PDA

View Full Version : Rotella oil users..??

Nick110
08-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Im thinking of switching to Rotella for my transmission since I just blew mine. For those of you that have made the switch, why did you do it?

I was talking to some people at Lorettas and most of them have never even herd of the stuff, then when i told them it was Diesel oil they looked at me like I was crazy.

ATP engines says to run it, MotoXperts.com said to run it. Has anyone talked to any other motor builders about it?

Thanks guys feel free to post anything else you want about it.

malibuj
08-14-2007, 12:41 PM
There was alot of praise for it on t r x . 4 5 0 r . o r g. I think Dez wrote most of the threads on it.

A good site to read about and compare oils is w w w. b o b i s t h e o i l g u y . c o m.

DEAL
08-14-2007, 12:53 PM
I've been using it for 2 years now, started when I had the rekluse then I kept using it when I took it out.
Seems to work good although I haven't really compared it to anything else in quite some time. I also use it in my top end.

MR.BIG
08-14-2007, 02:46 PM
My engine builder swears by it so thats what i am using:macho

AtvMxRider
08-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
For those of you that have made the switch, why did you do it?

Because I get it for free:devil:

Sjorge450R
08-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I use it because i was told just liek you to use it from many engine builders, plus rekluse back when i had my rekluse in. I love the stuff. Seems to take a little longer to turn black as well (i never let it turn, but i can see it turning right before i change it). Change to Rottella and never look back.

400exrider707
08-14-2007, 03:17 PM
What were you using before... to me its still just a 15w40 like basic motor oil. I noticed smoother shifts and less false neutrals once I made the switch to Honda red bottle tranny oil, and now that I've switched that to klotz tranny oil it seems even less, though not as much of a difference as going from basic motor oil to the honda red bottle stuff.

d3ktrix
08-14-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't like the white rotella in my tranny.
When I was using it I would always get false neutrals and miss shift more then ever.
I switched to Belray Gear Saver and everything is much smoother now. When I shift it actually goes to the next gear every time now :P

Tho I do think I have a bent shift fork because it's hard to get my bike into neutral.

Dave400ex
08-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Nick did you talk to Toby at MotoXperts about the tranny mod anymore?

mx1791
08-14-2007, 05:36 PM
my bike shifted harshly with rotella, with a few false neutrals. i started using it becouse my friend said to try it, and thats what DRG told him to use. i went to gear saver now and my tranny doesnt clunk through all the gears anymore, and not one false neutral.

Nick110
08-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Nick did you talk to Toby at MotoXperts about the tranny mod anymore?

No.

Seems like you either love it or hate it. Im still undecided on using it.

allstock
08-14-2007, 08:41 PM
i used to use it in the tranny side and it made my bike shift like crap so now im back to bel ray gear saver but i still use it in the engine side

chad502ex
08-15-2007, 11:25 AM
the rider in the last video on the following link is using rotella...

http://www.box.net/shared/c1y1ilphi8

:macho: zoom into the signature on that engine too!!! LOL!

many builders prefer Rotella as the breakdown and shear factor of the oil is bar-none the best available.

Dez is king of oil! trust me he is the encylopedia of oils... many oil professionals get his advice.

Rotella is the million mile 18 wheeler TRUCK DRIVER CHOICE too.. there is a reason that the trucks are able to drive over 1 million highway miles.... these atv's don't even come close to heat loads that BIG RIGS do...

bent shift forks cause "false neutrals"- not oil.

use the oil you want, as long as your happy and change the oil frequently everyone should be fine... once you start building monster power, oil shear/viscosity become a serious concern.

MR.BIG
08-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Hey thats my beast!LOL
That is my DRG motor pulling the biggest hills at trevorton.

Originally posted by chad502ex
the rider in the last video on the following link is using rotella...

http://www.box.net/shared/c1y1ilphi8

:macho: zoom into the signature on that engine too!!! LOL!

many builders prefer Rotella as the breakdown and shear factor of the oil is bar-none the best available.

Dez is king of oil! trust me he is the encylopedia of oils... many oil professionals get his advice.

Rotella is the million mile 18 wheeler TRUCK DRIVER CHOICE too.. there is a reason that the trucks are able to drive over 1 million highway miles.... these atv's don't even come close to heat loads that BIG RIGS do...

bent shift forks cause "false neutrals"- not oil.

use the oil you want, as long as your happy and change the oil frequently everyone should be fine... once you start building monster power, oil shear/viscosity become a serious concern.

chad502ex
08-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
Hey thats my beast!LOL
That is my DRG motor pulling the biggest hills at trevorton.

