PDA

View Full Version : hare scramble 450r

TITAN450R
08-14-2007, 08:33 AM
I was wondering if anyone could assist me in the setup of my 06 450er. I would like to race in some scrambles this winter but am not sure about the setup for my bike. A little info on me I am 36 weigh 210 lbs 5' 10". My bike is bone stock except for Pro Armour nerf bars and fat pegs, and K&N filter. Any advice would be a great help to me. Just not sure where to start on the bike. So if anybody has any ideas about suspension exhaust handlebars motor mods etc... let me hear your ideas thanks, Allen......:D

JCoop
08-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Well if you are going to race XC then you need to invest in some good skid plates and some 6 ply tires. I think everyone around here will agree that Pro Armor skids or PRM skids would be the way to go. Maxxis or ITP for the tires should do the trick. Once you get that taken care of you may want to look into the suspension department. GT Thunder does rebuilds and they work wonders compared to your stock shocks. As far as the motor, racing xc is all about being consistent. You dont have to have the strongest motor or fastest quad to do well in a race. Worry about protecting your quad and making it handle better and that should get you going in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

TITAN450R
08-14-2007, 11:17 AM
thanks coop my engine is completely stock should i add exhaust or maybe hrc power up kit to be more competitive? thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated

JCoop
08-14-2007, 12:26 PM
A slip on would help it out. It would allow the motor to breath better which in turn would allow for more power. I run a HMF Sport series slip on and it helped it a lot. There are many companies that make very good pipes. Just your personal preference on which one. As far as going with an HRC kit, I have heard that they are very nice. I went from a z400 to a 450r so the stock motor with the slip on is more then enough for me.

I see you are located in TN. Do you plan on running the MidSouth hare scrambles? I am in Murfreesboro TN, where do you ride?

08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Tires, Nerf bars, skid plates, GT Thunder suspension, Steering stabilizer, Kill switch.

ryann mx68
08-14-2007, 02:36 PM
i would ditch the k+n, get a uni or twin air filter, or any foam filter even the stocker.

the best mod you can do.. is to get your suspension revalved. the stockers will kill you.

suspension revalve
steering stabilizer
frame and swinger skids

your motor will be fine for now, if you want to do a exhaust, thats alright.

JCoop
08-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I agree with Ryann the K&N filters are good but a Twin Air or Uni are the way to go. I run a Twin Air and love them.

If you decide to get your suspension redone look into the GT Thunder rebuilds. (www.gtthunder.com) They are very nice, they just released a new piston for the rear that helps the oil flow better. I just got mine back from him with the new piston.....all I can say is smooth!

Sjorge450R
08-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Santo Derisi over at Derisi racing knows his stuff about shocks. unliek GT, he is almost 100% devoted to working on ATV shocks. For Xc he does a dual rate front and a single rate rear with a new linkage. He compeltly changes all the shocks and uses new pistons/valving/springs. He also modifies the shocks to gain almost 2 more inches of wheel travel. He runs about 700 for the whole setup.

TITAN450R
08-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the input goes to show how much I know, thought K&N was the best filter out there(lol). Thanks for all the help. Is it cheaper to send your shocks to GT Thunder and get them done than it is to buy new suspension, and is it a big enough improvement to warrant the cost difference if there is any? thanks allen

katch26
08-14-2007, 04:01 PM
IMO yes, valving is what makes a good shock good. For instance elkas have great peices but come from the factory with **** for valving. If youre just starting out then new high end shocks arent gonna be worth the expense seeing as they arent going to make you any faster only experience will.....and thats free:D

K&N with an outerwear and youll be just fine but make sure to always keep it nice and oiled.

ryann mx68
08-14-2007, 04:29 PM
yup, i got santo's revalves and xc rear link, and i am very pleased with the shocks. amazing what he can do to these.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f345/ryannconstruct/DSC00540.jpg

pro-rider46
08-14-2007, 06:02 PM
you will be fine with a k&n just maintain it. for the suspension c&D does rebuilds and it doesnt come with a link. but they use zps to lower the ride height and i am most likely sending them there this winter.

BlaineKaiser450
08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by ryann mx68
yup, i got santo's revalves and xc rear link, and i am very pleased with the shocks. amazing what he can do to these.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f345/ryannconstruct/DSC00540.jpg thats a nice quad!

ryann mx68
08-15-2007, 10:45 AM
thanks....

titan450r....check your pm's