PDA

View Full Version : 450(4-Stroke)vs 250/125(2-Stroke) What's faster?

4LEAFCLOVER
08-13-2007, 02:04 PM
I know this is a 4-wheeler forum but I'm debating on crossing over to the dirtbike world. And I'm wondering what's faster and what would be a better fit for me. I don't ride motorcross or anything like that. I just ride for fun and drag my friends for fun. What would be the fastest bike, one of the new 450F dirtbikes or a old 250 2-stroke or 125 2-stroke?

I'm looking at buying a YZF 450F or a KDX 450F.

Any suggestions??

sandmanblue
08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
If you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be buying the 250 or the 450....

4LEAFCLOVER
08-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Well I'm new to the dirtbike side of the house so I wouldn't know. I've rode a KX 125 and a YZ 125 but I just was wondering how I would fare if I was to purchase either of the two? 450F or 250

Flyin-Low
08-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah, my buddy bought a cr250 to go along with his quad.. and he was fairly new to the dirtbike world as well.

He sold the bike within 2 weeks of buying it because it ended with the bone in his leg sticking out of the skin. Not a pretty sight.

So if your new to bikes, don't buy the fastest chit out there.

-Martin

sandmanblue
08-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by 4LEAFCLOVER
Well I'm new to the dirtbike side of the house so I wouldn't know. I've rode a KX 125 and a YZ 125 but I just was wondering how I would fare if I was to purchase either of the two? 450F or 250

Buy a 125 and after you feel confident enough, sell it and buy the 250.

There are far too many ppl out there that buy stuff because they want power, but 2 wheelers can be plenty fun with only 30 hp. Keep in mind that the 125's only weigh about 195 lbs, and if you're on a track, believe it or not, a 125 can run nearly the same lap times as a 250.

4LEAFCLOVER
08-13-2007, 07:00 PM
So are the 250F dirtbikes pretty much the same thing as a 125 2-stroke? And the 450F pretty much the same thing as the 250 2-stroke? I'm not a motorcross guy. I pretty much ride for fun and drag race friends. My cousin has an 05 KX 125 and he just talks mad junk to me about how fast it is. Don't get me wrong, it's fast but I want something that's going to at least keep up with him or blow him away.

coolkid91
08-13-2007, 08:32 PM
the 2smokes will be funner to drive because of the hit,faster in a drag.less to maintain/alot less/rebuilds are a hole lot cheaper

HB-Roost
08-13-2007, 09:02 PM
From experience, the two strokes will have their arse handed to them in a drag, and are harder to ride on a track by far (like most places, actually). They still have a great fun factor to them (two-strokes), are cheaper to build and (usually) maintain, and can be bought for cheaper, though.

As said, I would start out with a 125 and work your way up from there. They still have plenty of go, and are fun to ride.

sandmanblue
08-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by HB-Roost
From experience, the two strokes will have their arse handed to them in a drag, and are harder to ride on a track by far (like most places, actually). They still have a great fun factor to them, are cheaper to build and (usually) maintain, and can be bought for cheaper.

As said, I would start out with a 125 and work your way up from there. They still have plenty of go, and are fun to ride.

I think the maintenance aspect is important here. The newer 4 strokes need more TLC than the 2 strokes. You can get a 125 for less money and run the piss out of it. You can't over-rev them, the motors are basically bulletproof. As long as you use decent premix, you won't need to do squat.

At the stage of buying a first two wheeler, the most important thing IMHO is to learn to ride them well. A 125 forces you to learn to turn and brake and maintain momentum. It teaches clutch control and doesn't get you into the bad habit of relying on the motor to go fast. All of those skill will translate to bigger bikes later and in the end, you will be a better rider.

4ABURN
08-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Sandmanblue I agree with you 100% on your answer, that is so true about peaple not learning the skills to ride fast on a smaller bike first.:D :D

flowmasterz
08-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Some of my buddies have bikes a 125 a coulpe 450s and 250 2 strokes. And i have never owned a bike but i hate my buddies 125 its way to under powered if your of any size over an average guy. Truefully its not that hard to ride a bike i jump on them and ride thorugh any trails i take my atv im not an expert but i can ride fast enough. But honeslty its not as much fun in the trails as my 450 atv. I outrun my buddies all day long in the trails on it. There are constantly fightin to stay up and it wears the crap out them and there ready to quit and im just warmin up on my quad.

downeyballz
08-17-2007, 12:18 PM
ive always ridden quads, but i blew the engine n y atv so i rode my buddies rmx250 for a few weeks. its more fun to ride for me because its more challenging. and faster. when i got ackon a yfz450 it felt slow compared to the 250. i do feel safer o a quad though

3exrider23
08-17-2007, 02:21 PM
my buddy fasted a guy with a rm250 last week on his crf250 and took him both races. the guy on the rm said he had the whole motor rebuilt. my buddys crf was stock. it was a pretty far race. the thing is though the guy on the rm was in 4th and had plenty to go. my buddys crf was pretty much topped out.