PDA

View Full Version : Hard to get it into neutral

d3ktrix
08-14-2007, 03:09 PM
For the last month of so my tranny has been stubborn about going into neutral.

Before u could always just give it a half click up and it would fall right in. Now its so hard to click up that most of the time I end up popping it right into second.

When this problem started I was using the Rotella white bottle, I thought that was the cause of it because the tranny was just acting ****ty all around since I started using it. (Would fall into neutral a lot when I didnt want it to and would miss shift a lot)
So I switched to the Belray Gear Saver in the tranny side and it shifts much cleaner now. But it is still very difficult to get it into neutral when you want it to.

Is it a bent shift fork or something?
What do you guys think?

Oil levels are all good, I change the tranny fluid every time I change the engine oil (Every 3-4 rides).

08-14-2007, 03:21 PM
have you tried adjusting your clutch cable?
somehow, i recently had mine too tight and had the exact same problem

d3ktrix
08-14-2007, 03:28 PM
I'll check that, normally its adjusted good but the other day I did notice that the adjuster on my clutch lever wasn't locked tight anymore.

d3ktrix
08-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Wasn't that, clutch is adjusted perfect.

GIXXER1KR
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
If your clutch is decent then check the clutch basket for grooves.If its grooved replace it with a Hinson!!!!

d3ktrix
08-14-2007, 07:07 PM
So it's more likely to be a clutch problem then a tranny problem?

08-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Worn clutch basket. Mine is the same way. If you rev it up a little as you try to find neutral it drops in easier.

GIXXER1KR
08-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Yeah the clutch basket gets grooves on the fingers that the clutch plates get hung up on.U can file them but keep in mind u do weaken the basket.When it gets to hard to find neutral u are better off changing the basket.U dont want it to explode!!!$200 for a baskets can save a ton later...

d3ktrix
08-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Ya I was just looking at the prices on motosport, about $250 for the outer basket and the fibers. lol

If I just take the clutch cover off I should be able to see the enough to see if the basket is grooved right?

The clutches and everything are original and the bike is almost 2 years old with 400+ hours on it.
I just got my new CP 12:1 piston in the mail the other day.
If the basket is grooved I'll probably be doing those the same day :P

GIXXER1KR
08-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Absolutely.Just look at the basket where all the fibers and plates are.i garauntee they are grooved.i have an 06 with 1.5 years on it and when i put in my new clutch they were grooved.It took a few rides on it for it to find neutral easy again.So when i need another clutch or do new engine mods i will be putting in a Hinson (basket only) and oem clutch.Ill use the stock pressure plate.

d3ktrix
08-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Aight I can get the Hinson basket for $207 or the OEM basket for $214.

Why do u recommend the Hinson over the OEM Gixxer? Specific reason?

08-16-2007, 06:58 AM
Go aftermarket.