PDA

View Full Version : Good Idea yay or nay

JJs450r
08-13-2007, 06:10 PM
well i figured id ask before i did, since my heel gaurds are bent and starting to crack (pro armor) i figured i might cut em off whats your thoughts?

YFZ450Ridr
08-13-2007, 06:14 PM
i would, ever since i took off my stock plastic ones on my yfz i like it much better! with boots on you never know they are gone! looks better and when i took them off i picked up some stock 450r pegs free and did this..

JJs450r
08-13-2007, 06:25 PM
ya that the exact idea i had was using my stock pegs and doing something like that but im runing the fat pegs so the heel gaurds are the pro armor ones

416exfreak
08-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Take them to a welding shop and get them sewed back up...

Nothing sucks more than getting your foot/leg sucked under your quad because you had no heel guards...:(

JJs450r
08-13-2007, 07:08 PM
haha and that was another thingi was thinking of but dont it cost alot of money to get aluminum welded

rollie
08-13-2007, 07:12 PM
go ahead and cut them, save up some money and buy raths!!!:cool:

JJs450r
08-13-2007, 07:31 PM
i wouldnt be savin any haha these are welded on the frame :(

440racer66
08-13-2007, 10:56 PM
haha cut em off real men ride without protection and risk it all haha jk but yeah i run without them on my honda there really isnt too much room to get your leg stuck in the tire because the plastic on the honda. but i agree on a yfz i would there is just too much of a gap

Ghost-Rider
08-13-2007, 11:01 PM
You're going to regret cutting them off when your rear tire decides to eat your leg.

GPracer2500
08-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Anyone remember that magazine add by [some company that sold nerfs with heal guards]? They had a real-life picture of a rider in a race who had both legs caught under the rear wheels. I'm sure he needed reconstructive surgery on both knees after that. It looked extremely painful.

gncc025
08-14-2007, 12:07 AM
ive went with out em. dont recommended it. i almost had my leg swallowed numerous times:scary:

JJs450r
08-14-2007, 12:19 AM
ya it sucks cus some times the will scrap the tires :-/ so im not sure yet

tim colston
08-14-2007, 06:23 AM
I like the fact that they keep gobs of mud from slinging off the back tire. Now that I think of it they tend to hold a lot of mud in those heel guards. Sounds like a catch 22, I however would get them welded. I think it would be better on the resale end if you chose to get new ones.

Ruby Soho
08-14-2007, 09:04 AM
i would keep them, maybe weld a new bracket underneath the crack and bend them back up. i think they're worth it, ive gotten my leg eaten up once. not fun.

Toadz400
08-14-2007, 01:10 PM
I would never ride a quad without heel guards again. I have the stock heel guards with AC nerfs on my YFZ and wouldn't have it any other way. I plan on fabricating a set of YFZ pegs to fit on my Banshee as I love the set up.

Nick110
08-14-2007, 06:20 PM
I have never had my foot or leg come close to getting sucked into the rear tire. I havent had heelguards for the last 4 years.

08-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Jeremy just fabricate your own heelguards....thats what were gonna do here soon probably. There was a guy at jmp that did it and had netting like the raths and it looked awesome! If you were wanting aluminum welding though, that guy near ccmx is pretty cheap (the one that did my radiator and nerfs)

krt400ex
08-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by 440racer66
real men ride without protection and risk it all p

haha, funny :D

400exrider707
08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
I have never had my foot or leg come close to getting sucked into the rear tire. I havent had heelguards for the last 4 years.

its not even that alone... sure getting pulled off of your own quad by ... well yourself... would not be fun, but does anyone think about what happens if another rider runs into you right there? I had it happen in a race. A guy hit me so hard from behind his front tire went up and over my rear and while I was on the gas my rear sucked his front right down in between my tire and my heel guard. It was stuck so hard that I couldn't even spin my tires anymore. It took 4 guys to pull them apart.... I cant imagine what would have happened if that force went into my foot/leg instead of my heel guard.:ermm:

JJs450r
08-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by #101
Jeremy just fabricate your own heelguards....thats what were gonna do here soon probably. There was a guy at jmp that did it and had netting like the raths and it looked awesome! If you were wanting aluminum welding though, that guy near ccmx is pretty cheap (the one that did my radiator and nerfs)

help me design some you seen the price of aluminum :-x wow loli was thinkin about not cuttin all of but some off if that makes ne since

Toadz400
08-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Anyone remember that magazine add by [some company that sold nerfs with heal guards]? They had a real-life picture of a rider in a race who had both legs caught under the rear wheels. I'm sure he needed reconstructive surgery on both knees after that. It looked extremely painful.

Because my Banshee didn't have heel guards I had a trip to the ER, many visits to different doctor's getting different X-ray's and an MRI. Then the joy of undergoing shoulder surgery where they inserted anchors to keep my arm in place because nothing is left holding it in. I also have 4 scars on the front of my shoulder and 1 in the back because of the surgery. Now I can't ride for at least 6 months and will never have 100% mobility in my left arm.

Yea, I think I'll take my heel guards thank you very much.:ermm:

250rmike
08-16-2007, 07:01 PM
if you ride with riding boots you can do without them as the boots will protect your ankles and lower leg(had an ankle eaten once) its really just personel preference i havent had heal gaurds on any of my bikes since prolly 01 on my blaster

Toadz400
08-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by 250rmike
if you ride with riding boots you can do without them as the boots will protect your ankles and lower leg(had an ankle eaten once) its really just personel preference i havent had heal gaurds on any of my bikes since prolly 01 on my blaster

Boots do not save you. I was wearing all my protective gear. Helmet, goggles, jersey, boots, gloves, jersey, riding pants, and a kidney belt. None saved me from having to go through surgery and cost me a lot of money. Heel guards would've saved me from all that.

I will say that if I weren't wearing my boots, along with my shoulder injury I'm sure I would've had a broken ankle or worse.