Dont you use Rotella T in your DRG engine climbing those huge engine/tranny load bearing hills in PA?

LOL!!!

buck naked-r
08-16-2007, 07:48 AM
well like most of you i had shifting problems with the 15/40 rottela

but with the straight 30w rottella i don't

its clear that the 15/40 will cause tranny prblems because too many people are having the same problem so i would not use it in the tranny.........i don't care what the builders tell you you better listen to the signs thats its not good for the tranny or you may be buying a new one one day

wppracing
08-16-2007, 08:07 AM
I have been using Rotella 15w/40 in the trans side for over 1.5 years. No problems at all.

Some people can " f " up boiling water.

chad502ex
08-16-2007, 08:08 AM
can someone explain how 15W Rotella is a problem for your tranny shifting and 30W Rotella isn't?

:rolleyes:

chad502ex
08-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by wppracing
I have been using Rotella 15w/40 in the trans side for over 1.5 years. No problems at all.

Some people can " f " up boiling water.

LMFAO boiling water- i'd bet some could even burn it like toast tooo,... thanks for your input Brian... ...Brian, certainly I dont mean you, but saying 30W is better than 15W is just nutzs!...

LOL!!!

buck naked-r
08-16-2007, 09:20 AM
30w was better

i guess ALL these people that is having shifting problems with that oil is just f up's

it can't be the oil :rolleyes:

chris46250r
08-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by buck naked-r
30w was better

i guess ALL these people that is having shifting problems with that oil is just f up's

it can't be the oil :rolleyes:

Your right, its not the oil.

chris46250r
08-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Some peoples issues are in thier head, not thier transmission.

MR.BIG
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Dont you use Rotella T in your DRG engine climbing those huge engine/tranny load bearing hills in PA?

LOL!!!

Yes I do no problems at all!

buck naked-r
08-16-2007, 03:31 PM
to the guy that started this thread

just look at how many HAVE had problems vs. the few that didn't YET and judge by that weather or not to run it

i vote you find yourself a VERY GOOD atv oil and save the MACK TRUCK oil for the MACK TRUCKS

honda4life72
08-16-2007, 03:38 PM
if the oil gives u problems shifting , then don't run any like i do :devil: zero shift problems for me :rolleyes:

Nick110
08-16-2007, 05:29 PM
to the guy that started this thread

just look at how many HAVE had problems vs. the few that didn't YET and judge by that weather or not to run it

i vote you find yourself a VERY GOOD atv oil and save the MACK TRUCK oil for the MACK TRUCKS

Thats what I was going to do. Seems like gear saver oil is the one that works best.

tfuchs
08-17-2007, 10:59 PM
FYI, The only reason that the oil would take longer to get black would be the high detergency level in a diesel oil. Once you run it its gonna clean out your engine.

SO...Why Shell Rotella???

There are better diesel engine oils out there. Shell has just done an amazing job of marketing. Almost any oil on the market will get a 18 wheeler to 1 million miles, especailly as often as most people change their oil in their trucks.

tfuchs
08-17-2007, 11:01 PM
LMFAO boiling water- i'd bet some could even burn it like toast tooo,... thanks for your input Brian... ...Brian, certainly I dont mean you, but saying 30W is better than 15W is just nutzs!...

LOL!!!

the 15w40 when the engine/tranny gets warmed up will in theory be a 40w oil.

So you are actually comparing 30w vs. 40w.

chad502ex
08-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by tfuchs
the 15w40 when the engine/tranny gets warmed up will in theory be a 40w oil.

So you are actually comparing 30w vs. 40w.

Regardless, comparing false neutrals or missed shifts to oil viscosity is absurd. More accurately, a mechanical misalignment or bent shift fork is the common denominator with these aforementioned shifting issues. Suggesting that oil is the cause of improper shifting that end with bending shift forks is ludicrous.

......,,,, BUCK, it appears your interest is to start crap with me again. I think its best that others see your real intent... I would suggest you knock off your juvenile predictable BS with me and stick with the sites that are still left welcoming you..

http://www.*******.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4704&st=0

For the other peeps in this thread still interested in technical education regarding Rotella, I told you,... click the link above for everything you need to know about "MACK-TRUCK" oil or why all the professionals are using it

it's just oil, huh?

buck naked-r
08-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Regardless, comparing false neutrals or missed shifts to oil viscosity is absurd. More accurately, a mechanical misalignment or bent shift fork is the common denominator with these aforementioned shifting issues. Suggesting that oil is the cause of improper shifting that end with bending shift forks is ludicrous.

