PDA

View Full Version : lt160 help

RichM1983
08-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Ive been working on getting my dads old lt160 running. I know its not much but it gets the job done for him. Its been sitting for about 5 years. I changed the oil, put new gas in it, and made sure the air inlet and filter were in good shape. Surprisingly it was. The battery is dead so I had to jump it and it started pretty much instantly.

The problem is that once I warmed it up I tried riding it and it just wouldnt pull. It would power out and stall. I need to change the plug but I dont think that will fix it. It seems almost like the choke is on but its not. Could my problem be in the carb? I know its getting good gas flow to the carb. I was hoping somoene could give me a starting point. Once I change the plug and pull the carb and clean it im gonna try it again. Anyone know of anything else that could be a problem?

Could the auto clutch be stuck or something? Its the type of motor that you just give it gas and let off to shift between the gears, no clutch or anything.

Thanks.

Aceman
08-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Cleaning the carb after that long is a necessity. Sometimes motors will seem to run alright but 99% of the time you'll benefit from a good carb cleaning. Since it has sat so long, make sure to clean it well and verify the floats don't have holes in them. I literally will break a carb down as far as it will go and then blow brake cleaner through every passage I can find followed by compressed air. If you don't have a manual, you can usually just set the float parallel with the base of the carb.

RichM1983
08-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the reply aceman. Ill pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. This bike has lots of memories. Its been in the family since new. I can remember riding it to the school bus when the roads were to bad to get a car out. I wanna get it fixed so he can put around with me and my bro. I might end up rebuilding the whole motor. Thanks again.

RichM1983
08-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Anyone else have any ideas?