don't know why I didn't think of it before but it sounds like your starter solenoid is bad...:o

njk4o5
08-16-2007, 02:46 PM
i got a new starter solenoid, and it still doesnt work, so cant be it.

And im going to take everything off the bars except the throttle and front brake lever.