PDA

View Full Version : spray painting a-arms soon. help/tips?

SET THE STAGE
08-14-2007, 02:02 PM
i'm wanting to do the bottoms black and the tops white. obviously i'm going to need to sand them down bare and get most-all of the paint off.

does anybody have any tips for making sure it's on there pretty good and won't chip off instantly?

i'd PC them but i don't have 50 dollars to just throw around at the moment

54warrior
08-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I painted the arms similar to that on my Warrior a few years back. I just used some regular old Rust Oleum paint. I heard to stay away from the Krylon products.

If the finish that's currently on them isn't to bad, you really don't need to go and sand them down to bare metal. Just scuff it up a bit. Throw some primer on there, several coats, then paint away. I'd add some clear as well when your done, will make them glossier.

If you use Rust-O primer, use Rust-O paint and clear.

If you use Brand X primer, use Brand X paint and clear.

YFZ450Ridr
08-14-2007, 02:06 PM
well sand them down good, mabye put some primer on first then put 2 or 3 coats of paint then some clear coat. the tops will probablly last a lot longer than the bottoms. a pair of a arm skid plates will also help prolong the life of the paint.

i spray painted my old gytr bumper black. 3 coats black 3 coats clear and i sanded it down before hand it it still chipped really easy, i mean REAL easy. i would save for powdercoat myself, 50 bucks isnt very expsenive. mow a few lawns!:cool:

Ghost-Rider
08-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Rust-Oleum

but i would just manage to get the $50 for a PC job.

Scott-300ex
08-14-2007, 04:11 PM
If you get a-arm skids then it will cover the bottom and the front and back so don't do that.

And you could sandblast them but I'd just scuff it, them I'd throw a lot of coats on there, then fade it to the top to bottom color, not a line, kinda like let the overspray make the line, that would look real cool. And practice the first few layers so you get good at it with the finall spray.

infantry317
08-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Save a few nickels & send em to Pappy for PC!

pro-rider46
08-14-2007, 06:09 PM
try using a very high quality paint like ppg, dont use cheap stuff you can buy anywhere, ppg is what we use a tech. plus it is only like 13 bucks a can and they mix the color you want and put it in a spray can right in front of you. it holds up like oem. so its good stuff. and no need to clear, it is shiny by itself.

pro-rider46
08-14-2007, 06:11 PM
here is a pic, i forgot to attach it to the first post

ZeroLogic
08-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I used the PJ1 paint from Rocky Mountain when I painted my old 300ex's frame, a-arms and swing arm and what not. I stipped it down to bare metal. Put three or four coats of primer on there in a two day period. Let it sit for a few days. Then every morning and night I sprayed on a coat of the PJ1 paint. I did around five to eight coats on paint depending on where it was on the bike. (More vulnerable parts got more paint.) I let the parts sit for a week then sprayed three or four coats of clear coat in a three day period. Then I just let the parts sit for a week.

Worked for me.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=103&navTitle=Chemicals&webCatId=23&prodFamilyId=3535

ZeroLogic
08-14-2007, 07:27 PM

ZeroLogic
08-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Just tell me if you want more.

08-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Just tell me if you want more.

How's it holding up?

pro-rider46
08-14-2007, 09:45 PM
yeah that pj1 is high quality also, i dont think zerologic has it anymore

ZeroLogic
08-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Yea I sold it to my bro, he ruined it in my opinion.:ermm:

She held up well for me. Took the beating of winter in PA. IE sand salt rocks. Then help up during mud and a lot of trail/pit riding. Only got one or two chips on the a arms when I sold it.

My bro still has it and it looks just as good as the day I put it all back together when I got done rebuilding it.

Pappy
08-14-2007, 09:50 PM
when i have to paint a part like stock arms, i use farm equipment enamel. your limited to basic colors but it holds up much better then any other liquid paint ive found readily available and is inexpensive.

if you have powdercoated arms, good luck getting it off there to get to a clean base to start the paint work.

as far as spray painting anything, ill believe it when i see it after its been in service. i get 2 or 3 frames a month here to redo after someone tried the cheap route so i know anyone saying spray bomb holds up either doesnt ride or is full of bunk.

allstock
08-14-2007, 10:22 PM
paint it... hang them somwhere in a garage/shed and let the bake with a heater in there

2strokeTim
08-15-2007, 12:51 PM
rust oleum

REDRIDDER
08-15-2007, 01:01 PM
PJ1 =EPOXY PAINT HOLDS NICE....i think Pappy would agree if you go cheap go epoxy its strong and yes its not PC but it ill do for now lol..I've used pj1 and its nicer than you would think coming from a rattle can.

Hondarluvr
08-15-2007, 01:52 PM
I would just wait til u can afford pc it will be cheaper and better looking in the long run trust me! The cost of quality paint will be more than u think and it will not last nearly as well as pc- which means u will be repainting often to keep them lookin decent -just my experience. Hope this helps

Sjorge450R
08-22-2007, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i get 2 or 3 frames a month here to redo after someone tried the cheap route so i know anyone saying spray bomb holds up either doesnt ride or is full of bunk.

We'll I know that i ride hard...lol. The frame and sub frame that i painted in june is still holding up extreamly well. 3 races and there are finally some small chips on the a arms, but nothing compared to how bad they were before they were stripped and painted. I just used some paint stripper and a wire wheel on a drill. Just make sure your face is covered.....lol. Here it is. The only spots on the frame that are wearing are the usually spots where PC doesnt even hold. But dont worry ken, you will be seeing this frame sometime between now and next year.... I need some sparkle red!

Sjorge450R
08-22-2007, 05:50 AM
heres a front shot. Maybe you can see some of the chips. And those are only there because here in PA, everywhere we ride is rocks, so you are always getting nailed by them.