PDA

View Full Version : axle bearing failed

pro-rider46
08-12-2007, 10:08 PM
well my axle bearing are screwed. i havent opened it up yet, but i will probably tommarow. but i can see that the bearings next to the rotor are shot. and the seal got twisted and ripped out. something also shifted, because my rotor rubbed up against my brake caliper. are these bearing easy to install and pull out. and what do you recommend for a new carrier if mine is screwed up. how much would i be looking at for a stock carrier.

Thanks.

08-13-2007, 06:42 AM
If it looks that bad from the outside I would bet the carrier is shot. I change my bearing once a year.

pro-rider46
08-13-2007, 12:02 PM
well i am going to go look at it in a second (i just woke up) but from the outside i can see that the bearings like case that hold the balls in. well that thing split

oh i will try to get pics, but i think my dad took our camera

MX MaNiAc 06
08-13-2007, 03:19 PM
If ur carrier is out, get a stock one. I dropped the money on a dual row and it went out faster than my stock one! Plus its not very hard to change out bearings. If u take it apart and lube the stock ones they will last a long time.

GIXXER1KR
08-13-2007, 11:42 PM
How do u lube a sealed bearing????

400exrider707
08-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
How do u lube a sealed bearing????

You pull one of the seals out and pack grease in it. I do this with all of these carrier bearings before I even put them in the carrier when they are new. Usually the bearings dont come with enough grease in them as it is so putting more in will help bearing life tremendously.

JW450R1
08-14-2007, 10:25 AM
LOL:)

kbass24emtp
08-14-2007, 11:48 AM
I have a tapered bearing carrier from RPM. It is pricy, but I just repack the bearing twice a year and it has been going strong with two race seasons on it. It is well worth the money.

08-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
You pull one of the seals out and pack grease in it. I do this with all of these carrier bearings before I even put them in the carrier when they are new. Usually the bearings dont come with enough grease in them as it is so putting more in will help bearing life tremendously.

I do the same thing before I install new bearing. You get a pick and pick the seals off of the bearings and pack them solid with good grease. You will be amazed how little grease is in there from the factory.

pro-rider46
08-21-2007, 09:38 PM
well i took it in to the dealership today and they called me a couple hours later and they said that they looked at the rear end and my bearings, carrier, brake hub, and axle are all trashed. and then he called honda and they said cover it under warranty so i am happy it doesnt cost a dime. that would have been like 700 bucks (estimated) just for the parts but i would have done it myself. so about a week and i will be out roosting around