PDA

View Full Version : All new suspension for brand new 400ex

hungus07trx400
08-14-2007, 02:39 PM
What kind of A-arms, swingarm, shocks, and axle should I get that will all go together nicely for a wider, longer stance? I want to order all of them together. I ride a variety of trails and track, all pretty agressively. I'm 5'10'', 150 lbs, but used to be 210, so I might need to get a beefier set up in case Mcdonalds starts calling my name again....

svahle
08-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Wow, this is a pretty broad question. I'll just list a few brands. There are tons of companies that make all these things. Try some searches. A BIG issue will be how much $$$$ do you want to spend.

A-arms/Swingarms - Houser, Lonestar, Laeger, are just a few that are common and in my opinion good quality. There are many others as well.

Shocks - Axis, PEP, Elka, TCS, Ohlins, are some popular brands. Which is better is up for hot debate. Again there are many others that are very good.

Axles - Lonestar, Team, Durablue, RPM - there are others but this will get you started.

As you might expect, each manufacturer makes entry level and high end products.

In my opinion, anything from the above list will serve you well. Others will probably chime in with their preferences. I certainly did not list all the quality products and didn't intentionally omit any manufacturer.

Just my $.02.

honda300EXtreme
08-14-2007, 06:16 PM
what kind of budget are you on??

mx1791
08-14-2007, 07:06 PM
axis shocks. gibson a arms. rpm dominator axle. and your set

ncsmash
08-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Axis shocks, Walsh A arms and Dominator axel just my .02 a little pricey but well worth it

hungus07trx400
08-14-2007, 08:02 PM
The money I'm not really worried about. I just want to do this right so it comes out the way I see it in my head. What kinds of sizes do you guys think? I want the rear wheels to be pushed back a bit, and Im new to all of this so I don't really know much about the +2. Standard, long travel stuff. I've read a bunch on it but it's hard to picture. I've been perusing this site for like 4 hours a day, and i know that there are a lot of really knowledgeable people out there and Im banking on them knowing better than I. I guess what I'm asking is, if you wanted to have a good MX quad that will still perform on the trails, what would your setups be. Thanks alot to those who replied, and in advance to those who help me out in the future.

-Mike

JOEX
08-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by hungus07trx400
The money I'm not really worried about. I just want to do this right so it comes out the way I see it in my head. What kinds of sizes do you guys think? I want the rear wheels to be pushed back a bit, and Im new to all of this so I don't really know much about the +2. Standard, long travel stuff. I've read a bunch on it but it's hard to picture. I've been perusing this site for like 4 hours a day, and i know that there are a lot of really knowledgeable people out there and Im banking on them knowing better than I. I guess what I'm asking is, if you wanted to have a good MX quad that will still perform on the trails, what would your setups be. Thanks alot to those who replied, and in advance to those who help me out in the future.

-Mike
Why do you want the rear wheels 'pushed back'?

hungus07trx400
08-14-2007, 09:15 PM
I like that kinda of look, plus sometimes when Im riding I feel like Im sitting to "on top of them". Just a personal preference, really.

mx1791
08-14-2007, 09:19 PM
if your going to be riding tracks, a +1 1/4 swing arm is about as extended as you should go, and you really cant tell that its longer then stock

JOEX
08-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by hungus07trx400
I like that kinda of look, plus sometimes when Im riding I feel like Im sitting to "on top of them". Just a personal preference, really.
I'd be more concerned about performance than looks when it comes to suspension, but that's just me:ermm:

honda300EXtreme
08-14-2007, 09:24 PM
well for shocks i would go with:

axis
motowoz
pep
tcs

a-arms and a plus 2 swinger i would go with
walsh
leager
houser

hungus07trx400
08-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks, 300. Well while I still want this Quad to be a quad in the sense that it will perform well, It's just the type of build I feel like doing I think. I like the 400's, and the whole comrarderie and passion that their owners seem to have for them. Im already planning on buying a new 450 soon, not sure which manufacturer yet, and that thing could look like hell dipped in agony as long as it rips. Thanks for the input guys!

allstock
08-14-2007, 09:45 PM
axis, pep, motowoz, tcs, stadium are all good shocks and as for a arms leager, houser, smc, atv four play.. on the expensive side of a arms walsh, gibson, roll design