PDA

View Full Version : serious computer help?!

3exrider23
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
ok my dad today desided he was gonan go on my computer and play around with stuff for the first time ever and desided to download some software that was supposed to help it but instaead scewed it completely up. then without my permission he pretty much rebooted my whole computer. i have everything on my computer and nothing on disk yet. like literally over 1000 photos 50 videos, 5 movies, 500 songs, everything for work, everything i had saved under favorites. is there anyway at all i can get any of these back. i already know it was stupid not saving them on a disk i was getting to it. didnt think this would happen because i am the only one on my computer ever. i will pretty much do anything. thanks

sly400ex
08-14-2007, 04:15 PM
You have a few choices.....can you roll back to an earlier date when it was working fine?

You can always buy a new HDD and build the OS on the new drive, put you're old drive in as a secondary and retrieve your data that way.

Do you have access to another PC?

As long as the drive isn't physically damaged, you can get your data back.

elite ATV1
08-14-2007, 04:16 PM
so he reformated it? is that what your trying to say

Ghost-Rider
08-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Should be able to rollback to an earlier date.

Ralph
08-14-2007, 04:27 PM
if he formated it there are programs that may revive some data

rancherrider69
08-14-2007, 04:28 PM
if he formatted the harddrive i think your sol... but if not then u should be able to get it back

<DRS>GPF
08-14-2007, 06:30 PM
are you sure that youre not running on a new profile and the stuff youre missing is in another profile's 'document folder'?

right-click over the "start" button and select "explore" or "explore all users" and browse each user's "my documents" folders.

3exrider23
08-15-2007, 09:01 AM
im the only user on this computer so its not the last thing. im gonna try going back to a different date. i was told by a few people that he rebooted it? all i know is he did some software scan for viruses and all that after i told him i was fine. then i went to get back on it and it wasnt workign right. i restarted it but then it wouldnt start back up. he called up HP and followed there instructions and i guess it turned out to this. if i got back to a different date and that doesnt work will i be able to get back how it is now like today?

Ghost-Rider
08-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Well if you rollback and it's messed up you can call HP again and reset it again.

3exrider23
08-15-2007, 09:14 AM
also can somebody tell me how i can rollback a few days?

cbrooks118
08-15-2007, 09:17 AM
fo to system tools under the start menu, then to system restore, then pick a day you want to roll back to

Raptor68
08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Click on the "Start" menu button and do a search for System Restore. It should be located in the C:/Documents and Settings folder. The computer automatically creates Save points, so just choose one of these dates to restore your system to. Hopefully it'll fix the problem.

3exrider23
08-15-2007, 10:03 AM
i just got off the phone with HP and they said since the recovery was done yesterday they cant do anything about it really. the furthest they could take me back was yesterday. i think it was because after he did the recovery he pretty much whipped out everything on my computer til after the recorvery was done like today and yesterday.

Ralph
08-15-2007, 11:26 AM
ok well like i said, there is a program that can recover some files and nothing specific off of a wiped out hd. Im gonna look for a minute and see if i cant find it for you

Ralph
08-15-2007, 11:33 AM
I think if he just did a "quick format" you might be lucky and find some of your stuff. Make sure you read this first:

When Undelete Plus saves a restored file it reads its content and then writes it to a new file with the same name. It is recommended that you save the files that you are recovering to another disk because of the risk of overwriting other files that you may be trying to recover with the newly recovered one that you are saving. It would be best not to save the retrieved files back to the same hard drive until after completing all attempts to retrieve any lost files. This will minimize the chance of corrupting any remaining lost files.

http://www.undelete-plus.com/