......,,,, BUCK, it appears your interest is to start crap with me again. I think its best that others see your real intent... I would suggest you knock off your juvenile predictable BS with me and stick with the sites that are still left welcoming you..

http://www.*******.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4704&st=0

For the other peeps in this thread still interested in technical education regarding Rotella, I told you,... click the link above for everything you need to know about "MACK-TRUCK" oil or why all the professionals are using it

it's just oil, huh?

ok everyone in this thread that said that rottella has caused tranny problem....CHAD is calling US stupid

IF its a shift fork WHY IS IT THAT WHEN WE CHANGED OILS IT STOPPED.............:rolleyes: CAN YOU READ CHAD your more like a tech dummy

tfuchs
08-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Mack Truck Oil, do you mean the brand. You do realize that Mack Trucks are a brand name and they have their own Label of oil.

The oils that everyone is referring to is known as HDMO...or Heavy Duty Motor Oil, not Mack Truck Oil.

In the diesel engine world there is documented proof that I can show you showing that Shell is not the best for Oxidation, soot wear and other things.

Dont get me wrong, I am not all against Shell, I actually sell the stuff but I have other brands that I recommend first.

I have more access to HDMO than most and I still use the proper oil designed to be in an atv. I dont need the excessive detergents and other additives in HDMO in my atv engine.

tfuchs
08-18-2007, 11:15 AM
So heres a fire starter...Why not just run a 90w Gear Oil in the Tranny?

I really wanna see what you guys say about this.

chad502ex
08-18-2007, 12:33 PM
ok everyone in this thread that said that rottella has caused tranny problem....CHAD is calling US stupid

IF its a shift fork WHY IS IT THAT WHEN WE CHANGED OILS IT STOPPED.............:rolleyes: CAN YOU READ CHAD your more like a tech dummy

Buck, this is the last time I waste my energy communicating with you. Trust me, if you can't get over your issues and simply communicate like an adult here on ATVRIDERS.com, then I will be making time to speak with HARLEN directly about your attackings. I can not say it clearly enough.... do not put words in my mouth about calling everyone "STUPID" about a simple topic as oil. Your pattern lately across all boards is becoming seriously annoying, not only to me, but to many others on the other boards you have not gotten banned from "YET". Even the board where I posted a link seems to always reply to your posting with aggravation to your twistings while trying to communicate with you. Unlike yourself, I do not start threads on other forums for the sole purpose of pointing fingers to ATVRIDERS, and try to gather the masses on a topic where you disagree with the mechanical aspect of the transmission malfunction that I presented. Get over it!

If you have an opinion to the thread topic where I'm participating, state your opinion and leave it at that. Since you've never provided any technical information other than your opinion, then I would expect to start seeing your point start with "IMO" rather than "Based on fact".

I'm done with this ridiculus discussion. Debate it amongst yourselves.

regards,....

buck naked-r
08-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Buck, this is the last time I waste my energy communicating I presented. Get over it!

If you have an opinion to the thread topic where I'm participating, state your opinion and leave it at that. Since you've never provided any technical information other than your opinion, then I would expect to start seeing your point start with "IMO" rather than "Based on fact".

regards,....

guess thats why you got a foot in your *** on the other sites

cause you know so much...yet know nothing

i guess we all have bad tranny boys

thats what CHAD SAID

honda4life72
08-19-2007, 07:35 PM
buck does have a point , chad explain why u get less false shifts when u change the oil? i'm not trying to start nution but buck is not attacking u he is sayin your acting stupid to try and tell the people on here that its the forks not the oil when 5-6 people have commented that changing to oil made it stop. i'm not trying to say u don't know anything bout quads or motors . u make good stuff from what i have heard but still don't go off on the man on here do it in a pm , we don't want to here both of u bicker at each other.

honda4life72
08-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Buck, this is the last time I waste my energy communicating with you. Trust me, if you can't get over your issues and simply communicate like an adult here on ATVRIDERS.com, then I will be making time to speak with HARLEN directly about your attackings. I can not say it clearly enough.... do not put words in my mouth about calling everyone "STUPID" about a simple topic as oil. Your pattern lately across all boards is becoming seriously annoying, not only to me, but to many others on the other boards you have not gotten banned from "YET". Even the board where I posted a link seems to always reply to your posting with aggravation to your twistings while trying to communicate with you. Unlike yourself, I do not start threads on other forums for the sole purpose of pointing fingers to ATVRIDERS, and try to gather the masses on a topic where you disagree with the mechanical aspect of the transmission malfunction that I presented. Get over it!

regards,....

so let me get this , your sayign that if you post in a topic then your anwser is automaticly right??noone else has a opion in it? liek buck? sounds to me like your doing the attacking , or it could be a engine builder thing :rolleyes: