PDA

View Full Version : Dumb White Brothers E Series Spark Arrestor Question!

sewerrat
08-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Does anyone have an exploded view of the White Brothers E Series Exhaust?

I'm attempting to get my newly acquired 400ex to be quieter for the trails. I received a box of goodies with the quad and in there is a spark arrestor that is oval shaped like the end of my exhaust. Do I just take off the endcap and add the spark arrestor? Is there a gasket of some sort? Will this help quiet it down (its extremely loud right now and the end is open)?
I've also ordered the quiet core insert . . will this go on along with the spark arrestor or in replace of?

Thanks

CarGuy7a
08-13-2007, 05:18 PM
is the spark arrestor just like a flat plate with holes drilled around the perimeter or is it like a cone screen type?

if it's just the flat plate style, take all the screws out and put it right behind the end cap and put the screws back in.

actually with just the plate style in it it's pretty quiet. if it's that style put it in and see what you think.

i would say the quiet core would replace the plate style.

08-13-2007, 05:25 PM
I had the e series and the silencer or w/e is a seriers or rings that direct the exhaust out the sides and the last 1 there is a block off plate.

sewerrat
08-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
is the spark arrestor just like a flat plate with holes drilled around the perimeter or is it like a cone screen type?

if it's just the flat plate style, take all the screws out and put it right behind the end cap and put the screws back in.

actually with just the plate style in it it's pretty quiet. if it's that style put it in and see what you think.

i would say the quiet core would replace the plate style.

Yep, just a flat plate with screw holes. I assume the exhaust escapes through the rings/discs then, correct?

JOEX
08-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by sewerrat
Yep, just a flat plate with screw holes. I assume the exhaust escapes through the rings/discs then, correct?
Correct.

sewerrat
08-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Alright, got it on and it sounds 100 times better. I think once the quiet core gets here I'll be good to go.

oleboy87
08-13-2007, 08:44 PM
i have one and this thing is soooooo damn loud its rediculous... like i have the cops called on me almost everytime i ride and i like in the country where ppl dont usually care but thats just how loud it is... its old and needs to be repacked but i cant get the can off.. i have an hmf on the way now...

flauge
08-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Also when you get the quiet core, remember that it goes infront of the discs. ;)

sewerrat
08-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by flauge
Also when you get the quiet core, remember that it goes infront of the discs. ;)

So I run both the quiet core and the spark arrestor?

flauge
08-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Yea thats how i run mine, its pretty quiet. u probably could run with just the quiet core but i never tried it tho.. Now that i think about it i just might try it.:p

Remember from the pipe its: Q/c--discs--flat end cap--tip...
:cool:

zdowell
08-14-2007, 08:49 AM
I think Thursday i will try that. Ill put the quiet core in and take the spark arrester off. See how it sounds/performs. Ill be sure to borrow the *** dyno from my dad.

sewerrat
08-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Remember from the pipe its: Q/c--discs--flat end cap--tip...
:cool: [/B]

Are you sure?
I just picked this up
Ebay Item number: 300142062950

and its got a pipe on it. Does that go into the muffler? If so, it seems like that would be backwards.

mx825
08-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by oleboy87
i have one and this thing is soooooo damn loud its rediculous... like i have the cops called on me almost everytime i ride and i like in the country where ppl dont usually care but thats just how loud it is... its old and needs to be repacked but i cant get the can off.. i have an hmf on the way now...

HMF isn't known to be quiet!

oleboy87
08-16-2007, 04:26 PM
yea i know hmf is not the quietest thing on the market but the white bros that i have now jsut sounds hollow... doesnt sound tuned!! i know the db's has got to be around 106 its jsut that loud! but i have to quiet core coming with the hmf soo its going to sound alotttttt better!

flauge
08-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Are you sure?
I just picked this up
Ebay Item number: 300142062950

and its got a pipe on it. Does that go into the muffler? If so, it seems like that would be backwards. Ya thats the same one Ive got. It looks kinda like a turndown tip but when you get it you'll notice that the pipe goes thru the plate at an angle, I guess to deflect some of the sound before it goes thru the plates.... I dont think it would do much good being after the plates, it probably would be louder since there would be another opening for the exhaust to go thru.:ermm:

sewerrat
08-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by flauge
Ya thats the same one Ive got. It looks kinda like a turndown tip but when you get it you'll notice that the pipe goes thru the plate at an angle, I guess to deflect some of the sound before it goes thru the plates.... I dont think it would do much good being after the plates, it probably would be louder since there would be another opening for the exhaust to go thru.:ermm:

So, when installed, the pipe faces the front of the quad, thus going into the muffler?

mx825
08-17-2007, 11:20 AM
yea i know hmf is not the quietest thing on the market but the white bros that i have now jsut sounds hollow... doesnt sound tuned!! i know the db's has got to be around 106 its jsut that loud! but i have to quiet core coming with the hmf soo its going to sound alotttttt better!

106 is up there:eek:

JOEX
08-17-2007, 06:24 PM
So, when installed, the pipe faces the front of the quad, thus going into the muffler?
Yes, the 'pipe' part goes into the silencer. Note how the mounting plate is formed like the discs.

oleboy87
08-17-2007, 09:38 PM
ohh yes it is wayyy toooo loud! i tryed to re-pack it but i couldnt get the can off... soo its time to retire the white bros

JOEX
08-17-2007, 10:04 PM
ohh yes it is wayyy toooo loud! i tryed to re-pack it but i couldnt get the can off... soo its time to retire the white bros
:huh